How to remove the triple gauge in a 2.5?

Evo666

Observer
Hi I feel clueless on how to remove the triple gauge meters on a 99 Montero SR.
I see two button like covers one on each side but don't know if its removable.
The light in the compass is burnt and wanting to change that out.
Thanks! :sombrero:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Hi I feel clueless on how to remove the triple gauge meters on a 99 Montero SR.
I see two button like covers one on each side but don't know if its removable.
The light in the compass is burnt and wanting to change that out.
Thanks! :sombrero:
Takes a couple of minutes... Carefully pry them outwards using a small flathead screwdriver (tip should be no bigger than 1/8" wide x 1/16" thick in size). They are 'attached plastic caps that are retained so if your not careful you might break them because they arent that strong and the plastic part that holds them there is less than an 1/8" wide.

Once they are up you'll find a phillips screw beneath. Remove the screws and the caps will come off with them.

Next lift up the center pod cover.

You will see the guts of the center gauge pod. There are 4 screws holding the gauge pod chassis in place. Careful removing the 4 screws because they will fall under the cluster if you're not careful... Very careful. Better yet, use a quality magnetic screwdriver to remove them.

Be careful removing it and make sure you don't forget to disconnect the electrical connectors before yanking them up.

HTH.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
since were on the topic, Im thinking of removing my current gauges and replacing them with the inclinometer unit from earlier 2nd gens.

MontyMcV

Observer
Earlier Gen IIs were orange lit versus the later greens. Since they are both white by day, you can probably get away with swapping the bulbs...???

Silverwulf

Adventurer
Just a bulb cover. I took mine off the bulbs in compas, it is brightwer and white now. ('00 2.5) Are they plug and play, the clinometer?

Evo666

Observer
I noticed the compass in the 99' 2.5 had adjustment for inclinometer(read in manual). How would i go about activating it on the screen?
Unless its not really a good accurate feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier