Performance???

Mudrunner

Adventurer
What kind of performance mods have any of you made? You know like air intake changes, chip mods, anything like that. I just am curious since it is more of a tuner thing if any of you guys/gals have done these things.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
What kind of performance mods have any of you made? You know like air intake changes, chip mods, anything like that. I just am curious since it is more of a tuner thing if any of you guys/gals have done these things.
Which model montero and engine are you talking about?

As far as air intake mods, unless you're talking forced induction (turbo, supercharger) the changes are nominal and in some cases you will see a decrease in performance. Chip mods are available but not simple to do since most I've seen appear to be complete ECU upgrades versus just a chip.

Engine swaps abound.
2.6L > 4.3L chevy, 2.6L > 2.6L turbo, etc.

Forced induction upgrades abound.
Turbo's, Superchargers, etc.

K&N & other reusable oiled filter kits? Don't waste your money unless you are doing it on a street only machine and want to benefit from buying cleaner kits versus new paper filters.

Again though, until we know which mitsu 4x4 model and engine you have, can't really provide more specific ideas.

Also, you should just create a signature and publish it with your posts like I did below so we don't keep asking you which rig you're talking about.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I dont have any performance related mods on my truck. For me its not really a priority. Im more concern about reliability and good fuel economy.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Sorry I typically just troll Forums without signing up because I am looking for information, but I need more detailed information since I plan to purchase a 97-00 Mitsubishi Montero in the next year. This forum has really inspired me to really get dead set on a Montero, I will need something like this when I move back to Oregon and spend more time out in the woods.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
That's cool. For the gen 2.5 Montero's most haven't done much in the way of engine mods. The 200hp @ 225ft-lbs of torque seems sufficient with a stock or near stock setup.

The engine is a close cousin of the twin turbo engines found in the Mitsu GT3000's so if you want more power, I'm sure you can probably transplant a GT3000 TT engine into it with sufficient effort/skills.

Alternatively RPW in Australia sells a stage 1 (AU$9500.00) or stage 2 (AU $11,50.00) upgrade for it (http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.ph...id=96:workshop-performance-packages&Itemid=99). Stage 2 gives you +75HP at the wheels but it's far from inexpensive. Your cost for the kits will be a little less than what's published because you won't pay GST (tax) but the aussie dollar is pretty strong right now and you'll also need to pay shipping and likely an import tax on it. They may have a US distributor to avoid the import headaches.

Of course there's enough room for a Chevy 4.3L v6 as well. You can get them out of late model blazers. Only write-ups I've seen (4x4wire.com) have been on gen I Montero's but it's similar enough to the gen II that it will be a decent rough guide.

But again, I think most haven't done much with the gen II's because they already make sufficient HP for most needs.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
I was just curious since it has been a while since I owned my V6 4Runner that I bored .050 over and got a bunch of HP and better MPGs if there were simple things some have done that boosted a little HP. I really don't want to swap or turbo anything. If I did I would get a old GM or Ford to do that too, but I find those over-rated and pretty much just too much for my family.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I was just curious... if there were simple things some have done that boosted a little HP.

Here's a build done by Frank R on 4x4wire (http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=888365&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=2&fpart=1). He installed a supercharger as part of the process, he rebuilt the stock engine upgrading parts as required for better power and reliability. Yeah the supercharger isn't what you're after but IIRC a lot of the things he did to the engine may help with what you're looking to do once you buy a Montero.

Of course you may find this planning may be nothing more than an exercise since it may have sufficient power for your wheeling/driving needs.

Also as a tuner, you probably know that in addition to more power you also need to look at upgrading the braking and suspension to do it right.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Oh lol no I am not a tuner by a long shot, I will always be Truck/SUV driver. I just know that outside of tuners the only people who do any Chip or PCM mods are diesel guys, for the most part.

Yeah it is just planning and seeing what all is out there, with much more time on my hands then normal before my intended purchase I have time to think and dream. I will be setting this up for a more on road vehicle since I am currently a stay at home dad.
But I still want to make this an Overlander so my family can go out camping and find the hidden corners of the NW and maybe even farther north!

So yeah I just love the look of the GEN 2 Montero's and am really excited about getting one in the future. I plan on upgrading the brakes unless they come oversized like the old 4Runner I had. Plus I am not looking for great speed just something that gives it a little more get up and go in the city. Also not having drove one I do not know these things and I probably will find the acceleration more than acceptable.

KarmannMarco

Adventurer
I bought my 97 LS two months ago. Looking at the numbers I though the 200HP 3.5L would feel just as good if not better then my old 3.2L Isuzu Rodeo (2WD) but it actually feels a bit less responsive and lacking power in around town driving. I can only guess the Montero weights a considerable amount more then the Rodeo. I've yet to hit any trails with it though.
Overall I am extremely pleased with this truck. After driving many Isuzus , 4Runners and other trucks this one is by far the best one. Only truck I like just as much is the LR Disco but this being my daily driver I just couldnt pull the trigger on it's reliability. Im sure you will love you future Montero.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Looking at the numbers I though the 200HP 3.5L would feel just as good if not better then my old 3.2L Isuzu Rodeo (2WD)

What's the weight of your Rodeo? What year was it?
FWIW, the rodeo is more like a Montero Sport than the Montero. This could be significant since a Montero Sport curb weight ranges but numbers I've found are 3435-3950lbs while a 97 Montero's curb weight is 4440lbs.

Last edited:

KarmannMarco

Adventurer

What's the weight of your Rodeo? What year was it?
FWIW, the rodeo is more like a Montero Sport than the Montero. This could be significant since a Montero Sport curb weight ranges but numbers I've found are 3435-3950lbs while a 97 Montero's curb weight is 4440lbs.

The Rodeo was a 95 2WD with the 3.2L SOHC motor. 174 HP / 200 TQ roughly 3700 lbs ( 21.2 lb/hp)
Montero 200 HP / 4440 ( 22.2 lb/hp ) for a very similar power to weight ratio.
Overall I think it's sufficient considering these trucks are not meant to be fast but it would definitely be nice to have 250-275 HP :costumed-smiley-007

94monster

Observer
All up with a nearly full tank my gen 2 sr weighs over 5000 lbs.... Power is fine though if you really put the spurs to it. You wont win many drag races but you can accelerate to freeway speed, climb hills and pass fine. Look for a 97-98 with the sohc as maintenance is easier than the DOHC in most respects... I like my DOHC 3.5 but the timing belt was a bear...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne