Level My Burb

Indiana Camper

I have an 04 2500 Suburban with 8.1 and 3.73's. I'd like to get rid of the weenie tires on it and get something a little more capable. I'm thinking possible 285's or maybe slightly larger. Money is tight right now though. Does anybody have any recommendations for a budget leveling kit? Also any idea what size tires I could go with? There is not near as much information out there for a 3/4 ton as there is for a 1/2 ton. It does have the autoride but it's my understanding that it totally different from the autoride on the 1/2 ton....basically does not mean much on the 2500...I think?
Any help is appreciated.

goin camping

Explorer
I'm in the same boat you are. Same set up except mine is an 02.

Really looking forward to hearing some opinions and solutions to the thin tire and how to overcome it problem.

Walker

Texas Wanderer
Have you considered an On-Board Air (OBA) system, Viair has several components for under $300.00. Pending on the system you choose you could also use OBA with air tools as well as airing your tires up after a trip in the dirt. The OBA also works well with load leveling when trailering, just a quick answer...

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Should fit 285s stock, no problem. A friend has 315s on stock 16s on his 05 2500 crew cab on a bit of a torsion bar twist, but they rub a bit on the back of fender, and the valence is trimmed. If you have 17s or plan to add 17s (maybe H2s off craigslist if you are on a budget), a really nice tire size is 285/75R17 which is 34" or so, about an inch taller than 285-75-16 (or 285-70-17)

If money is tight, money is tight. Lots of us are in that boat, Sometimes I dont know weather to buy upgrades for my truck or spend it on gas going somewhere! Anyhow, I personally wouldnt buy into torsion bar keys AKA. leveling kits. I dont think they are worth the money at all, I would tighten up the bars and spend the money on a good wheel alignment at a reputable shop that will properly set camber/caster and toe (since alot of places will adjust toe only and throw it out into the parking lot. Turning up the torsions will also pull the tires in abit so it will help with tire clearance to bumper/fender.

Im not really sure about the auto ride, but I think they are sensors on the rear sway bar end links that dont really do much (as you said). Is it rear coils or leafs on this truck?

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I did keys on front and shock mount relocation to provide additional travel, as the keys decrease travel by the amount of lift. In back I did Firestone bags for load control and leveling, Bilsteins all around, H2 wheels with 285/75-17, and trimmed the front valance ever so slightly. I am hoping for an ARB or equal front bumper next. Oh, and mine is an '00 2500...

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
I did an alignment about a month ago on a bone stock 2wd 03 tahoe (with torsion bars), and it was running 295 75 16 BFG A/Ts

Revco

Adventurer
My little brother has a stock '04 Yukon 2500 4x4. He took the wheels and tires off his '05 2500 Duramax 4x4 and put them on the Yukon with no issues. The tires are 285/75/16 Yokohama Geolandars.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Actually, if there is no re-flash to correct of tire size the ABS will need to be calibrated, shift and lockup points will be changed as well as speedo being wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94