New build and looking for some guidance

The General

^^^Ramblings are good bud! I appreciate all and any information or interest in this...it's turning out to be more money and effort than I expected!!! lol

The General

So I went and picked up some por-15 as I've figured out that its probably necessary with the rust on my trailer. I bought grey so that I can paint the por-15 directly and not have to prime the black stuff first...sounds logical, right?

So if I understand correctly, after I use a wire brush on the newly emerging rust...

1. I use the ready prep in a spray bottle and wet the entire trailer and keep it wet for 15 minutes.
2.Rinse the trailer well.
3.Dry immediately...maybe blow with air compressor or like Greg said leaf blower.
4.Use a brush and paint with por-15. I think 2 quarts will be enough?
5.While the por-15 is still wet paint the trailer.

Also, did you guys use por-15 on your leaf springs?

photo (1).JPG

The General

I took the tie downs ect to a "do it yourself" sandblasting. Cost 20$. It seems like it may be a pain to attempt to brush por-15 onto them. Also, I feel like because it will dry so hard that the swivels for the inside circular mounts wont spin. I should be fine to use an etching primer and paint. yes?

M101 harware.JPGM101 hardware blasted.JPG

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
So I went and picked up some por-15 as I've figured out that its probably necessary with the rust on my trailer. I bought grey so that I can paint the por-15 directly and not have to prime the black stuff first...sounds logical, right?

So if I understand correctly, after I use a wire brush on the newly emerging rust...

1. I use the ready prep in a spray bottle and wet the entire trailer and keep it wet for 15 minutes.
2.Rinse the trailer well.
3.Dry immediately...maybe blow with air compressor or like Greg said leaf blower.
4.Use a brush and paint with por-15. I think 2 quarts will be enough?

This is all correct. It seems counter-intuitive to spray your bare metal with a liquid, keep it wet and then wash it with water, but it works and kills the rust and helps with adhesion. I actually used a brush and a small foam roller, the 3" wide ones, works great and if you are good at it it comes out like you sprayed it. Work a panel at a time, looks awesome!

5.While the por-15 is still wet paint the trailer.

This, from what I know is not correct. I let the POR 15 dry overnight and then top coated it with the Marine Enamel the next day after a very thorough sanding and a dust off with a compressor and air gun.

Also, did you guys use por-15 on your leaf springs?

View attachment 166595

I did. I picked up yet another can of POR 15 in gloss for the undercarriage. POR 15 has poor UV stability, so if you use it topsides, it will fade and a gloss will turn to a flat pretty quick. Using it under the trailer, no big deal... if the underside of my trailer is seeing a lot of daylight, fading paint is the least of my worries! It worked great, sticks well and covers like tar. Shiny as day 1 under there.

I took the tie downs ect to a "do it yourself" sandblasting. Cost 20$. It seems like it may be a pain to attempt to brush por-15 onto them. Also, I feel like because it will dry so hard that the swivels for the inside circular mounts wont spin. I should be fine to use an etching primer and paint. yes?

View attachment 166630View attachment 166632

Use a good quality automotive Etching Primer and spray everything with a couple light coats. Then paint with your choice of finish. I actually was lucky, my round tie downs were in great shape, so I primed them in the tub and finish coated them with a spray rust paint. Then I painted the rest of the tub with the bed liner. My external rope ties looked like yours, so I stripped them when I was stripping the fenders and they look almost new! My triangle lights were not in good shape, I just did a quickie refurbish on them.

You did the right thing with the quality paint, our trailer will thank you!!

The General

This, from what I know is not correct. I let the POR 15 dry overnight and then top coated it with the Marine Enamel the next day after a very thorough sanding and a dust off with a compressor and air gun.
The guy who ran the shop where I bought the por-15 said that if I paint the trailer when the por-15 is still wet I can avoid having to do any sanding. Only if it dries does it need to be sanded?

VanIsle_Greg

Hmm.... interesting. I guess he is saying that if it is tacky you can get the 2 coats to bond more by the tack coat bonding with the wet top coat? As long as they are the same product, and they are...you could do that. I waited, because it was hot and I was done for the day when I finished priming. After, I hit it with some 220 grit, and busted off the nubs. I call my paint job a 10 footer, because it looks great from 10 feet! Up close, a little lumpy. Wasn't trying to make a caddy, just make it red and stop the rust.

It is still in excellent shape, will probably do another coat this year in the fall once the season is winding down. I have 3/4 liter left, so maybe it will be a 5 footer after another coat.

The General

Hmm.... interesting. I guess he is saying that if it is tacky you can get the 2 coats to bond more by the tack coat bonding with the wet top coat? As long as they are the same product, and they are...you could do that. I waited, because it was hot and I was done for the day when I finished priming. After, I hit it with some 220 grit, and busted off the nubs. I call my paint job a 10 footer, because it looks great from 10 feet! Up close, a little lumpy. Wasn't trying to make a caddy, just make it red and stop the rust.

It is still in excellent shape, will probably do another coat this year in the fall once the season is winding down. I have 3/4 liter left, so maybe it will be a 5 footer after another coat.

That's exactly what he was saying. The por-15 dries so hard that he said its difficult to get a good bond with the paint. I don't know...I'm in no way an expert in any of this stuff. I suppose I will por-15 and paint only the underside first then tip the trailer back over and do the top and inside of the tub at once.

The General

My lights arrived. They were a bit of a pain to get them shipped into Canada as I couldn't find a dealer who would order them. Eventually I found one and paid more than I would have liked. 180$ for the pair.

photo (2).JPG

The General

I will hopefully be painting soon and was thinking of doing it in camo. I was planning on rattle canning it with Rustoleum...they have a camo selection with flat tan, olive drab, black, brown and white. Having never done this before any advice would be more than welcome:) Something similar to these photos is what I would be shooting for...

photo.jpgphoto (2).jpg

k294

Glad I found this thread, as I have a nice original m101 that is showing its age cosmetically (not that I expect any beauty pageants.) I want to stop the light rust and baseline the whole thing with POR 15 and Monstaliner along these same lines as discussed here. I would like to keep the original wheels; need replacement tires though. And those lights are sweet: any leads on those in the US would be great.

Also looking for new fenders as the originals are pretty bent and mangled and seems probably just as good a time to replace them if I can find em NOS.

The General

Glad I found this thread, as I have a nice original m101 that is showing its age cosmetically (not that I expect any beauty pageants.) I want to stop the light rust and baseline the whole thing with POR 15 and Monstaliner along these same lines as discussed here. I would like to keep the original wheels; need replacement tires though. And those lights are sweet: any leads on those in the US would be great.

Also looking for new fenders as the originals are pretty bent and mangled and seems probably just as good a time to replace them if I can find em NOS.

Hey man, the lights you can order from here:

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wc...10001&storeId=10001&productId=24204&langId=-1

VanIsle_Greg

Good call on the Camo paint. There is a manual on how to properly paint the M416 to it's original camo config...might be one for the M101 CDN2 as well? I think there were some camo and some std OD Green?

I managed to find a set of the same Grote lights on EBay from the US. A guy was selling slightly marked NOS units for $25.00 a set... but that was 2 years ago, and that was an amazing deal. Mine were scratched and one had a chip in it, but all in all...they are amazing! They are great lights, it just took me a bit to sort out the wiring. I snipped mine off, as I was not using the old 24V harness any longer (though I still have it all in a box). You will be very happy with those shiny new lights!

The General

Well I did some work and managed to put the trailer to work for the summer. Here's a couple updated pics...

jy6a8adu.jpg

emevemav.jpg

egymesum.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94