Scissor Lift for RTT

kb7our

Explorer
I am contemplating how one might adapt a small lightweight lift to mount on top of an AT that when the trailer is parked facilitates raising the base of a RTT say as much as an additional 6-12 inches. Benefit is enough room underneath the RTT to walk or set up an annex. Unit would not need to hold a ton of weight - just the RTT plus occupants. Operation on 12V would be nice but manual crank or turn for a hydraulic setup could work too. Must be light weight and adaptable to RTT mounts. For me 6" of lift while camped would be awesome. On the ATs since I don't have mine yet I'm not sure if the awning lift mechanism could be adapted at four couners of a RTT mount. This all seems do-able albeit with some "ingenuity". Thoughts?

spressomon

Expedition Leader
kb7our said:
I am contemplating how one might adapt a small lightweight lift to mount on top of an AT that when the trailer is parked facilitates raising the base of a RTT say as much as an additional 6-12 inches. Benefit is enough room underneath the RTT to walk or set up an annex. Unit would not need to hold a ton of weight - just the RTT plus occupants. Operation on 12V would be nice but manual crank or turn for a hydraulic setup could work too. Must be light weight and adaptable to RTT mounts. For me 6" of lift while camped would be awesome. On the ATs since I don't have mine yet I'm not sure if the awning lift mechanism could be adapted at four couners of a RTT mount. This all seems do-able albeit with some "ingenuity". Thoughts?

Martyn came up with this concept when we were discussing the best way to get the Maggiolina atop my Horizon. Ideally it would be nice to have the RTT close to the Horizon/Chaser lid when travelling then be able to raise it when camping as needed and/or to be able to raise the lid so the Maggiolina clears the sidebox of the Horizon.

The Maggiolina has a simple but effective lift mechanism that could be the basis of an RTT lift.

Let me know when you get it figured out...I want one! :arabia:

Dan

kb7our

Explorer
Small version of a kwiklift

spressomon said:
Martyn came up with this concept when we were discussing the best way to get the Maggiolina atop my Horizon. Ideally it would be nice to have the RTT close to the Horizon/Chaser lid when travelling then be able to raise it when camping as needed and/or to be able to raise the lid so the Maggiolina clears the sidebox of the Horizon.

The Maggiolina has a simple but effective lift mechanism that could be the basis of an RTT lift.

Let me know when you get it figured out...I want one! :arabia:

Dan

Something like this concept could work in a "small roof top version" with maybe just a side handle/lever in front and one in back that you pivot into position to raise the RTT mount. You would order the leg height you need for a given situation. Easier said that done I know but it seems possible.

http://www.kwiklift.com/

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
How about scavanging the lift system out of an old Alaskan Camper?

The Maggiolina design could easily be operated by a linear actuator like those used on some of the power tonneau covers.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
This idea is one of the many things we have on the to do list. But people keep ordering trailers!!!!! and then we have to build :)

The options right now seem to be;

Ground mounted system like those used to lift slide in campers. The tent would need to be lifted up higher than the fully opened position of the lid. Large and bulky, if they remain attached would make great targets to get removed by boulders and tree limbs. If they are removed where do you store them?

Vertical lift system attached to the chassis, basically the same as above. Less prone to involuntary removal by stationary objects.

Lid mounted option. This would seem to be the simplest and smallest, but it needs to resist side to side instability and not overload any single point or points on the trailer lid. The raised tent would then lift with the lid.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Wish Upland weren't 100 miles away, I'd be interested in a new design position. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior