How to build an 80 on a budget

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Will be driving through Texas on the 10 mid July or so, would like to meet up for a night of camping or meet up for BBQ. Any recommendations as we pass through? Starting to plan our cross country... Great pics and write ups, glad to see you back on ExPo. Yikes... on that gator fish. :Wow1:

Sempertoy

Explorer
Will be driving through Texas on the 10 mid July or so, would like to meet up for a night of camping or meet up for BBQ. Any recommendations as we pass through? Starting to plan our cross country... Great pics and write ups, glad to see you back on ExPo. Yikes... on that gator fish. :Wow1:

Hey man, I would love to meet up and grub some BBQ with you and the fam! We live about 15 minutes away from Rudy's which serves "the worst bbq in Texas". Not sure about a camping trip right now, I'm taking 12 credits this summer:REOutShootinghunter but If I can swing something I would love to. Just an FYI July is going to be hot! The summers are brutal.

Sempertoy

Explorer
bringing back from the dead. Got a BIOR tube bumper put on the cruiser. Could not be happier with the final product, and it comes in at a great price. It was just over $700 getting it purchased and shipped from CO to TX.

Sempertoy

Explorer
No pic, but I also got a DC front shaft made by tatton's drive line in SLC. Great product, and eliminated all vibration. Cost was $275 to my door.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
Nice build and great thoughtful insight. I am going to be starting along the same lines as you soon in terms of trying to set a budget and stick to it. Im going to try and find the best one I can for 3-5 and try to do the least to get the most out of it. Yours was already lifted that is huge because that changes what you can do initially big time. Tires are usually the first upgrade. I will be keeping an eye to see where you go from here because at this point any mods you do are wants not needs. This is the grey area where you either control impulses or drop silly money into it. Ill be watching with interest. :)

Sempertoy

Explorer
Nice build and great thoughtful insight. I am going to be starting along the same lines as you soon in terms of trying to set a budget and stick to it. Im going to try and find the best one I can for 3-5 and try to do the least to get the most out of it. Yours was already lifted that is huge because that changes what you can do initially big time. Tires are usually the first upgrade. I will be keeping an eye to see where you go from here because at this point any mods you do are wants not needs. This is the grey area where you either control impulses or drop silly money into it. Ill be watching with interest. :)

Eh.. Some of the things thus far have been wants and not needs. Or needs necessitated by wants. I.E. I WANT to be able to wheel harder trails, thus I NEED more armor. From a completely utilitarian standpoint, I probably could have left it as is when I bought it and not done a thing to it. The build will never be finished though. I NEED/WANT new lower control arms, want a snorkel, need rear upper control arms, need new rear shocks, need new rear suspension bushings, need new passenger side mirror since mine is smashed, WANT the new 4wheelunderground 3 link kit..... and the list goes on and on in a never ending circle.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Decided to post here about my new tires. As you may have read in my other thread, I was having a terrible time deciding on new tires. I debated going with an aggressive all terrain, but in the end, I just could not bring myself to downgrade the aggressiveness of the tires I am running. This is primarily for offroading, and has become less of a daily over the last couple years. I ended up going with a new set of MTR's. As you may recall, my last tires I bought on CL for $700. I dont know how many miles they had on them when I bought them, they were well used. I put another 23k on them, but it was time for new rubber.

I bought 37x12.5x17 MTR's and mounted them on my fjc steelies, same set up I was running. The only miles they have on them are from discount to my house, and then a little errand running. They are very quiet in comparison to my old tires.

I also got my gransfors small hatchet mounted today. This was a gift to me, from my wife when our daughter was born in November.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne