How often do you combine your batteries?

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
For those of you with dual batteries and the ability to combine them, how many times have you had to combine them?

I don't mean just for charging, I mean how many times has combining your batteries saved your hide? Like for long winch pulls or because your starting battery was dead.

Also, why did you have to combine them?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
A dozen or so I would guess.... half of those for long winching where I needed the extra amps and the others for jumping the main battery, usually because I left something running (lights, fridge, etc.)

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Many more time than I would like to admit... :shakin: its always a good feeling.

I have everything running off the starting battery and have one fully charged battery for emergency starting. This system works well for me.

I have very demanding power needs :wings:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Electrical Mods: Progress Made!

Although I have yet to have to combine the two batteries I finally finished off two wiring projects.

First was adding an under hood cig lighter outlet. I found one at Wal Mart that seems at least fairly water resistant with a spring-loaded lid and a rubber gasket.

It will give me easy access for most accessories when I am outside the truck as well as a nice place to plug in my 55 watt solar panel for recharging.

I also installed two 30 Amp DC breakers to handle my two outlets that I previously installed in the cargo area.

powertocargo003db8.jpg

powertocargo005vb3.jpg

The breakers look like this

teotwaki

Excelsior!
SOCALFJ said:
Jim, shrink tube those connections buddy. You'll thank yourself later! Other than that looks great!!

Not that I am against shrink tube, but which connections (which photo)? If needed I'd have to cut off lugs to do so, but some connections...
powertocargo003db8.jpg

....don't need any further protection as they are behind a plastic panel and going nowhere and nothing can touch them. But, I am open to more on the topic as stranger things have happened.....

I actually want to get rubber boots for the big lugs on the Optima battery. Those wing nuts make me nervous.

Not meaning to make this a thread hijack so any moderator please move it out if needed.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Slip some shrink tube over the exposed metal of those female spade connectors. Leave the tube just a scosh long so that when it shrinks it covers the end of the connector, and then trim with a razor blade just enough for them to slide back onto the male connectors.
That way should they pop loose (something spade connectors can easily do given enough vibration) they won't make contact.

FWIW, I no longer buy the connectors with plastic on them. I buy the bare metal connectors & use adhesive lined shrink tube to bridge from the connector to the wire's insulation.

As to the original Q, I rarely turn either battery off. The Sub is set up with a marine combiner switch in the ground cables, and I only turn off one battery if I am letting the ARB run overnight or longer.
I've been down the battery combiner (diode bridge) road b4 & I've no plans to do that again.
I am considering an ACR at which point specific duties might get assigned to each battery.

RoundOut

Explorer
Hijack on: What brand are these and where did you get them? They would make a nice main fuse/breaker for an auxilliary power fuse block I plan to install in my Tundra's "secret compartment" at the front of the console.
Hijack off.

teotwaki said:
The breakers look like this

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
You can get those and a similar type, only with the mount tab 90* to that one, from any real auto parts store. I know that they are in the NAPA electrical parts book. Can also get them from waytek wire, del city wire, & allied electronics to name a few on-line sources.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
RoundOut said:
Hijack on: What brand are these and where did you get them? They would make a nice main fuse/breaker for an auxilliary power fuse block I plan to install in my Tundra's "secret compartment" at the front of the console.
Hijack off.

Brand is "ShortStop" model N39

Bussman also sells the same thing and they show up on EBay too.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Mlachica said:
For those of you with dual batteries and the ability to combine them, how many times have you had to combine them? ...

Also, why did you have to combine them?
Good question. Once for a self jump start, and the system has been installed for only a year. Funny story, too.

My brother and I were out camping and discussing all the mods he'd like to do, one of which included a dual battery. With all my vast wisdom ( ;) ), I told him, "Screw that, you don't need one. You don't want a winch and all you're going to put on are a couple of lights? Just replace your battery with a deep cycle, install an aux fuse block and be happy."

The campfire died down, we all went to bed. In the morning, my starting battery was dead. Don't know why. But my dual system allows me to combine the two on demand. So I flipped the switch, fired up the truck and hung my head with my hat in hand. "Okay Greg. I guess a dual battery is a smart idea."

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
articulate said:
Good question. Once for a self jump start, and the system has been installed for only a year. Funny story, too.

My brother and I were out camping and discussing all the mods he'd like to do, one of which included a dual battery. With all my vast wisdom ( ;) ), I told him, "Screw that, you don't need one. You don't want a winch and all you're going to put on are a couple of lights? Just replace your battery with a deep cycle, install an aux fuse block and be happy."

The campfire died down, we all went to bed. In the morning, my starting battery was dead. Don't know why. But my dual system allows me to combine the two on demand. So I flipped the switch, fired up the truck and hung my head with my hat in hand. "Okay Greg. I guess a dual battery is a smart idea."

LOL, I was anticipating at least one juicy story out of this thread. Thanks oh wise one...

The reason I ask is I'm installing the perfect switch isolator in the 80 and it doesn't quite allow you to combine the batteries for winching. I shouldn't need it for a jump start because the aux battery is, so to speak, always jump starting the main. Based on the response to this thread, I shall make it so I can.

So any more good stories?

How long is long when you're winching? Is it determined by the performance/sound of the winch during the pull?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Mlachica said:
snip

How long is long when you're winching? Is it determined by the performance/sound of the winch during the pull?
If you're letting the smoke escape, it's been on for too long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne