Small camper

garybo

Adventurer
Started thinking about a smaller, more economical full camper, no tent. Can we have one in the US? We have a Fuso camper that gets 12mpg. 20mpg would be an improvement, 25 would be amazing. I believe the Winnebago VW based Rialta, last made in '05, gets 20mpg . Probably difficult to turn the Rialta into an overlander. Probably can't import the cutaway chassis anyway.
I don't think a Sprinter rig can get 20mpg, maybe 17mpg, but again difficult to make the Winnebago View into an overlander.
Maybe the best chassis today for a small rig is the Tacoma/Hilux. Probably wouldn't have 4wd due to the cost, weight and complexity. Most of the routine world can be seen with 2wd? Would put rear lockers on. So, what camper would mount on a pickup bed or flatbed Tacoma with diesel cooker and heater, compressor frig, full solar, cassette toilet, and come in under GVWR with full fluids, gear and 2 persons? and be tough enough to tolerate corregations/ potholes on many days without falling apart?
The XP camper is a consideration but might not fit considering weight?
What are your thoughts? Gary

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
How many creature comforts do you want? We were contemplating the same thing last year. The Sprinter was towards the bottom of our list. After a ton of research and visiting with pretty much every "Overland" camper manufacturer in the U.S., the Sprinter moved to the top of our list and we decided we could build our own using better materials and techniques than much of what was available (campers like the XP are on a whole different level with their molded design). We've consistently gotten 20-22mpg for the past year. With some careful driving it's taken us everywhere we've wanted to go.

i-F6w5tFB-M.jpg

i-8452X2w-M.jpg

i-4N4nj8Q-M.jpg

Good luck with your search!

garybo

Adventurer
thanks for the pictures. Yours is the idea we're wanting to explore. Would you mind telling us some of the details? insulation material and thickness? how did you fix the cabinets to the roof? toilet/cassette? cooktop? frig? table? how is the bed made to sleep on? any other details. thanks Gary

lqhikers

Adventurer
it really needs a door!

WE pondered for a long time before we ended up with a bengal tiger rv.

the milage and van style of the sprinter has always peeked our interest,

but the thing that made us not go the sprinter route (the 4x4 option was not the reason)

the killer was that the sprinter has a sliding side door as we have had a lot of vans in the past,

vw,astro, chevy step van, ford van most with side doors,but not rv type with screen,for us who travel with pets

( cat in our case) it is a pain when camping for long periods which we do not to have easy access in and out

of camper.plus as we spend 90% of our time in the desert we need all the air flow we can get (we also boondock

almost 100%)

have tried all type of netting,etc but is all a hassle in day in day out living.

i have come to the idea that what is needed is a builder to come out with a after market composite/fiberglass replacement

side door with a framed in rv/screen door that could easily replace slider,then i would buy a sprinter!

what got me thinking this way was a armored brinks type sprinter that had a side door in place of slider(just cut into slider and mounted),It was small not rv type.

any one else think this would be a good idea?

Les,lqhiker

garybo

Adventurer
Our creature comforts do not include generator, microwave, AC or TV, so we're good to go without these. A generator might be needed if enough solar won't fit on the roof.

garybo

Adventurer
I think the payload of the Tacoma is about 1500 lbs. I don't know how a durable camper and gear could be brought in under 1500 lbs? I was thinking of the Tacoma/Hilux for parts and service, but the weights don't add up.
The Sprinter panel vans, super high roof, have payloads of about 2600-5000 lbs, a 144" wheelbase and 400 cu ft interior. Maybe a better overall choice. Don't know about parts/service in other countries.

TomH

Adventurer
Three good options are:

Alaskan Camper for either pickup or flatbed

Provan Tiger CX or Bengal on Chevy, Dodge, or Ford 3500/350 truck

Sportsmobile on Ford E-350

spaceman

I am having a 2003 3500 158" WB Sprinter being made into a camper. I hated the sliding door, so I went to a fabricator, with a pair of rear door hinges and got the sliding door cut in half. One side welded in permanently and the other made into a door. Works beautifully but I have not spent time figuring out if I can mount a screen door yet. A friend in NZ is building a camper he ordered without a sliding door and then had one fabricated out of fiberglass.

Larry

garybo

Adventurer
the Alaskan, Tiger and Sportsmobile are getting toward the larger size as is the full size XP. I just saw the XP v2 for the Tacoma. Don't know the weight and what's inside but it might be a consideration.

garybo

Adventurer
And I think both the Tiger and full size XP would be better on a 450/4500 chassis considering weight. Provan can custom use this chassis and will also custom use diesel and DC appliances instead of propane.

lqhikers

Adventurer
tiger weight.

we custom ordered a 2012 3500 chevy signal cab. tiger bengal 4x4,weight ticket from state with full
fuel,water, propane,and driver-8,800 lbs,truck factory gvw 10,800 lbs,2,000 lbs for "toys".

with planing you do not need larger truck. extended,dual cab,diesel,another story.

Les,lqhikers

Last edited:

lqhikers

Adventurer
Spaceman i would love to see pictures of your door mods on your sprinter.even better if you can add screen door.

Les lqhikers

westyss

Explorer
we custom ordered a 2012 3500 chevy signal cab. tiger bengal 4x4,weight ticket from state with full
fuel,water, propane,and driver-3,800 lbs,truck factory gvw 10,800 lbs,2,000 lbs for "toys".

with planing you do not need larger truck. extended,dual cab,diesel,another story.

Les,lqhikers

I think thats a typo there, 3,800 lb's?? Must be 8,800lb's right? Which is real good!

I looked hard at the Sprinters and even was waiting to see if a four wheel drive sprinter was going to make it over to NA but got tired of waiting, The Sprinter has to be one of the best platforms for a camper but sure would be nice to have 4x4 to get into that one camp spot when you need it! But I would stick to the 2500 for single wheels.

lqhikers

Adventurer
typo yes

i mean 8,800 lbs for tiger,
as i put that would be one light tiger!

i went back and changed it,thanks for catching my "mis speak"

Les,lqhikers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles