Replace stock shocks

garybo

Adventurer
I have an '03 Fuso FG camper. Front axle weight 5300 lbs, rear 8540 lbs. New tires. New Fuso 649 springs and standard Fuso shocks. Doug Hackney told me to get anything other than Fuso shocks and to get custom springs. We didn't have time to do this. The springs are probably working OK but I think the shocks aren't. Someone suggested contacting Ron Frank at Kearney Truck Center for specs to replace the Fuso shocks with Bilsteins. Ron no longer works there. There were other posts about Doug's shocks but some confusion because he might have some custom work done to the rear mounts making the measurements not transferrable to my stock mounts. My best guess is for the Bilstein 5100 series fronts # F4-BE5-6243-H5 and the questionable rears #F4-BE5-6244-H5.
Has anyone else used Bilsteins on standard mounts? If so, would they comment as to the model numbers? Bilstein says the Fuso is not on their "list".
We only have internet when we can find wifi in Alaska. thanks, Gary

FG Surfari

Adventurer
Hi Gary
I have been running the Bilsteins that Doug Hackney had suggested for the best part of a year now with no complaints.
If your not boggin' the thing down, they seem to do the trick, irregardless of what I have read to the contrary.
But again, that's me

1Engine

Observer
On my NPS 300 I run the same shocks that run on a Kenworth Airbag suspension rear axle.
I went to my local truck supplier with shock in hand & asked for something that fits.
The benefit of the air bag compatible shock is that they work 30 to 50% harder that a shock on a standard suspension system.
They are fully adjustable.
I just did a quick run to Weipa on some not very suspension friendly road & they don't get very warm at all
They cost me A$250 /pair.

garybo

Adventurer
Found the Australian Power Down cool cells "designed for parabolic springs and air suspension apps". Thanks for the reference but I'm in the US with std springs and probably need an easily cross referenced shock here. Anyone have a Bilstein, Koni, Gabriel, Sears, etc on their Fuso??

garybo

Adventurer
for FG Surfari above:
Are you using the Bilstein part numbers I posted? or did Doug have other part numbers?

westyss

Explorer
I had my stock shocks replace on my '07 FG with BFG shocks, the original shocks dont do much and what is really needed for these trucks is a shock that dampens the recoil or bounce back (maybe wrong term there) after compression. The BFG's start off OK but then fade out with use so a shock that can take some punishment too!
Do those rancho's have that ability?

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I had my stock shocks replace on my '07 FG with BFG shocks, the original shocks dont do much and what is really needed for these trucks is a shock that dampens the recoil or bounce back (maybe wrong term there) after compression. The BFG's start off OK but then fade out with use so a shock that can take some punishment too! Do those rancho's have that ability?
They sure do. Dan.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Thanks Dan, how long have you had them on for and can you provide any more comments on them?
At this stage I've only done 7,500 Klm. but most of this is on dirt roads and tracks. They are 9 way adjustable, easy to change if you want so you can get it set to what you want ( also available is an in cab setup so you can do it on the move ). I ran the standard shocks when I first lifted it and when I changed to the Ranchos the improvement in ride was unreal . No bumping around like there was no control in the suspension. Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94