custom trailers in bear country?

anthony1

I wonder how custom built trailers including mine will fair when it comes to bear proof..... I mean, with the fold up kitchen and all.

So far, mine don't have any type of cooking equipment so When I was in Sequoia, I put everything in the bear proof container.
What are your experiences with these trailer in the woods with hungry bears?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
You need this one with a full safety cage.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJ,!oQE-ys9p4Y1BPyibzZHWQ~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!oQE-ys9p4Y1BPyibzZHWQ~~60_3.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 16
  • $(KGrHqN,!q0E-ZRGuSSfBPyidTld0w~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!q0E-ZRGuSSfBPyidTld0w~~60_3.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 25

TheThom

Adventurer
I'm building a trailer and that's a major consideration. That's the reason that I've decided not to do a slide out kitchen. I don't plan to do any cooking in or directly adjacent to my camper.

Side note: what are the odds that you get consecutive posts from Thom's with "H"s (AKA the way it's supposed to be spelled)

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
I love that caged trailer but as cool as it is it must weight so darn much. I know my truck could never pull it

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We have a teardrop with the galley in the back and haven't had any problems with bears yet ---- just black bears around here.
We try to keep a clean camp and also have our pit-mix with us. She's chased off a few bears, here and there ---- the bears are hunted around here and avoid dogs...

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Seriously doubt you will find or build a bear proof trailer. I have seen doors ripped off cars, trunks shredded by them. Clean camping area is the only thing that keeps you safe in that regard.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com

Home of the strongest, most trailworthy
Off Road Tear Drop made.

Trailpsycho

Observer
These people are part of the problem. Some rocks thrown at the bear and chasing him away with a large stick probably would have saved his life. Instead, by crowding around taking pictures and allowing the bear to feel "comfortable", they doomed him. Judging by the ear-tag, he was already noted as a "trouble bear" and he was most definitely put down after this. Its sad that people are so stupid as to leave food in their cars in wild places...especially with the windows down. There's been several back-country sites closed in the Smokies the last few years (when I have checked on planning trips) because people dont practice good campsite hygiene. It makes it hard to put some routes together and it makes it more dangerous for those who come behind.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
If the window had been down to start with the video would have been a lot shorter, would have saved the poor lil bear the trouble of breaking the glass. But you are right sticks, rocks and yelling go a long way to scare away a black bear....

Vince1

Adventurer
I have a modified m416 trailer with a custom steel lid. The lid is locked down with a padlock and, although I store food in a refer within it, I dont cook food in or near my trailer. Where I live and camp, bear attacks are common. I've had bears on three different occasions messing about the trailer at night. In each case, they failed to cause any damage and banging of pots and pans made them move on their way. I recently had a bear inside my house while I was out of town. He destroyed a casement window and ripped the doors off my fridge and feezer. Interestingly, he carefully opened a box of granola bars from the pantry and piled the wrappers neatly on the floor. Point is, bears are very smart. They won't bother your trailer much if you keep it clean and near you. If you abandon it for a hike or whatever, you'll need a heavy steel lid that lasts long enough for you to get back.

kpredator

Adventurer
bear proof campers

hello
keeping your trailer very clean after cooking"washing dishes,getting rid of garbage" keeping food in a container will go a long way in helping with bear problems.
get lazy like alot of people,leave food,coolers dishes out.you may find yourself visited by a bear at nite or written up by a ranger.
good luck
kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles