Considering A Trailer

WaySlowWhitey

Brand new to the forum and looking for some help. We're camping more and more yet finding it harder and harder to load the T4R with our gear (Food/water, tent, cots, chairs, sleeping bags, MTB gear, dog, etc.). I have a rooftop Rola rack and load that up but at 6'6" and with my seat brackets I can only fold down the rear passenger side seat. Considering a Baja roof-rack or one of these to haul gear:

Ruger Trailers
- or -
About Us | SPACE™ Trailers

I would rather not fill the garage with the trailer (HOA won't allow me to park the trailer in the back yard) but looks like that's the direction to go. I'm also concerned about the weight of the trailer. I don't need/want anything too heavy as we're not going rock crawling or the like, just gettin away from the city when we can.

I've checked Craigslist here in Denver but have found nothing in the way of used.

Any thoughts, suggestions, pics?

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Depends on your 4runner...

WaySlowWhitey,

Welcome aboard! You have come to the right forum...

I was faced with the same dilemma last May. I had a '98 4runner with a mild lift, armor, winch, 31" tires, etc...I found the 4runner to be underpowered for my needs. I have an Outlander Sherpa II offroad trailer ~ 1800 lbs fully loaded. Towing was quite labored in my 4runner on 7-10% grades. My rationale for the trailer came from the realization that the 4runner is limited in storage for a family of 4, even with a BajaRack overhead...

2011-05-08_06-32-39_394.jpg

I have since upgraded to a Toyota Tundra. It has a ton of space / power, and I don't even know the trailer is back there.

IMG_0235.jpg

My Sherpa II is small enough to fit into a 3rd car garage and I have room for my rolling tool chest / cabinet, ZTR mower, and bikes...I would recommend that you look into a trailer, I love mine. I have been out 27 nights since I have bought it about 2 years ago.

Hope this helps,

BWJ

Septu

Explorer
First thought is that the Ruger trailer looks to be the sturdier of the two. No you're not wheeling it, so that's likely less of a concern... But on something that's has a similar price point, I'd want the product that's overbuilt.

WaySlowWhitey

Thanks Bigwapitijohnny and Septu. I've got the 5th gen T4R with the 4.0L. Coming from a Dodge CTD it's gutless. That said, trailer weight is a concern. To your point Septu the Ruger is the direction I'm leaning over the Space trailer. I looked at the Sherpa II and am finding that the typical pricine point for a "base" trailer with top is ~$3k - 3,500. Any other options I should consider? Manufacturers?

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
Brand new to the forum and looking for some help. We're camping more and more yet finding it harder and harder to load the T4R with our gear (Food/water, tent, cots, chairs, sleeping bags, MTB gear, dog, etc.). I have a rooftop Rola rack and load that up but at 6'6" and with my seat brackets I can only fold down the rear passenger side seat. Considering a Baja roof-rack or one of these to haul gear:

Ruger Trailers
- or -
About Us | SPACE™ Trailers

I would rather not fill the garage with the trailer (HOA won't allow me to park the trailer in the back yard) but looks like that's the direction to go. I'm also concerned about the weight of the trailer. I don't need/want anything too heavy as we're not going rock crawling or the like, just gettin away from the city when we can.

I've checked Craigslist here in Denver but have found nothing in the way of used.

Any thoughts, suggestions, pics?

Are you considering a Rooftop tent at any point in the future? If so, that would make a strong case against the SPACE trailer.

-Josh

WaySlowWhitey

Thanks for all the input. Likely not considering an RTT. Really just looking for a place to store our gear/bikes when we camp. Also like the idea of having a place to haul "stuff" (e.g. lumber, etc.). Having always had p/u's, the SUV is proving challenging in some ways.

huskyfargo

Adventurer
I have to second BWJ's thoughts on the Sherpa II. I searched and searched, but it's hard to beat the quality of construction, and the endless possibilities with the Outlander Trailers. I've had multiple tent set-ups with my trailer, and always plenty of room for all my gear.

Current set-up:
IMG_0512.jpg

Yakima SkyBox on top with bedding and tents:
DSCN0150.jpg

With the Oz Tent:
IMG_0308.jpg

With the RTT opening to the side:
IMG_0179.jpg

P1010173.jpg

Septu

Explorer
Thanks Bigwapitijohnny and Septu. I've got the 5th gen T4R with the 4.0L. Coming from a Dodge CTD it's gutless. That said, trailer weight is a concern. To your point Septu the Ruger is the direction I'm leaning over the Space trailer. I looked at the Sherpa II and am finding that the typical pricine point for a "base" trailer with top is ~$3k - 3,500. Any other options I should consider? Manufacturers?

Manley ORV is another one that's right in your price range. A little bigger than the Ruger. Weight difference is likely not an issue as it's still a 1/4 ton trailer. Although I'm not a fan of the soft top cover they use. Much prefer a raised hard cover one like what Serria or Adventure Trailer does.

@Manley, you really need to get your website up and running. Until then, at the very least you should have a link on it to your FB page.

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
Manley ORV is another one that's right in your price range. A little bigger than the Ruger. Weight difference is likely not an issue as it's still a 1/4 ton trailer. Although I'm not a fan of the soft top cover they use. Much prefer a raised hard cover one like what Serria or Adventure Trailer does.

@Manley, you really need to get your website up and running. Until then, at the very least you should have a link on it to your FB page.

Duly noted! The official launch is October 4th at the French Lick Jeep Jamboree and the website will be live for that. I updated my signature to go to our Facebook page until that time. Just bear with us a bit longer; it will be worth it.

Once small correction... we do offer a soft tonneau cover but we also offer a lockable aluminum lid and I've attached some pictures. Excuse the untouched ones from the photoshoot but they show it best. It's a single sheet of aluminum and the way that our rack mounts; there are no holes drilled in the top. We also have a lip that comes over the edge of the trailer an inch that I think cosmetically looks better and offers extra security against the elements. The ones with the Raptor show optional tie-downs that we designed to hold a spare tire or other gear on top.

-Josh

Attachments

• SHOT-13-CAMPING-TRAILER-PROFILE-LID-DOWN-51643.jpg
    SHOT-13-CAMPING-TRAILER-PROFILE-LID-DOWN-51643.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 27
  • SHOT-09-CAMPING-TRAILER-LOWER-ANGLE-51628.jpg
    SHOT-09-CAMPING-TRAILER-LOWER-ANGLE-51628.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 29
  • SHOT-14-REAR-CAMPING-TENT-SET-UP-9NORMAL-51649.jpg
    SHOT-14-REAR-CAMPING-TENT-SET-UP-9NORMAL-51649.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 26
  • SHOT-15-CAMPING-TENT-3QTR-TENT-LID-UP-51654.jpg
    SHOT-15-CAMPING-TENT-3QTR-TENT-LID-UP-51654.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Photo May 23, 5 50 37 PM.jpg
    Photo May 23, 5 50 37 PM.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Photo May 25, 6 59 22 PM.jpg
    Photo May 25, 6 59 22 PM.jpg
    576.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Photo May 28, 11 17 55 AM.jpg
    Photo May 28, 11 17 55 AM.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Photo May 28, 11 44 34 AM.jpg
    Photo May 28, 11 44 34 AM.jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

WaySlowWhitey

Thanks for all the feedback. In looking at the pricing, location, etc. I'm leaning towards either a Baja Rack with cargo box or the Ruger (Can't beat the price or the fact that they are local to me). Challenge with with the Ruger is storage. HOA won't allow trailers in the backyard and the garage is set.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:Or if you really wanna go extreme-

Sawmillllakejune12025.jpg

PICT0106.jpg

Sawmillllakejune12022.jpg

Getta Tentrax trailer and an "off Camber" rack-

They're not cheap, but fit a special catagory-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Septu

Explorer
Only issue with the Tentrax is that it's small to begin with, and you're really limiting your options going forward. Both with RTTs, and storage.

brentbba

Explorer
I'm thoroughly enjoying my little M101CDN. They are getting hard to find tho. My FZJ 80 probably for it's size and extra weight I have on her is as gutless as your 4runner, but I've had no issues towing the trailer at all. It tracks very well and hardly know it's back there most of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz