Tiny stoves

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I need a tiny stove for a back packing and motorcycle touring. I like the sealed butane can operated ones but I'm not sure how these operate or what style to get. Jet boil was recomended but they look big. MSR makes some small ones but I don't know. Any advise appreciated.

spunky2268

Adventurer
Stumpalump,

I've got the first generation Jetboil and a MSR Pocket Rocket, among some other stoves. The Jetboil may look big, but it's all self-contained. The cook pot/cup is only slightly taller than my Snow Peak 700 cup. Jetboil is great on fuel, comparitively, if all you are doing is boiling water. In fact, that's primarily what I use my JB for. I've found if I cook anything other than ramen in it, food will stick to the inside, and the cup is so deep it's tough to clean stuck on food out. I can also crack the top on a can of Chunky Soup and put it in the JB cup with a little less water and heat the soup in 10 minutes and eat right out of the can.

Either stove will simmer, but I use my Pocket Rocket for actual cooking and pan-frying. It offers more options as far as pots, pans, or even the Outback Oven. A lot depends on where you are going, for how long, and how much you are willing to carry. A Pepsi can stove or an Esbit may be your best choice for the backpack and Mountain House. International or long-distance travel may require that you get a multifuel stove; you can use fuel from your bike's tank, as well. Be careful, for as I have found, stoves can be part of the gear obsession we all have here at Expo.

Feel free to ask specific questions and I'll help however I can.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Hmm I never thought about using Multi fuel because of the hassle. I could carry some white gas and dump that in the bike in a pinch. Back to the Internet. I really only want to buy one stove. Are the white gas stoves much hassle?

Expedition Leader
I could carry some white gas and dump that in the bike in a pinch. Back to the Internet. I really only want to buy one stove. Are the white gas stoves much hassle?

I don't think so. I've tried other backpacking stoves but I keep going back to the first one I ever bought - a 40-year-old Svea 123 that runs on white gas. Lights/starts easy at any elevation or temperature, burns hot but has adjustable temperature, stingy with fuel, and like you said you can always dump your stove fuel in your gas tank if you run out of gas (done that once or twice myself).

Salue

Adventurer
If you're looking for a tiny stove, the Micro Rocket (http://www.rei.com/product/830340/msr-microrocket-stove is pretty small; it's the newer version of the Pocket Rocket. But, I've been thinking about getting the new MSR Whisperlite Universal (http://www.rei.com/product/830342/msr-whisperlite-universal-backpacking-stove. You can use either liquid gas or canister fuel, the best of both worlds! Reviews are good for it so far too.
For way more than you ever want to know about camping stoves,this guy's blog has some great information:
http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/

Good luck with your search!

Salue

Long time backpacker here - I have tried many different stoves. My Jet Boil is far and away my favorite, compact considering the pot or cup is self contained, everything packs inside of it including a fuel canister. It always works, heats quickly and does not seem to use much fuel. Drawback are few, at least in my opinion; fuel is not as readily available as some of the multi fuel stove, you cant really cook on the smaller version, more for boiling water. The version with the larger pot would be more appropriate for actual cooking, though I have not used one.

robert

Expedition Leader
I used a Coleman Peak 1 for many years but recently picked up a Jetboil on clearance and I have to say I've been very impressed with it. While it is larger than say the Microrocket, everything packs up neatly and it's worked so well in a variety of conditions I can't complain.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Get a Jet boil Zip and never look back. fully self contained(fuel,burner and food holder) Ive tried a few stoves and this is by far my favorite. It cooks super fast and conserves fuel well. Dont mess with the fancier models as a lighter is always more handy then a cheap sparker that just add weight and everyone says will break.

I really cant suggest jet boil enough. white gas is a pain in the butt lol

postalWagon

Adventurer
First, what do you intend on cooking?
Second, how much weight are you willing to carry.

Soto Outdoors make a nice lite single burner, killed my MSR pocket rocket. My Vargo outdoors
Decagon stove is as stone simple as they get.
Also, most canister stoves don't like being cold, you can sleep with the can at night if you want to use it in the morning. I don't like sleeping with a canister of fuel. Soto Outdoors stove has a regulator that doesn't care if the can is warm or cold.

Last edited:

thedjjack

Dream it build it
I don't think so. I've tried other backpacking stoves but I keep going back to the first one I ever bought - a 40-year-old Svea 123 that runs on white gas. Lights/starts easy at any elevation or temperature, burns hot but has adjustable temperature, stingy with fuel, and like you said you can always dump your stove fuel in your gas tank if you run out of gas (done that once or twice myself).

X2 best stove ever made...

ColoDisco

Explorer
In a attempt to lighten my rig as much as possible I bought a snowpeak Litemax(Ti) and a MSR Universal canister holder, which when collapsed pretty much fits in the snowpeak stove pouch. Together they are extremely light and small.

I too have been using a Peak 1 for ...... yikes! 29 years...... I just purchased the last 4 generators for it I could find..... it still works great!

I just bought a wood gas stove for my 12 year old son.... it saved us a couple times when we couldn't get any liquid fuel..... I am so impressed with it!... bulky for sure but you can't beat the emergency preparedness aspect!

3 or 4 handfuls of twigs cooked pasta for 4!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior