iPad or Android?

I'm new here. I have been reading through all of the ipad and android threads I can find, trying to decide which pad best suits my needs. Can anybody make some recommendations based on the following intended usage;

Price sensitive, I would probably buy an ipad,, without question if money was not an issue. But, if the ipad is what I need I will still go with it.

Primary use will be random internet use while at home. Running of my home wifi network. I do not have 3 or 4g service at my house.

Second reason for purchase will be for use as a back country and highway gps. Mounted in my truck.

I'm sure I will install a few misc apps too.

Any thoughts?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
IMHO, the biggest advantage of the iPad is the number of aftermarket accessories available as well as number of off road navigation apps that are worthwhile using.

As far as everything else, either platform has no real major advantage unless there's just that one thing you really need...

Silver dude

Xplorer
Personally I like the android tabs.

Available smaller so they fit better on the dash.

Cheaper entry model units.

I'm much more familiar with the android system and google play apps set.

I enjoy being a rebel and having something different among the crowd then a typical apple device.

Debating these two is like asking a man what his favorite beverage is. Or the typical Jeep or Toyota debate. No answer is right. Just whats right for you? If the shoe fits use it.

Bergum

Adventurer
Ipad: easy, sturdy, good. If if f'up your screwed

Android: versatile, compatible, can be fixed.

Conclusion: if you are asking this question, go for Ipad.
If you like to play with computers, go Android.

But...
If you have specific software you want to run. Go for that system and screw all above... :)

B4x4.no

LR Max

Local Oaf
I would check out the Nexus 7 Android Tablet. Small and you can mount it just about anywhere. Ok it doesn't have ports all over the place but to be honest, you ain't gonna use those often. I've got a Toshiba Thrive 10". It has SD card Slot, USB, and HDMI ports...I BARELY use any of those.

Whatever you do buy, get 32 GB internal memory. I bought 16 GB and it doesn't feel like enough.

Lastly, I recommend that in the beginning, you download all kinds of crap and then see what you like. Then wipe the tablet and reload just what you want!

haven

Expedition Leader
Note that the iPads with WiFi only don't have a GPS chip. You'll need an external GPS receiver and connect to the iPad using Bluetooth. Here's one example
http://xgps150.dualav.com/

The iPad with 3G/4G cellular service have GPS built in.

One complaint people make about GPS built into the iPad is the accuracy is usually to within 30 ft. This may be a problem if you need the GPS to tell you which side of the river you're on. Accuracy to a few inches is available in external GPS models. I find this degree of accuracy is of interest primarily to people involved in geocaching.

kbeefy

Adventurer
My cousin learned the hard way about the ipad GPS (or lack thereof), quite a downer. We jailbroke it the first day and he tether's his phones gps.

I recently picked up a Nexus 7 for onboard navi, my phone was just to small. All Nexus's have built in GPS. I'm an android fan so it was a no brainer. $250 and a nice list of features (GPS, fast multi-core processor, nice screen and imho a more useable size than an ipad) N7 is a good deal. It only has 16gb, but you can hook up an external drive or usb drive for more space if need it. For the price you can afford to loose/destroy it and replace it for cheaper than just one gps equipped ipad.

If you want the SD and HDMI options there a few new tablets out with these options for a little more $$.

Seeker

Adventurer
You're going to have more variety in type of device if you go Android, you'll have a bit of a bigger garden of supported apps to choose from if you go Apple; Android will also let you flash (with easy-enough Root access gained) different ROMs (operating systems) onto the devices if the one that came with yours no longer makes you happy, lacks some capability or another, or is no longer supported by the current Android rev via the manufacturers updates (see CyanogenMod). Additionally, many Android tabs have mechanisms by which you can expand storage, the iPad is a locked box.

Also, beware - no one I know who has tried IOS 6 likes it. From the replacement Maps app, to the continued lack of "intents" and the refusal by Apple to allow for replacement of the default applications, even the Apple fanboy's on my IT team are unimpressed or downright hostile about it - and there's no going back to IOS 5.

As for a specific device recommendation, you might try the Android XDA forums if you're headed the Android route.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
My cousin learned the hard way about the ipad GPS (or lack thereof)...

Did your cousin not read the product literature before buying? It just means you should read the product details before buying but heck doesn't that go for anything you buy?

Any word on more decent topo apps for the android platform? Last I read there was really only one good one.

Last edited:

Seeker

Adventurer
I currently have both of my Lowrance Baja units up for sale. Will most likely replace with a Transformer or Nexus, depending on storage capabilities, daylight viewability, and a few other parameters. My understanding is that Google Maps cached mode may actually work for this purpose. I like the idea of caching instead of buying my maps since their topo and photo data is updated and they're adding new features constantly. Anyone else tried this and found it to be workable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne