Thread: A2A Expedition - From Africa to Argentina to Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Sidebar View Post
    ... I think we might have chatted before, but did you spend a lot of time in SA?
    About ten years on the continent, over a span of thirty years. Three years in Botswana with the odd tourist visit to South Africa. We have a chimp we rescued at Chimp Eden that we want to visit, so a trip to South Africa is in our plans. Being tropic rats ourselves and always starting our trips from warm climates, we have been caught by the cold twice - Algeria in November and anywhere in the sierra of Peru or Bolivia. It is nowhere as cold as winter in the U.S.. but the combination of inadequate clothing, living beside (as opposed to inside) your vehicle, and the gnawing effect of altitude, can get to you. Changing a 10x15 tire at over 12,000 feet is breathtaking. Literally. Pack some gloves and long undies, proper coats, hats, and sleeping bags, and you may never notice it.

And besides, Machu Picchu is actually much, much lower than the surrounding country - you can breathe!
    --
    DiploStrat

Certified Expo Poseur - Lives on Paved Road

Quote Originally Posted by jessejman View Post
    if/when the car breaks down we can always explore on foot...
    Pay attention here, Sidebar. Wise words, and should be point 11 for Land Rover owners..... ;-) :-D

Good to read on your FB page that all crew members are getting ready for the big adventure. Big hugs to junior and senior members, and we are looking forward to following your journey through the Americas!!

"Victory awaits him who has everything in order luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck." -Roald Amundsen, Norwegian polar explorer (1911, after reaching the South Pole)

Espen & Malin
    ---------
    unURBAN Project on http://www.unurban.no
    ...and more pics on http://www.flickr.com/malinandespen

[QUOTE=unURBAN;1185248]Pay attention here, Sidebar. Wise words, and should be point 11 for Land Rover owners..... ;-) :-D

Thanks Espen & Malin. I believe Jessejman was travelling in an uncooperative Toyota!!

Thank you guys so much for the wise words. It has taken way longer than planned for us to leave but they say everything happens for a reason.

Great love and respect to you both, we look forward to Grylspud with you some time in the future.

Cheers.

The Bells.

Default A picture is worth a thousand words!!

Mafuta2 (800x450).jpg

Loaded in Port Elizabeth - South Africa and on the way to Montevideo Wednesday.

In...

Can't wait for more.

I had my first run in with the South American Policia today! It had to happen eventually, you can't stumble through life being as silly as I am without attracting any attention. The family and I had gone for a long walk along the Montevideon waterfront until we eventually stopped parallel to the American embassy. The red, white and blue was looking grand billowing in the breeze so I decided to take out my little Canon and take a photo. I had timed the shot perfectly and captured the flag unfurled with a block of apartments, the blue sky and a corner of the embassy in the background. I had an intuition that photographing the embassy might not be permissable, but dismissed the thought as unlikely. The building is massive and could be photographed from across the Rio Negro. A minute later a Uruguayan police officer came marching over to me. She looked serious. She spoke Spanish and I replied in English that I had only photographed the flag. She wanted to see the photo. I showed her the photo then scrolled through to prove that there was only one of the flag and the rest were my holiday snapshots. She told me to delete the photo. I was tempted to argue but being silly does not make me dumb. I erased the photo then asked if I could take one of her, maybe being silly does make me dumb.

We are meeting with the shipping agent tomorrow to discuss the paperwork needed for the release of the Landy from her container home. I am really hoping that we will be able to drive her out of the port on Wednesday, hanging out in hostels is expensive and not as much fun as when I was 23 and single. More pics to follow soon.

Sorry, but we do get just a bit twitchy about folks photographing chanceries. Enjoy Uruguay and the rest of your trip.
    --
    DiploStrat

Certified Expo Poseur - Lives on Paved Road

Quote Originally Posted by DiploStrat View Post
    Sorry, but we do get just a bit twitchy about folks photographing chanceries. Enjoy Uruguay and the rest of your trip.
    I understand, it is an unfortunate reality. I guess that is why I only took a photo of the flag. We are enjoying Montevideo but have just heard that the Landy will probably be delayed until Monday so we wont be having the camping weekend we were hoping for. But, everything happens for a reason so we will just have to have a rum weekend

Felicidades! You have your truck and you're on the move. Happy travels and we'll be watching eagerly. -jesse

By the way, my Landy is much more uncooperative than my cruiser (though it is thirty years older!).

A great adventure and the one size of Landy I truly envy ? Subscribed...and good luck in your travels.
    Richard "Send lawyers, guns, and money..."
    1996 1500 4x4 5.9l, 4.10s pushing 285/75R16, 2" lift with Bilstein 5100s, Snugtop cap, ARB front bumper w/ Warn 15k winch, IPF fogs & LightForce Strikers...oh hell, it's just a truck!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast