Hindsight = 20/20...what did you wish you had left behind? What did you need?

haven

Expedition Leader
One seemingly unnecessary item I always take is a full set of medium weight long underwear, including balaclava. They weigh next to nothing and pack small. Even in tropical areas you can be surprised by a cold snap.

One example: In July 2007, I was on a trip in southern and central Brasil, not the sort of place you'd expect to need long underwear. Most of the clothes in my bag were lightweight synthetics, easy to wash and dry. I had a broad-brimmed sun hat, one windbreaker and one light jacket.

An unusual cold front came up from Antarctica, bringing snow as far north as Buenos Aires. Where I was visiting, the temperature in the mornings was 45F. My long underwear really saved me, and allowed me to continue my planned activities. A couple of days later, temperatures returned to normal.

Don't leave home without them!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
One seemingly unnecessary item I always take is a full set of medium weight long underwear, including balaclava. They weigh next to nothing and pack small. Even in tropical areas you can be surprised by a cold snap.

One example: In July 2007, I was on a trip in southern and central Brasil, not the sort of place you'd expect to need long underwear. Most of the clothes in my bag were lightweight synthetics, easy to wash and dry. I had a broad-brimmed sun hat, one windbreaker and one light jacket.

An unusual cold front came up from Antarctica, bringing snow as far north as Buenos Aires. Where I was visiting, the temperature in the mornings was 45F. My long underwear really saved me, and allowed me to continue my planned activities. A couple of days later, temperatures returned to normal.

Don't leave home without them!

I'm with you on the cold weather gear.

I have a down coat + gore tex shell that I keep in a compression sack along with gloves and a knit hat. It is smaller than a football, but if it is cold and wet it is what I need. Because it is such a small solid lump it is easy to cram in an out-of-the-way corner.

I was really glad I had it with me for Expo this year. :)

You know how you have gear that you try to kill but just can't? I've had this REI jacket for 20 years now and even after rolling around in grease and dirt (repairing my truck) the damn thing still comes clean.

fog cutter

Adventurer
IMG_8204.jpg

looks like great fun!

photogdave

Adventurer
Awesome thread!
Two questions:

Why is this thread in the Roof Top Tents and Awnings forum? I almost missed it completely.

Would a Porta Potti be deemed necessary, a luxury, or wasteful on such a trip? I don't want to debate the merits of Porta Pottis in general, we make use of ours maybe twice a year when we truly camp in the bush, but it's necessary when it's necessary!

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior