Rain/Shade Tarps--best bag for the buck?

jet noise

Observer
Due to limited storage in the trailer, I'm looking for something to keep my outdoor camp kitchen protected during rain, etc. A tarp would probably fit the bill best just cause it would pack down small. the Kelty Noah 12 or 16 seems like a big enough tarp, and the price is right. But, I know jack squat about the things or even how to pitch one properly. I could use your inputs and pics would be great, too! I don't think I need to have the thing totally enclosed, just some top cover would be fine.

XJINTX

Explorer
Not a lot of help in the rain... but we don't get a lot here in TX so I bought a used parachute on ebay. If able and set up camp with wind in appropriate direction it's simple to tie / pole up and GREAT for shade. It goes in a stuff bag and stores easily.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
There are some nice nylon tarps on ebay in various sizes, I will be going that route and using some tent poles once I figure out which size tarp works best.

jet noise

Observer
For now, I'm just going to use my military poncho to cover my kitchen. Eventually, I might go with a kelty Noah 16 or something similar.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Thanks, just ordered one, REI even pays the shipping. Looks like a nice tarp, with parabolic sides and made of polyester so it will not stretch so bad when wet. I always hate nylon, strong but stretchy and more of a plastic feel. I'm also glad they didn't put in some cheap poles either.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I guess those are nice "tarps", kinda like wearing my polo flece top compared to my an Army sweater or Wal-Mart fleece top.

I'd always go for heavy duty if I don't ever have to pack up a hill on my back. I prefer a more industrial grade tarp, canvas usually, depending on the most used purpose. I have also used a series of smaller tarps, two lean tos facing each other with a gap between the tops and a third like a pup tent higher up covering the gap. I'd build a small fire in the center and use a ground cloth, a light PVC tarp or my poncho. Small tarps can be configured in a varity of shapes taking advantage of prevailing winds or blocking them.

The first video, IMO, was a good one but looks like a knot class, I always use a hitch slip knot with a loop, when para cord gets wet it can be hard to untie if it had alot of tension on it. Another thing if tied off to a tree, run the line between the forks of a tree not around it as wind can move the line up or down on a single loop around the trunk. If there is no fork of limbs, run the line around the trunk twice, go around and loop over the line then the other direction around and tighten over the line and tie off. This will keep you line from climbing or slipping in heavy winds and rain.

At corners on any tarp with eyes or straps I never use them as designed, they are usually too weak. I take the corner and get a wad of the material and put a slip knot on the material then fold the eye or strap over and then tie in the eye or strap so that the surface tied off is much larger than just pulling at the sewed strap or pulling on the eye. DOing so will make those connections last alot longer and be stronger in a good blow.

Putting up a tarp as a flat roof area is okay for shade but if leaving the sight I'd suggest you lower one side, wind blowing against a tarp is like a sail, it can take a steady blow or gust, but flat it may cause the tarp to flap in a lighter breeze putting more strain on the tied off areas and wearing the materail faster.

If bad weather is expected or you have significant prevailing winds put the low corner or side facing the wind. The lower the better.

You can also use a tarp to direct prevailing winds into your camp area, tent or camper, nice as a screen and warm weather, the can also direct heat from you fire. Never build a blazing fire under your tarp! When I mentioned that above, I talking small using small fuel and coals while I'm laying next to it and not going to sleep with flames or uncovered. Common sence.

If I ever use a stick/limb as a tent pole, put a towel or some material over the wood otherwise it may find the sharpes point and damage your tarp.

I guess you can spend some good money for tarps for those that last. A good canvas tarp is a painters cloth at a box store and most are usually treated, but you can do that yourself. Another source is liquor stores, bars and beer distributors (some of my favorite places) and see if you can snag an advertising tarp/sign or a used billboard, they are heavy PVC, sometimes with eyes already attached, and how cool is it to have a big Budwiser tarp....LOL And, as I mentioned in another thread call swimming pool supply shops where thay haul off used swimming pool covers after installing new ones. One more scrounge possibility, if you are arounf a trucking depot, they use large tarps to cover loads, many get torn and tossed, if you know someone, you might get a used one from the unpacking of machinery to be delivered. Free stuff is a good price!

I know this is old stuff for most, but the op said he has no experience, so there ya go, some tips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94