Thread: MITSUBISHI MONTERO SPORT 2000 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    CHULA VISTA CA 91910
    Posts
    3

    Default MITSUBISHI MONTERO SPORT 2000 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

    Hi Im new at this forum and I'll apprecciate you counseling and suggestions.
    I've a Mitsu Montero Sport 2000 2 wheel drive but I"ve the problem at the morning when I take the car out of the garage I turn into Reverse but when I turn into D the gear doesn't move I have to wait for a few seconds. also it has a sound like if were the converter.
    help me please

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    4,071
    It may be shot at this point. Have you ever replaced the transmission fluid or done a transmission fluid flush? Unless they're abused, these transmissions tend to last hundreds of thousands of miles (easily 200k+).

    Also, you should always come to a complete stop before putting in park or into a gear that changes directions (reverse to drive & vice versa).

    1996 Montero SR (3.5L v6, rear Locker), 35" mudders, 3.15:1 xcase crawler gears
    Build Thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...su-build-up...
    1989 SWB Montero RS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 33" mudders (sold)
    1990 LWB Montero LS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 33" mudders (gave to rxinhed)
    1990 LWB Montero LS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 31" AT's (rolled 1st time I ever drove off road)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    CHULA VISTA CA 91910
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by off-roader View Post
    It may be shot at this point. Have you ever replaced the transmission fluid or done a transmission fluid flush? Unless they're abused, these transmissions tend to last hundreds of thousands of miles (easily 200k+).

    Also, you should always come to a complete stop before putting in park or into a gear that changes directions (reverse to drive & vice versa).
    Yes I changed the fluid with OEM fluid, I have a new fluid to change but I don't want to waste it just in case a need to rebuid it.
    Also when I did changed the fluid I asked the dealer if there was a fluid filter and they say no I want to know if that's true.
    My montero sport is 2000 but also I'd like to know if other models (99=2001-2003) are the same?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    4,071
    Unfortunately dealerships are not always the best sources of info (unless you're talking with one of their mechanics) so I frequently hold their info suspect until double checked.

    That said, I'm not sure which transmission is in your sport but on earlier Gen I Montero's the transmission did have a wire mesh filter which is accessible after removing the transmission pan.

    Perhaps you should download the Mitsu Factory Manual and ASA parts program from mitsubishilinks.com. Check in the Factory Service Manual if they show a filter and procedure for replacing it. For the ASA program, simply install it and use your VIN number to verify which tranny you have. Then you can better determine if the dealer is correct.
    Last edited by off-roader; 09-24-2012 at 08:34 PM.

    1996 Montero SR (3.5L v6, rear Locker), 35" mudders, 3.15:1 xcase crawler gears
    Build Thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...su-build-up...
    1989 SWB Montero RS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 33" mudders (sold)
    1990 LWB Montero LS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 33" mudders (gave to rxinhed)
    1990 LWB Montero LS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 31" AT's (rolled 1st time I ever drove off road)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    CHULA VISTA CA 91910
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by off-roader View Post
    Unfortunately dealerships are not always the best sources of info (unless you're talking with one of their mechanics) so I frequently hold their info suspect until double checked.

    That said, I'm not sure which transmission is in your sport but on earlier Gen I Montero's the transmission did have a wire mesh filter which is accessible after removing the transmission pan.

    Perhaps you should download the Mitsu Factory Manual and ASA parts program from mitsubishilinks.com. Check in the Factory Service Manual if they show a filter and procedure for replacing it. For the ASA program, simply install it and use your VIN number to verify which tranny you have. Then you can better determine if the dealer is correct.
    I found there is a filter available but the transmission needs to be disensembled but I'm not sure if only the oil pan
    Thank you very much

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    4,071
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUZVILLANUEVA View Post
    I found there is a filter available but the transmission needs to be disensembled but I'm not sure if only the oil pan
    Thank you very much
    If not in the Pan where are they saying it's located? I also checked the FSM and it does not show a filter. If I were you, I'd also ask the guys on 4x4wire.com's mitsu forum.

    1996 Montero SR (3.5L v6, rear Locker), 35" mudders, 3.15:1 xcase crawler gears
    Build Thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...su-build-up...
    1989 SWB Montero RS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 33" mudders (sold)
    1990 LWB Montero LS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 33" mudders (gave to rxinhed)
    1990 LWB Montero LS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 31" AT's (rolled 1st time I ever drove off road)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •