How to build an 80 on a budget

Sempertoy

Explorer
I had a fun day yesterday doing my first axle rebuild. It was actually much more simple than I was expecting, however it was just as messy as everyone says.

A friend of mine came over and together we tackled the project in a out 5 1/2 hours, so 11 man hours. What made it nice was having access to a lift and a completely stocked tool room. The only thing we supplied was the axle seal installer.

We were both on a tight schedule and this was the only weekend that worked for both of us before a big wheeling trip next Saturday.

I used the kit from cruiseroutfitters, all the parts fit perfect and the bearing look to be OEM quality.

While I had the front apart I pulled the diff out so I could replace the gasket (bad leak) much to my surprise I found that I had two broken teeth on my ring gear... I thought back to when I could have broken them and I'm sure it was my trip to big bear playing around on John Bull or dishpan springs.
I'm sad about the broken teeth, but not overly concerned. If I have learned one thing about 80's it's that they are very over engineered. I'll run this until I can find a cheap replacement or maybe until I re gear.

One tip I have after reading about axle rebuilds, a lot of people say you don't have to disconnect the tie rod. I would save the time fighting it and do it from the beginning. We didn't disconnect it in the beginning and ended up doing it during reassembly. Other than that, it's a straight forward job with the FSM. I feel certain that I could tackle it myself next time.

Sempertoy

Explorer
equjy8y2.jpg

a6ahavar.jpg

re5ypuzy.jpg

egana2uv.jpg

age5ysav.jpg

tamepy2u.jpg

baja dan

Observer
yeah access to that lift was great along with all the tools in that shop, 5.5 hrs wasnt bad that was start to finsh we could of taken longer but we were both on a tight schedule it kinda felt like when i would pit in the baja we did everything right and no shortcuts were taken

Sempertoy

Explorer
yeah access to that lift was great along with all the tools in that shop, 5.5 hrs wasnt bad that was start to finsh we could of taken longer but we were both on a tight schedule it kinda felt like when i would pit in the baja we did everything right and no shortcuts were taken

Haha yeah! We flew through that.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Well I guess the decision has been made for me. Thanks Mother Nature.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361118807.540661.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361118825.884424.jpg

Lost one on each side, back to back obstacles.

Klierslc

Explorer
So...can I buy your P/S rear flare before you break it? :sombrero: How badly broke is the front one? Looks like a fun trip though!

Sempertoy

Explorer
So...can I buy your P/S rear flare before you break it? :sombrero: How badly broke is the front one? Looks like a fun trip though!

Luckily for you ps rear is still on. I'll take my time removing it and its yours. Front broke two clips off. I think it would be a hassle to replace it.

The trip was incredible! I'll post up some pics and vids soon.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Here are a few pics from this weekend. Ill link some YouTube videos later.

esenahes.jpg

muge4u6a.jpg

qy5ytyja.jpg

rynu9a4a.jpg

ama8umer.jpg

ry8yhyzu.jpg

This happened when somehow I managed to rip the sway bar off the axle housing (its welded on) the loose mount was flipping around and ripped off the hard brake line and just about took out the ABS sensor. I was leaking fluid badly so we used these vice grips to clamp the hose off. The best part is this was all before the last obstacle called "death row" I had to descend using my e brake because the pedal wouldn't hold pressure. I have a video of the last half of that descent ill post up. It was pretty fun.

5a7uzesy.jpg

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
This happened when somehow I managed to rip the sway bar off the axle housing (its welded on) the loose mount was flipping around and ripped off the hard brake line and just about took out the ABS sensor. I was leaking fluid badly so we used these vice grips to clamp the hose off. The best part is this was all before the last obstacle called "death row" I had to descend using my e brake because the pedal wouldn't hold pressure. I have a video of the last half of that descent ill post up. It was pretty fun.

This is so common on 80-Series that get wheeled hard. I broke mine off too. Once it happened I started looking into it and found that a lot of people had this issue. I try to tell everybody to remove the front swaybar when they install the lift. The front doesn't flex enough to even notice that it's gone.

Sempertoy

Explorer
This is so common on 80-Series that get wheeled hard. I broke mine off too. Once it happened I started looking into it and found that a lot of people had this issue. I try to tell everybody to remove the front swaybar when they install the lift. The front doesn't flex enough to even notice that it's gone.

I've thought about leaving it off... But I don't really like the feeling of it on the highway. Not sure what to do at this point.

EDIT: ok just pulled it off. Hopefully I don't crash and die.

Last edited:

CreeperSleeper

I'm suprised you noticed a difference with the front swaybar off. I noticed the rear but not the front... If it makes you feel better, I had to do a 60+ mph emergency lane change in my 80 once and it was fine. Scary but fine. That was with J springs, L shocks, no castor correction, no swaybars and unbalanced bias 37" Swampers. I don't recommend it, but it's still very stable.

Sempertoy

Explorer
I'm suprised you noticed a difference with the front swaybar off. I noticed the rear but not the front... If it makes you feel better, I had to do a 60+ mph emergency lane change in my 80 once and it was fine. Scary but fine. That was with J springs, L shocks, no castor correction, no swaybars and unbalanced bias 37" Swampers. I don't recommend it, but it's still very stable.

So now that I have completely removed it, it feels better. I guess having it attached to only one side was causing a little pull. Much better now!

CreeperSleeper

Ah, that makes sense. I was so ticked off when I broke mine on the trail that I ripped the whole thing out and threw it... Then I fixed my brake line... Then I had to find the swaybar so I wouldn't litter... LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles