NPS Camper Build

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
I added some angle to strengthen the front bar between the hinge points and a "T" section is bolted through this to provide a platform for the tyre to sit on. Ratchet straps secure the tyre to the bar. Its a little annoying having to loosen the straps to tilt the cab, but moving the spare has improved the rear clearance / departure angle significantly.

We did have some issues with overheating in central QLD (40-45c) due to the reduced airflow, on closer inspection there was a heap of leaves/dirt/crap between the AC condenser and radiator. After clearing this out the temperature hasn't been an issue.

LukeH

Adventurer
The interior layout works well for two, although Leisha disagreed and this year we have parted ways. (just kidding about the layout, but we have separated)

Good to see you have your priorities in the right place mate!
Keep on trucking, it costs less than stopping on the request of the other half (I know)

Cascadian

Observer
Shannon, Thanks again for sharing some of your findings, insights and adventures here. What did you end up using for BMS? Did you do Victron as well on that or use something different?

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
Shannon, Thanks again for sharing some of your findings, insights and adventures here. What did you end up using for BMS? Did you do Victron as well on that or use something different?

I'm using the Victron BMV-702 and its midpoint monitoring as a "BMS" , this allows for low voltage, high voltage, and balance alarms / relay triggers. Periodically I charge higher than normal and plug in a Celllog8 to ensure the cells are really still balanced. Any required balancing is performed using our 30m extension lead as a large resistor.

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
5 year update!
I had doubts that a camper stuck together with sticky tape and glue would last this long, but it has!

I've had to replace the drawer slides that hold the pantry twice due to the "locking" clips shearing off. I've added a strap that now securely locks the pantry in place when travelling off-road.
The alucubond cupboard doors either side of the bed/lounge that are used as bedside tables got some decent scratches on them. I've since covered them with Vinyl which protects them well. The vertical alucubond doors are still great, its just the heavy use "table" doors that got scratched.
My awesome Microwave/oven/breadmaker unfortunately died earlier this year. I've replaced it with a LG inverter Microwave/Oven/Air fryer/Steamer/Dehydrator thing thats working well so far. Home made jerky is awesome.
I think I'll donate the washing machine as after 5 years full time its been used... once. That'll give me a nice big storage area behind the toilet to fill with other useless crap.
Really happy I put in a seperate internal water tank and pump, its been invaluable the last few months around Tasmania. Last night it got to -14.2c, the coldest ever recorded temp here and the outside pipes/tanks were frozen solid. It was still -6c @ 9am and the outside tanks are still frozen as I write this at 2pm. Having the grey water sump inside means the shower/sink have no problem draining even when its freezing outside.
I cant say enough good things about the Lithium batteries and 1600W of solar, I did a capacity test a few months ago and got 98% of the original capacity. Being able to have AC , induction cooking, microwave, etc anywhere in Australia powered by the sun is fantastic. The rapid power 130A @ 28v alternator usually only gets switched on after a few overcast days during Tasmanian winters (2.6 PSH average)

Woke up this morning, turned on the AC and got nothing. Went out side to investigate...
1596771831880.jpeg

The AC unit is rated to -15c , but Im guessing thats only if its not frozen solid with snow ;)

I swapped my electric mountain bike for an electric scooter which has been great. Its a Mercane widewheel dual motor, does 30-40kph even with my fat ass on it and ~30km range going flat out. Also possible for a passenger to fit, although this massively reduces range . Scooter folds down for easy storage under the bed, in the cab, or even in the bathroom/entryway.

1596769681165.png

All told I'm still really happy with the camper, only thing I'd do differently now would be a lifting shoebox style roof so that I could easily fit it into a container for overseas travels... instead I've decided version 2 will be a "floating camper" to address this concern :)

steve66

Observer
Hey shan, thanks for the update and glad your still living the dream, we start fulltiming at the end of this year. Heading to WA for family duties but plenty to see there until covid is over.

We have been rationing the use of our microwave/breadmaker knowing they are no longer made but your new LG sounds great.

Agreed, having an all elect self sufficient camper is just the best, our friends still marvel at what's possible.

Your more brave than us doing tassie at this time of the year?

Stay safe, cheers

steve66

Observer
Only one, the small Phoenix inverter that powers the fridge died, kept going straight to overload, was only weeks from end of 5yr warranty, was replaced no problem, they even upgraded to V.E direct model at no cost, great service.

On reflection I may have caused the failure as the DC positive wire was loose at the inline fuse which would have created a DC ripple.

the rest is great, the fans in the multi's were real noisy at first but a firmware upgrade helped alot,

Cheers

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
Have you had any issues with the Victron gear?
We had a voltage battery reading issue (the Multiplus inverter/chargers were reading 200mv low) when we first got them and Victron sent out 2 new inverters without even requiring the old ones back.
I've also had fantastic software support from the guys there with regard to integrating their systems with my camper automation system. I can't praise Victron gear enough.
It's not the cheapest but the 5yr warranty gives peace of mind. Mine are now out of warranty but I know Victron will have a supply of any spare parts required in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles