Moglanders Travels - So this is South America?

mervifwdc

Adventurer
I am guessing there are not too many World Cup fans on here, but we've ended up in Brazil as part of our travels and we're now surrounded by people from all over the world who have arrived to Brazil to watch the World Cup. We have no tickets and no plans to go to a match, but the atmosphere is great craic.

We got here by driving through Venezuela, but once go enter Brazil, you pretty quickly hit a major obstacle to overland travel - the Amazon river. It's bigger than just about anything you can imagine. We sailed for over 1000 miles on it, and it was usually between 1/2 mile wide and up to 2 or 3 miles wide. It can handle pretty large ships.

MERV3680.jpg

Paddling across this huge river you can see families in their home made dugout canoes.
3W0K7634.jpg

and just about everything else in between.

We were on board for 5 days, and set up our dinner table at the very front of the barge. We had one heck of a view and it kept changing while we were eating, probably one of the most surreal places I have eaten a meal.
MERV3783.jpg

The truck drivers that normally use these barges have seen it all before, and have a nice way to pass the time during the voyage.
MERV4080.jpg

This is the Unimog driving off the barge at the end of the Voyage in Belem.
MERV4552.jpg

As usual, the whole story and more photos are on our Blog in the post about the Amazon cruise by Unimog

Oh, And the truck is sold! More on that later....

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Oh, And the truck is sold! More on that later....

Congrats, but I confess that I was hoping that you might make it to the States.

Thanks for the images of Venezuela; bring back memories!

Love the images of the Amazon cruise! I'm jealous!

Safe travels.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Sold? Bummer! Doe that mean the end of the blogging. I need someone to live through vicariously......

Did it go to another Paddy?

Last edited:

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Hi,

Yes, we had a tough debate in Colombia would we go North, or continue through South America. Venezuela has a certain enigma, a "bad boy" type of reputation that made us think we had not really seen it all till we had visited it. We did miss the Guyana's, and Paraguay, but we do feel we got a good overall look about during our 2 years here.

Y'Never know, we may be on the road again some day. You might see us yet!

Merv.
Congrats, but I confess that I was hoping that you might make it to the States.

Thanks for the images of Venezuela; bring back memories!

Love the images of the Amazon cruise! I'm jealous!

Safe travels.

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Sold? Bummer! Doe that mean the end of the blogging. I need someone to live through vicariously......

Did it go to another Paddy?

Hi,

We've another couple of posts yet to write, we are usually a little behind in them, recently anyway... So, 2 more to go. :)

It's gone to an American chap who wants to drive it home to the USA. Eventually :)

mervifwdc

Adventurer
And how easy is it done? :)

It's not too hard to get to the very front. None of the truck drivers care very much, and most of the trucks on the barge are just the trailers that are shunted on and off. When you arrive at the port, start asking. Everyone. We asked 2 or 3 people who all said yes, but eventually we met the captain who had not heard of our request and we walked with him to the guys doing the loading. Sorted. No bribed or any funny business. Just kept at it. There are shift changes and all sorts of stuff as it's maybe 6 to 12 hours there before the barge sails from when you should arrive, you need to keep an eye on whats going on all the time.

rabble

Observer
Hey folks,

I've started a new trip in progress thread about the moglander truck. I bought it the beginning of June, but didn't make it very far because we had hub problems. It's currently parked at the same campground where Merv and Sarah had it parked when they sold it to me. I've got a new hub and will be flying back to Brazil with the parts in August to continue the journey.

I've got a new thread since the travelers and owners of the truck have changed, even if the truck is the same old thing. I decided to just do a slight renaming, calling it ElMoglander. ;-)

Here's the thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...on-via-the-Panamericana?p=1633961#post1633961

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne