How to build an 80 on a budget

r3run33

Adventurer
thanks for posting all this! we need more treads like this; I love all the sema builds and other beautiful vehicles out there but most of us live in the real world and need the cash for the actual trip. How has the 80 performed so far?? is it a factory locked?

Sempertoy

Explorer
thanks for posting all this! we need more treads like this; I love all the sema builds and other beautiful vehicles out there but most of us live in the real world and need the cash for the actual trip. How has the 80 performed so far?? is it a factory locked?

I'm glad you enjoy it, it's been fun writing it. So far the 80 has performed better than I could have ever hoped! It is unlocked and has gone everywhere I wanted to take it. Some times it requires a little extra skinny pedal, but that's fun too! I have been really impressed with it up at big bear, I have taken it on several "black diamond" trails and have needed a tug once or twice... So the next thing on the list is an Aussie locker. After that I think I'll be just about unstoppable!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352651497.324596.jpg

Hung up on the pumpkin

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352651569.914573.jpg

Klierslc

Explorer
Is the center of your tire carrier standard hitch receiver size? Had a lightbulb go off for a small hitch rack to sit right there.....

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
Here it is on the garage floor, I'm sure chad will chime in and post the link to his thread on mud.

View attachment 130250

This actually isn't mine, but it was saved on my phone and clearer than the picture I took.

Here is the link: http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/307322-redneck-enginuitive-belly-pan-finished.html

The new design has more bracing than what is in that pic but we are having some issues. We may have to go back to the OG design. There was nothing wrong with the original, we just can't stop modifying things...

Sempertoy

Explorer
I installed my skid this morning. I had set aside a couple hours, in case something went wrong or bolts were stuck. It took me an hour to do and that includes drive time to the shop where I work, and clean up after. The install was very very simple. Like if you can't do this you are very silly simple. I'm relieved to have this on and the piece of mind will be well worth it the next time I'm out in the rocks.

On a side note, for some reason I thought it was going to be a t case and drive line skid, but it's a t case and tranny pan skid. Very well thought out design! Two skids and a super beefy crossmember for a heck of a deal! Chads skid is da bomb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior