Modifying my LV-416 Explorer

60Dan

Explorer
Hey guys,

Wanted to share with you my trailer build (well modification really!)

After reading so many great threads on this forum over the years, and seeing the talented work on here, not to mention the fantastic trailers Adventure Trailers produces, I got bitten by the bug and wanted to build one too!
Back in 2009 I set about trying to find an old military trailer to turn into a camping trailer. Well this seemed to be the height of the trailer craze as the old M416 trailers were going for over 1k, and I figured a partial restoration (media blasting, metal replacement, wiring, lights etc etc) I would be into it for another 1k, so before the mods begun I would be 2k into the build, and thats if I could even find one.

Well it goes to show that all good things come to those who wait, as in November of 2010 I came across this gem for sale from a guy here on Expo about an hour north of Nashville:

2010-11-13_14-55-08_605.jpg

2010-11-13_14-55-58_421.jpg

attachment-3_zpsb10d2ea3.jpg

attachment-4_zps9e75e687.jpg

Yes yes I know its not a military trailer, but its a solid platform of which to build, in excellent condition, and for the price I couldnt pass it up.

The trailer is called an LV-416 Explorer.
Produced by the now out of business Sierra 4x4 Trailers, not to be confused with the current Sierra 4x4 Trailers. The company that made this went out of business 2005 I believe. The stamp on the title marks this trailer as being built in 2003.
The tub is 4x6, has a water proof lid, a tongue that extends, roof rack and electric brakes.

Here is some literature sent to me by a guy on Mud:

attachment_zps982480c6.jpg

attachment-2_zpsa4369ed4.jpg

attachment-1_zpse68bdd63.jpg

Some people have said this is the closest built trailer to the the specs of the governments M416.

Anyway, shortly after winter of 2011 my Landcruiser engine swap went into full swing, sucking all available funds and so the trailer sat in my garage collecting dust. :(

Fast forward to present day, and with a trip out to Yellowstone planned for 2013, with a book of notes, drawings and ideas formulated over the last year, a stockpile of trailer goodies from Xmas, birthdays, anniversary's and such, the build is in full swing!
I hope this isnt more of the same, and you guys find at the very least an interesting read!

Plans for the trailer include, but not limited to:

Roof top tent
Tail gate addition
16" Landcruiser wheels plus 33" tires to match the tow rig
Awning mount
Fender relocation
Fender table
Upgrade existing lights to LED
Add additional LED running lights
Stabilizer Jacks
Propane tank mounts
Gas can/water holder
12v electrical system
Spring over Axle (maybe)
Paint scheme to match the LC (Green and Black)

60Dan

Explorer
Funny how your "start" is my year long still work in progress. You sir are one lucky man.

Yes I certainly got lucky with this! Using an old military trailer would have been awesome, but I would have tacked on another 6-8 months maybe longer to get it to this stage. It definitely sped up the process!

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Yes I certainly got lucky with this! Using an old military trailer would have been awesome, but I would have tacked on another 6-8 months maybe longer to get it to this stage. It definitely sped up the process!

Has taken me almost 2 years to get where you are starting!!!! Keep the pictures coming

60Dan

Explorer
Manage to score a set of 80 series LC wheels and tires off craigslist.

My wheels on the truck are powder coated black, but I cant justifying the cost to do that to these, so decided to rattle can them.
Scuffed up the wheels really good, 2 coats of etching primer, followed by 3 coats of flat black and 2 coats of clear. Cheap and easy to touch up.

2011-11-14_12-34-59_510.jpg

These wheels are a 6 lug bolt pattern where the trailer is only 5.

There are a few ways to get your 6 lug wheels to fit on a 5 lug hub:

1) Purchase an entire new axle assembly. ($$$'s, but the nice thing is, you just bolt it on)
2) Buy a 5 lug to 6 lug adapter
3) Send off your existing hubs and have the old studs punched out and new studs put in
4) Change out your 5 lug hubs for 6 lug hubs

I decided to go with option 4. Called the guys over at Redneck Trailer Supply.
They asked me to read off the numbers printed on the inner and outer bearings.
I was told that if the outer bearing number matched the inner bearing number, a 6 lug hub would not work and I would have to do a different route, but seeing as they were different, a 6 lug hub would be fine.

They were $84 a piece, because I have trailer brakes. If I didnt have trailer brakes they would have run about $44 each plus shipping.

Buying a whole new axle with trailer brakes would have been more expensive, I'll run it this way and see how it does

New hubs compared to the old ones:
2011-11-14_10-47-41_533.jpg

Re-packed bearings and installed:
2011-11-14_11-49-51_237.jpg

Before:
2011-11-10_13-57-23_643.jpg

After:
2011-11-14_16-18-39_331.jpg

2011-11-14_16-19-00_175.jpg

If you go this route and order from RTS, make sure you ask for grease seals when you order .... they never asked me, I guess I assumed they would be included!
Not a big deal just meant I had to go out and find some.

Fenders dont fit now, the plan is to raise them up to be flush with the crease in the tub. Should give me plenty of clearance and allow me to use the existing fenders ....

60Dan

Explorer
Thanks Mark.

Welded up the existing fender bolt holes and drilled new ones so the fenders would fit again. Got them as high as they would go

IMG_1119_zps11d75876.jpg

IMG_1120_zpsa2c11451.jpg

The most involved mod is going to be the tailgate. Its become obvious that with the awning and RTT deployed im going to need access to the trailer. Doing so would be a pain without a tailgate, so here we go .... :Wow1:

cutout_zps4c6af1eb.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
How does that liner material cut? melt and smelly?
Or like butter? Painting the tub to match the Toyota?
Gonna be a nice build. Like the wheels too!

60Dan

Explorer
How does that liner material cut? melt and smelly?
Or like butter? Painting the tub to match the Toyota?
Gonna be a nice build. Like the wheels too!

Cuts nice like butter unless you hold the heat on it too long then it starts to smolder!
Thanks for the kind words.
Yes the "theme" I suppose you could call it will be green and black to match the truck.
I thinking the tub and lid green, and fenders and frame black.

Picked up a pair of these to go on the tailgate of eBay:
latch_zpse1018d0f.png

They are a locking paddle latch made by SOUTHCO model number 64-10-302-90
They have a lock, are black (not a fan of chrome), and were on ebay for $11.50 each - couldnt pass that up

60Dan

Explorer
Got the hole cut for the tail gate and braced up.
Had planned on using the existing metal from the tub for the tail gate, but it got kinda warped during cutting so Im going to have to skin it with fresh sheet metal

2012-07-02_12-29-33_262_zps48941982.jpg

2012-07-02_12-28-02_225_zps24d5f343.jpg

60Dan

Explorer
Finished the tail gate - very happy with how it came out in the end.
I cut in the holes for the paddle latches and fabbed up a couple tabs which I attached to the back of the latch for the cable supports with a couple of nuts on each side. Its strong enough for my 4 year old son and 2 year old daughter to sit on, but would most likely break if I sat on it!
A friend of mine made the hinges from some 3/4" round tube, so if the need arises i can disconnect the cables and slide the entire tailgate off.

The pictures I took during the process seem to be stuck on my camera, so I took these just now with my phone of the final product primed and ready for paint

t3.jpg

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t4.jpg

60Dan

Explorer
I want the pax side of the trailer (right side if viewed from the back) to be my kitchen area, so decided to build a table to sit on the fender.
My little boy wanted to help sand the wood down, so I thought why not get them both involved so had them put their hand prints on the table :)
Pink for her, blue for him. I dated the bottom so will always remember when we did it - fun times!

I picked up some aluminum from Lowes and edged 3 sides of the table. Added some screws to hold it in place and countersunk them for a more finished look. I then put 4 coats of polyurethane on and polished up the aluminum.

2012-09-01_12-30-25_376_zps15050b32.jpg

2012-09-05_15-11-07_578_zpsc17279f5.jpg

2012-09-06_12-40-11_211_zpse5fbc741.jpg

2012-09-07_13-53-29_297_zpsf9b91f49.jpg

2012-09-07_13-53-02_733_zpsfbbff7bd.jpg

The table wedges in nicely but can come loose with minimal effort. Im going to have to figure out a way to mount it to the fender more securely. Maybe use a bolt and a wing nut that goes through the table and fender?? Im open to ideas ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles