What camera do you carry on the trails?

denzburr

I carry a Canon 5d III, 7D, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-300L, 600 EX-RT flash. All fits in a mid-sized bag and covers the basic ranges.

cnutco

Adventurer
Never really though about bringing my DSLR's... I just use my IPhone.

Although, I am a Nikon shooter with crop and FF bodies with fast glass. I might have to bring something next time out. NOW, to find somewhere to go...

kevint

Adventurer
On the trails I just take my Canon S-100.

When weight doesn't matter, Pentax K-5 with whatever lens fits my plans.

denzburr

I'm right there with you. Where to go that is close enough..

Never really though about bringing my DSLR's... I just use my IPhone.

Although, I am a Nikon shooter with crop and FF bodies with fast glass. I might have to bring something next time out. NOW, to find somewhere to go...

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I've lightened the load considerably. I used to take my Nikon and all the heavy glass, but now they sit inside a Pelican case in the closet the majority of the time. For the past year, I've shot over 90% with my Olympus E-P3. The small size and low weight also makes flying and traveling with just a carry-on (backpack) so much more enjoyable. And because the Olympus E-P3 is so light, it's almost always hanging around my neck or shoulder ready for those grab shots.

denzburr

I've been attempting to use an iPhone for that although I can say the quality leaves a lot to be desired. I always end up packing the big glass.

jonharis

Nikon D7000 with various Glass, 90% of the time my 10-24 is on the body.
iPhone4 (soon to be 5s when they come out), always with me and amazing when used right.
Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 for extreme snow, rain, underwater. Not a bad camera and bomb proof.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
I've lightened the load considerably. I used to take my Nikon and all the heavy glass, but now they sit inside a Pelican case in the closet the majority of the time. For the past year, I've shot over 90% with my Olympus E-P3. The small size and low weight also makes flying and traveling with just a carry-on (backpack) so much more enjoyable. And because the Olympus E-P3 is so light, it's almost always hanging around my neck or shoulder ready for those grab shots.

I struggle with the quality/ weight trade off thing all the time. I also struggle with the times where I just want to go and let my mind be the keeper of the moments. I have a backpack that fits all my camera gear, some magazines, a jacket and all the "carry on" stuff I need. Yeah it's heavy, but allows me to bring the whole kit along just in case. I have been watching the new mirrorless cameras and am really impressed, but don't have the pocketbook for adding another system to my collection.

I plan on getting a pelican case soon to move all my stuff out of the backpack. It's full and I plan on adding more glass. Plus I find that when I am out in a vehicle I don't need the features of a backpack, and the pelican will be much easier to access and keep out the dust (a major issue in the sonoran desert). I surely hope my good stuff doesn't end up sitting in the closet....

Ash

Adventurer
Leica M8
50mm Summilux ASPH
28mm Summicron ASPH

I switched from DSLR over a year ago. The M system will be my system for life. Might grab a Leica M 240 later on. Also a Leica X1 or X2 for the wife.

zanshin

Canon 5D MkII and 7D, various EOS lenses but usually 16-35mm f2.8 and 50mm f2.5 macro and 100mm f2.8 macro; other common ones include the 85mm f1.8, 45mm f2.8 tilt-shift, 200mm f2.8, 2x converter, 70-300mm. Variable ND filters.

Sony PMW-EX1.

Various tripods (Sachtler, Manfrotto, SLIK), heads, sliders, etc. as determined by the shoot and location. Almost always carry and use my SmallHD DP6 monitor anymore if doing video.

Way too damn many batteries.

kevint

Adventurer
Canon 5D MkII and 7D, various EOS lenses but usually 16-35mm f2.8 and 50mm f2.5 macro and 100mm f2.8 macro; other common ones include the 85mm f1.8, 45mm f2.8 tilt-shift, 200mm f2.8, 2x converter, 70-300mm. Variable ND filters.

Sony PMW-EX1.

Various tripods (Sachtler, Manfrotto, SLIK), heads, sliders, etc. as determined by the shoot and location. Almost always carry and use my SmallHD DP6 monitor anymore if doing video.

Way too damn many batteries.

On the trail?

zanshin

Yup, but not all at the same time, of course! Once I carried my Sony EX1 and Sachtler tripod and fluid head up a mountain in Banff NP, Alberta. Got up to the lookout view I wanted, went to set up the tripod and one leg fell completely apart. Won't repeat the nasty words that were uttered. Another time in Jasper NP we humped three hours to get back to a glacial waterfall view, set up the vid cam and it started to rain during my first take. Then it started to rain hard. Then it started to thunder and lightning, and then it started to hail. We headed back but the creek rose, lakeshore trail went underwater and we had to bushwhack through thick willow growth alongside it. 4 hours later we got back through the parking lot where we left the car looking like drowned rats even with rain gear on. Lots of Asian tour bus riders clicking pictures of the crazy white people.

I hike with my wife and she carries one DSLR body and a couple lenses, I carry the other body, lenses, mic and accessories. I was Airborne Infantry and SF for a number of years; the camera gear is nothing compared to what we used to hump. But then, I'm a lot older now, too!

Below is a shot of my typical 5D2 video rig with 16-35mm lens, monitor, mic and big battery on a Manfrotto 536 tripod with a 701 *fluid* head. We were at Emerald Lake (Yoho NP, B.C.) headwaters, on the Yoho Pass trail toward the Iceline.

Zanshin 5D2 rig.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles