Jevy's humble M-416 build thread

solless

I painted the outside of my tub with Monstaliner. I just did it about 2 months ago, so not a lot of real world use, but I don't feel it will be hard to clean.

b1bb4a4e.jpg

0fa25eb3.jpg

And where she started from

9f3a37e1.jpg

Maybe one day I'll start my own build thread.

TheThom

Adventurer
Nice! How was the monster liner to work with? I'm deciding between monster liner and grizzly grip for the outside of my project. I like the color and texture of the monsterliner samples much better than the Grizzly Grip I applied to the underside already. Did you spray it on or roll it on? Looks great

solless

The Monstaliner wasn't bad to work with. The texture all comes from the little rollers. It rolled on pretty nice, one gallon gave me enough to do 2 coats on the outside. Right now the inside and bottom of my tub are just POR-15, but next year I plan on using some sort of bed liner on the inside of the tub after I get my lid built. I might use something different that is a little more grippy, as the Monstaliner doesn't have too much texture at all. Overall I would recommend it so far, the real test will come when I have more use on it.

TRACTION

Adventurer
The bottom of the tub looked like it was undercoated. Was that difficult to remove? What technique did you use?

Jevy

Adventurer
The bottom of the tub looked like it was undercoated. Was that difficult to remove? What technique did you use?

Yes I got the undercoat off. I chipped it away with a pry bar in small sections. I tried both a steel wire wheel grinder and a grinding disc but neither did anything but make a huge mess. I spent several hours working on just chipping it away.

Today I took delivery of the top for the trailer and the steel I have ordered is scheduled to be here on Tuesday so I have lots of stuff to do. I also have the interior out of my Jeep waiting on the monstaliner to show up. Getting the Jeep back together is going to have priority over the trailer. I've been working on it ever since I got it and would like to at least spend a little time out in it. :)

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
The Monstaliner looks good on the outside of the tub. I did the inside of my tub as well as the front where it gets beat with rocks, great product. I wish I had done the entire exterior of my tub with the stuff, it is great, easy to work with and nice durable finish.

Nice trailer.

Jevy

Adventurer
what size tire did you end up with?
For now I'm still on the military tires/rims. I looked at buying two matching tires/wheels for the jeep and it was over $700. I'm just not to the point yet where I can do that. I intend to eventually go with a 35x12.50/15 BFG MT but that will likely be the very last thing I do.

Here is a pic of the trailer cover I have had fabricated.
7308023021cc563ad5be55ec2cf1c3f1.jpg

I currently have the jeep torn into a hundred pieces prepping the interior for monstaliner and some other stuff. The trailer is probably going to be sitting for a while until I get the Jeep back together. The steel is scheduled to be here on Tuesday for the rack/top reinforcement framing. If I'm still on hold waiting for jeep parts to arrive then I will likely get back on the trailer until the parts arrive.

Jevy

Adventurer
got quite a bit done today. I worked about a half day on the trailer. I managed to get the structure inside the top cut/fabricated and the base frame.

The interior framing is 1" square tubing 1/8" thick walled. I may put a couple more cross members in it once the tent arrives and I can see how it mounts.
2012-10-02_12-18-47_857.jpg

2012-10-02_12-19-03_30.jpg

2012-10-02_14-08-50_147.jpg

2012-10-02_14-08-36_962.jpg

I'm actually quite pleased with how well the top worked out. I still have lots of welding the base frame to the trailer but I had to take a break. I also have some 250# gas struts but it will be a while until I get to that part. For now I'm just tickled that I have the top on the trailer. I was getting tired of moving it. :) I really wanted a Sierra 4x4 top but understand that they are around a year wait and honestly I'm not that patient. Looking back I should have had the top made 2" thick instead of 5" deep because I could have just used 2" square thin wall tubing for the framing of the top but I saw online somewhere that someone had mounted a bungee net on the underside of the top to store light weight items. I plan to go that route but that's a long way down the road.

Jevy

Adventurer
Top turned out great!

Thanks! I'm really happy with the way it is turning out. This afternoon I also cut some tubing to put little "shelves" on the sides of the frame. I finally bit the bullet and purchased an abrasive chop saw and that sure beats using a band saw for my cuts.

Jevy

Adventurer
I'm now debating whether I should be cutting in a CJ rear tailgate......anyone have thoughts on that??????

Jevy

Adventurer
I've also been debating on stabilizer jacks for the trailer and finally decided to order 4 drop leg weld on stabilizer jacks. I will post up some pics/info of what I decide on for a mounting method

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
You will be happy you went with the 5" deep top, I know I am. I can load the trailer and then toss our umbrella chairs on top and still close the lid.

Jevy

Adventurer
Tonight I ordered the wheels/tires for the trailer. I thought I was going to pass out at the price. :) Two 15x8 american racing rims with two 35x12.50x15 tires. I'm going to be focusing on the Jeep for the next several days but will probably get back on it later in the weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne