Water Filtration / Purification

86tuning

Adventurer
For me; usually with a group and/or Scouts...gravity is slooowww....so a pump system is a must for me.
Usualy pumping into bladders also.

I don't like drinking from puddles...but sometimes..there is no other option...other than not eating/drinking.

Thanx for the input...will look at aquamira.
How long?
Any taste?

For large groups it may seem slow, but I assure you it's faster than my msr waterworks2. Our scout troop has no problems with it, and there isn't much of a lineup. Two filters, 22 scouts. Scouters have their own (mine).

I collect 1/2gal water in one bladder, hang it up and go do something else. Come back in less than five minutes and its ready to be reloaded.

In Canada we use Pristine which is the same clo2 as aquamira but a different brand name. Strong chlorine smell for a few minutes that dissipates and isn't really much worse than tap water. Certainly nowhere near as bad as a swimming pool.

BillTex

Adventurer
For large groups it may seem slow, but I assure you it's faster than my msr waterworks2. Our scout troop has no problems with it, and there isn't much of a lineup. Two filters, 22 scouts. Scouters have their own (mine).

I collect 1/2gal water in one bladder, hang it up and go do something else. Come back in less than five minutes and its ready to be reloaded.

In Canada we use Pristine which is the same clo2 as aquamira but a different brand name. Strong chlorine smell for a few minutes that dissipates and isn't really much worse than tap water. Certainly nowhere near as bad as a swimming pool.

We can find ourselves topping off mid day from small streams/pond/or even puddles...gravity systems would be way to slow and often not practical. Having a pump allows for drawing water from very shallow resources. Sometimes too shallow to even get a bottle to fill more than 1/2 way...a pump can suck water from a 1" deep puddle.
We can pump from a very small stream (etc) and fill a bladder in...2 minutes?...then top off the next Guy. We can refill a 5 or 6 man crew with a single pump in a short trail break. 10-15 mins we are hiking again.
I really think a pump system is best for us...was just trying to see what the latest thinking is (and still curious why pumps are no longer classified as purifiers???).

Tx, Bill

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
We use a lot of water when camping. The trailer carries 33 gallons in a food grade stainless steel tank.
_DSC0006.jpg

For a back up system, I have this: http://www.lifesaversystems.com/lifesaver-products/lifesaver-jerrycan
I have not found a water filter system that has a better (finer) filter system. I like that it is a pressurized system.
And the water tastes fantastic. Be careful, their videos may make you a little queazy. This filter is amazing.
Very pricey.

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz