Water can storage on the roof-rack?

stioc

Expedition Leader
I recently bought a 5-gal plastic water can (MWC jerry can) but I'm wondering if exposure to the sunlight would be bad for the water?

scepter_can_FIG5.jpg

Also, I was thinking in the hot summer days wouldn't it be better to carry water in a 'water cooler' like this Coleman? The only issue is I'm trying to get big bulky stuff out of the inside of the truck yet also keep the weight up top low...I know you can't have a cake and eat it too :costumed-smiley-007

coleman-5galbeveragecooler.jpg

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
You don't have to worry about your water's quality when it's stored in a clean MFC/mil-spec Scepter-style can (maybe an LCI can from the looks of it?). As for temperature, the water will definitely get warmed by the sun no matter what you have it in, but surely less so if it's in an insulated cooler (especially when there's ice involved). I keep my Gott water cooler (for drinking water) and any other coolers in the shade whenever possible just to extend the cooling properties anyway. For dish/hand-washing water I just leave the container out wherever's convenient in camp, but we do make a point of having all our water potable/drinkable as a just-in-case measure and we use approved containers.

no-pistons

Adventurer
Those cheap coleman or igloo coolers are only good for a picknic. If you off-road, the shaking causes the water to leak out and dust and dirt to go in. The Aqua-Tainer is much better.

WS-B087.jpg

stioc

Expedition Leader
When we had a travel trailer we used the Reliance 7gal container but it's a bit too big and bulky for me with a small SUV. While the Reliance container is decent it doesn't even come close to the military issue poly can I got. You can drop it full of water and it won't break. I'm just trying to find the best way to carry it and also a gas can when I get one.

Anyone have any pics of how and where you're carrying these containers in an SUV?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Your military cans should be fine on the roof rack. Those cans do not leach like cheap plastic cans. The fuel can holder or something like it would work well for you.

http://www.bajarack.com/accesories-page

Thanks, I do see the mounts for these type of tanks by several companies.

Scepter = Leak

Can you ellaborate? Scepter makes many types of cans, while I don't know about the consumer grade cans the MWC/MFC style cans have a solid reputation.

Can you ellaborate? Scepter makes many types of cans, while I don't know about the consumer grade cans the MWC/MFC style cans have a solid reputation.

Yeah I was thinking that I prolly should have framed that a little better. In my experience I have rarely seen a Scepter Fuel or Water can that didn't leak when mounted any way but straight up. And even mounted straight up the splashing of the contents is usually even enough for the spouts to leak or at the very least cause moisture to seep from the caps. If you tighten the crap out of them you might get it to seal but then unless you have their special wrench it will be a bear to remove the cap. This was what I observed from using them in the Military so perhaps it was mostly due to worn cap seals. Still based on that experience I would never mount them anyway but straight up and never anywhere i didn't think spillage of the contents would be acceptable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles