What camera do you carry on the trails?

SteeperJeeper

What kind of cameras do people carry on the trails?

I looked for a thread on here about what cameras people carry, but my search came up empty handed. If this thread is out there, and someone could post a link that would be cool. However, if there isn't I think we should start the thread.

I carry a gopro hero2.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Nikon D300 with the 18-200VR lens. Been working very good since 2007.

Also started carrying my Canon S95 in the console. Good for a quick grab and shoot.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Canon 1DsMkII with a 24-70 F2.8 L and a 70-200 F 4.0 L lens - if you're going to take pictures at least make sure they are good pictures.

Good glass on a DSLR is the key - fast shutter response and shutter speeds over 125 get the job done

X2. I carry a Canon 7D with the 16-35mm MKII F2.8 L on it. I have other lenses, but this sees 95% of the action.

697223684_vF2A6-XL.jpg

Yellowkayak

Adventurer
Canon Rebel T2, with multiple lens and an Olympus WS700 (I take this one kayaking and fishing, water would ruin the Canon).

Honu

lost on the mainland
Olympus OMD EM5 Mirrorless

my new toy also :) mainly cause size is so nice compared to the pro gear going to shoot half of next weeks paid gig with it :)

a few folks I know are shooting the Fuji X series now in weddings

and I have a lot of pro gear including multiple L glass both primes and zooms etc.. since I do photography for a living the OMD for anything up to 20x30 can easily do anything a DSLR can do
and I dont like carrying around big heavy stuff all the time :) when other options are available that can do the same job :)

of course the Leica and Leica glass are in a whole other category of files with the correct high end glass !

it still comes down to the photographer :)

color and dynamic range are about equal to the modern DSLR and in print you wont notice it while very few could tell the difference in some shots with pro dslr in a pros hands and while I will give a small lead for sure to the FF DSLR in some situations its not that cut and dry anymore :) any APS-C I dont think their is much of a lead unless it comes to shallow DOF but then you go FF !
high iso is about 2 stops behind the latest DSLR
so really the OM-D M4/3 and APS-C are the same and FF still holds a small lead sometimes but at the cost of size weight and cost and again comes down to the shooter not the gear :)
also this is basically about the Oly OMD since its above the other M4/3 IMHO with the new sony sensor coming out in the other PEN series they will also be on that level !!
which is a great thing to photography !
one other thought lens like the new panny/leica 25 f1.4 are great the new 12-35 panny F2.8 zoom is insane good and without trying to pixel peep is everything a L glass lens is !!!

their are situations where a FF DSLR are for sure nicer but I think those are becoming smaller :) anything specialty has its niche
arch work without a cambo wide :) now a FF DSLR and T/S
super low light FF and fast prime
on the trail a combo of a gopro and whatever you like to shoot :)

just want to be clear I dont think its better :) but its surely not worse and each has its pros cons but have to say once you start shooting the OMD it surely has its place in a photographers life :)

just like the days when you had to have a med format and 35 took over then the 35 guys said the same thing about digital and now its the digital DSLR against mirrorless :) haahaha

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94