Kenya's Mobius Motors

haven

Expedition Leader
mobius2_zpsbf64e8f3.jpg

A fellow named Joel Jackson is making progress toward commercial production of an inexpensive vehicle designed for use in East Africa and other parts of the developing world. His company is called Mobius Motors. The vehicle pictured above is the second prototype. The design uses a small Toyota diesel engine and transmission. The chassis is a welded tube frame that claims to provide 13 inches of ground clearance. (The photo shows the body is a lot closer to the ground than that.) Complex parts like the headlights and instruments are sourced from other auto manufacturers. The only glass is the windshield. The vehicle can be configured to seat 7 plus the driver, or with seats removed, to carry 1100 lb of cargo.

Mobius Motors is taking orders. The price of the vehicle is about $7100 US before VAT. The target market is small business owners, the entrepreneurs who run the private taxis, drayage services, and farms.

Read more at the Mobius Motors web site http://mobiusmotors.com/vehicles/

Here's a four minute video that explains more about Mobius Motors.

Here's another video with nice views of the Kenyan landscape

Charo

Observer
What a great concept! As I was watching the video, I remember fondly the years I spent bouncing down those Ganze District roads that prompted this whole project. My Land Rover 110 served me well on those roads, and cost about the same as this vehicle, but it was 20 years old at the time! I wish these guys success as they bring affordable transportation to the rural African market.

Good Idea but...

I think the concept is good but I am concerned about the buy in from the local market. $7k+ will get you a pretty good used vehicle in that part of the world with many modern conveniences, so I do not see people giving that up for a bare bones vehicle that has no proven history. I do admire the idea and wish them luck, maybe additional funding will help them include basic features or reduce overall cost.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Kind of a new take of the VW Thing concept. Looks like its fwd to me. It should have much better capacity for its fuel consumption than other, older vehicles.
Custom chassis with toyota mechanicals reminds me of the springbuck from S.A. good luck

jham

Adventurer
certainly doesn't look like it's built for our roads here, but I can't knock it till I drive it. I'm headed over to Kenya in March, maybe I'll try and track these guys down.

I've test-driven a few 110s recently. Village roads aren't kind - I'm considering building a yota chassis based buggy to haul my keister around the villages.

certainly doesn't look like it's built for our roads here, but I can't knock it till I drive it. I'm headed over to Kenya in March, maybe I'll try and track these guys down.

I've test-driven a few 110s recently. Village roads aren't kind - I'm considering building a yota chassis based buggy to haul my keister around the villages.

Well, over a year later... Did you get to drive one of these?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne