Is anyone on this forum doing some serious travel in a regular Class C motorhome?

magentawave

Adventurer
Is anyone on this forum doing some serious traveling in a regular Class C motorhome? Maybe even one of those Toyota Class C motorhomes?

Also, I have some questions about carrying some surfboards, SUP (standup paddle board) and a mountain bike on a rig and was wondering what category would be the most appropriate to ask my questions?

Thanks

Steve

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
There certainly are people on this forum doing serious travel in their Tiger motorhomes, both the Class B and Class C models. One Portal member, Suntinez, has put about about a gazillion miles on her Tigers traveling around--including significant unpaved road travel--and her trip reports, with their excellent photography, are among the best on ExPo.

An recent example of travel in her Tiger GT (she also has a CX):

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77188.

And there are many others in a variety of vehicles. I would, however, offer my experience that having a decent power-to-weight ratio make travel more pleasant, and you might well find the Sunrader and the other Toyota Class Cs are close to the lower limit.

magentawave

Adventurer
Those Tigers are amazing but way out of my price range. Have you seen anyone on this forum thats doing full time traveling in a Toyota motorhome?

bob91yj

Resident **************
I had a 1976 Class C on a Ford chassis. I took it down a few dirt roads, usually towing something, either a Jeep or a Jeep on a trailer. Dirt road travel is SLOW, and I cringed every time I went through any kind of rut that would cause the chassis to flex. Chassis flex caused the whole box of the camper to flex...mine never gave me any problems from it (before it caught on fire, leaking fuel line on the intake manifold) but it was still nerve racking. I was the third owner and had full service records.

Not sure what your price point is but there are plenty of low mileage clean units out there. if you go that direction, do some research and shopping. I've got an '06 GMC chassis Class C in my shop right now, 8000 miles on it. Rodents at his storage lot had there way with his wiring harness...something else to check for when inspecting a potential purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles