rise of the phablet

spikemd

Explorer
I have a galaxy s3 and at first it seemed big. I have since played on th Note2 and it is a fantastic device. I will most likely be getting one this month. It is definitely larger but the screen is amazing. The s3 will go to my wife.

The only drawback is the 16gb memory is too small. Only 10gb for apps after the bloatware and apps cant go on an sd card. They would uave hit it out of the park if they offered 32 or 64 gb versions stateside.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I have a galaxy s3 and at first it seemed big. I have since played on th Note2 and it is a fantastic device. I will most likely be getting one this month. It is definitely larger but the screen is amazing. The s3 will go to my wife.

The only drawback is the 16gb memory is too small. Only 10gb for apps after the bloatware and apps cant go on an sd card. They would uave hit it out of the park if they offered 32 or 64 gb versions stateside.

The other drawbacks are:

-Very limited amount of cases and protectors versus say an iPhone5

-Very fragile screen which REQUIRES a case/protector

Take a guess as to why I know about the above issues...

khronus79

Adventurer
I've had the Galaxy Note 1 since it first came out, I'm 5'8 and wear size s/m gloves. I've never had a problem using the Note single handed, it fits just fine in my jeans. The cases and accessories are limited but I haven't needed one, my screen still looks brand new. My son can't get enough of the games and my daughter loves watching movies in it. As for me and my wife, we'll never back go to anything smaller.

Falkon

Adventurer
Ive had a Note 2 for a couple of months and it is by far the best device I have ever used. I went from iphone 3gs-Samsung Infuse to the note. I have it in a otterbox defender and it handles better than any 'phone' to me. I have above average hands though.

Its so fast, so intuitive, such a nice screen. I use bluetooth or speaker most of the time, but it's surprisingly easy on the ear too.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
The Note 2 really is impressive. By far the best smart phone I've ever had. It's made my iPad all but obsolete; I find the interface far more user-friendly.

The apps, the camera, the interface with Outlook, it's all really superb.

Samsung has come of age and is a very serious player. Makes you wonder where Apple goes from here? ... Word is they still have the long-rumored Apple TV sets in the works but are awaiting for HEVC to be adopted; while that may make sense on their part, I think it will result in further erosion of their market cap...

spikemd

Explorer
Note2 rocks!

I picked up the note2 a few weeks ago and it is awesome. Very similar to my S3 but with a bigger better screen that really makes it usable like a tablet. I was going to get a small tablet along with my phone but now I have both in one manageable package. The stylus is nice but I just havent used it much. The note taking capability is very cool. Like the S3 the camera and video are remarkably good. Next the an iphone, I just laugh. Two iphone4 screens are about the size of my note2.

My next steps are trying to get a good offline gps app so I can use it on backcountry adventures without data or cell service.

It may jot be for everyone but I can fit it in my pocket without a problem. I have big hands so using it is not an issue. My wife though with much smaller hands has more of an issue. I gave her the s3 and she loves it.

Falkon

Adventurer
SpikeMD,

I have been using BackCountry Navigator on my Note 2 and Galaxy Tablet and I love them now. I had issues with it keeping maps on ky last phone, but that seesm to be resolved now.

I recently paid about $22 for the AccuTerra maps and have been using the AccuTerra single layer and I have been really pleased with the combo. I think BC Navigator is about $15 and it has some free maps, but they are nothing compared to the AccuTerra ones.

Once you have them (or the free maps) you can select an area to download and Bob's yer uncle. You can set the zoom level to adjust for the file size. I bought a 64GB SD card for my note that I put all the maps on.

If you want a good car mount for the Note, check out ibolt.com out of Utah. They were the only ones I could find who said their moount would hold a Note 2 in an Otterbox Defender, and it does it well.

Good luck, enjoy! I could not imagine going back to an iPhone, silly little things! :ylsmoke:

Gaidheal

Observer
2 years ago I got a Dell Streak. It had a 5" screen and I was mocked mercilessly. I seldom use my phone to talk on so a micro-tablet as they were referred to then was *perfect* for me. Everyone laughed until they saw movies & netflix on it. :)

Many of the people who - way back then - mocked me now have Samsung Galaxy S3 or Note 2 units now. The S3 is almost as big; the Note 2 is bigger. Joke on them.

Now - we've upgraded... my wife went for the S3, I got the Note 2. there are NO BETTER phones in existence. Period. The difference between the two comes down to compromise, like all things. I can go through the entire day without ever typing if I chose - voice and S pen writing are so good that even someone like me with horrible hand writing can get by with awesome recognition.

I'm almost at the point where I no longer require a laptop. The maker that comes out with a built-in projector will OWN the market next time round.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
Picked upI really like the concept of the asus phone that docks with a 10" touch screen. I mean most phones have really good feature rich system on a chip it does feel like a waste to be confined to a tiny screen. I currently use a motorola droid bionic i got super cheap and it has a little net book like dock. Its not perfect but I like the low price and the 720 10" screen is great. Android ics and jellybean have a cool ability to run tablet versions of aps.

kraqus

Norcalwood
The projector is coming and I hope soon.
It think is a great idea, imagine showing the pictures you took over the weekend to friends.....projected 70 inches big on a wall !!!

They are small enough and I am surprised nobody has jumped onto it yet, watch the video:
http://singularityhub.com/2010/09/22/7mm-thick-pico-projector-can-produce-a-70-inch-image-video/

Phones are powerful enough now but they are still small to get work done, and they will stay that way.
This will be the winner, and the Future:
http://liliputing.com/2012/06/asus-padfone-monitor-turns-smartphone-into-a-desktop-pc.html

ubuntu.jpg

Benny

Jay H

servicedriven.org
Yes content creation is the hurdle.

Android can be used with a key board and mouse but its not great. The motorola lap dock I have, I would trade for a tablet dock in a second. The keyboard and track pad are a clunky way to use an operating system that is meant for a touch screen. If the screen to my little netbook sized lapdock had multi touch it would have caught on. Its a fairly obscure bit of hardware because using a mouse on a made for touch system is not perfect. It is ok for word processing in a way that a tablet with out a keyboard can never be.

What would be great is if there were a way to switch from android to chrome and back again on the fly. I mean google docs is good and getting better but using it on a desktop browser is still way better than using an android devise with the google drive app.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
The Note 2 works well with a Bluetooth keyboard & mouse.

What would be cool is if someone invented a Bluetooth 11" display with a tripod.

spikemd

Explorer
SpikeMD,

I have been using BackCountry Navigator on my Note 2 and Galaxy Tablet and I love them now. I had issues with it keeping maps on ky last phone, but that seesm to be resolved now.

I recently paid about $22 for the AccuTerra maps and have been using the AccuTerra single layer and I have been really pleased with the combo. I think BC Navigator is about $15 and it has some free maps, but they are nothing compared to the AccuTerra ones.

Once you have them (or the free maps) you can select an area to download and Bob's yer uncle. You can set the zoom level to adjust for the file size. I bought a 64GB SD card for my note that I put all the maps on.

If you want a good car mount for the Note, check out ibolt.com out of Utah. They were the only ones I could find who said their moount would hold a Note 2 in an Otterbox Defender, and it does it well.

Good luck, enjoy! I could not imagine going back to an iPhone, silly little things! :ylsmoke:

Thanks. I am going to download BCN tonight and start to play with it. I am heading to Death Valley for a week on Friday and will test it out. Sounds like the upgraded maps are worth it. I have a 32gb card now.

I gave my s3 to my wife and I love my note2. I agree, the two best phones available by far. I laugh when see an iPhone...

Gaidheal

Observer
For my next trick I am seriously considering rooting my phone (Note 2) so that I can install Ubuntu Linux on it as a dual-boot option.

That will take care of the "is it a computer or a phone" issue.

And should address the use/create content issue. Phone that runs apps or computer that make calls. You chose, each time.

Except for the 'missing' projector, how could that be any better?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz