Help with M416 Lid Latches

Jeepcrz

I've build a lid for my M416 and assembled it and put it on top of my M416 with a RTT and a bike rack. I took it on a bike race trip this weekend and it did great, the only thing I have not finished yet is the latching mechanisum. I am currently using rachet straps. I have bought a few latches from McMaster Carr, but nothing really fits or works. I have looked at the multi point latches, my concern is breaking the integrity of the lid from a leakage standpoint; but I like the idea and ability to open both sides from one location.

I have attached a few photos showing the set up. I was hoping to get some ideas on some other setups. I have to be able to lock it as well. I am not against the idea of securring to the top of the lid, I can deal with the sealing if needed.

I have seen Blackburns set up and I am toying with the idea of using his latching set up.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestsions,
Jeepcrz

Here is a side view.
1505822453_1783c1b609.jpg

Another view.
1505818157_51cad449b4.jpg

There is 3" from top of lid to the bottom of my support frame.
1505824097_de3ec14062.jpg

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Locking or not?

If you don't want the lid to lock you have a TON of options, if a lock needs to be incorporated then you are down to a handful of latches.

I would suggest looking through McMaster Carr's site at

www.mcmaster.com

and search latches and the 100's of options out there. I would look through the adjustable and draw latches first.

HTH.

Rezarf <><

Willman

You can use two hasps on one side with a lock to keep it down and locked.....

check out Home Depot or McMaster's site......

Another idea......look through all the threads of peoples builds.......Many of different ideas out their!

Good luck!

:)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Austin Hardware:
Locks & Latches

De-Sta-Co Clamps <- Some of these have 'locks' to keep them from popping open, but for your application using something like these I think you're looking at using a tab or two and a hasp lock to restrict operation of the handle. It may be possible that the 'lock' can have a hole drilled in it for a hasp lock.

In particular have a look at these series of draw clamps:
323-U
351/-B
385/-R

Jeepcrz

M416 Lid latch help

I appreciate all the inputs, I think I have decided to go down the path of the multi point slam latch. It will be more work installing, but I think it is cleaner look and will be a better solution down the road.

Thanks again for your thoughts and inputs,
Jeepcraz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles