rise of the phablet

haven

Expedition Leader
A new category of device is coming up. They have characteristics of both phone and tablet, so they are labeled "phablets." Instead of the 4.0 to 4.7 inch screen found in current smart phones, or the 7 inch screen of current tablets, the phablet has a 5 to 6 inch screen.

The attraction of a phablet is to combine the portability of a smartphone with the usability that a larger screen brings. I think the phablet is a natural fit as a portable navigation device, for example.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is the best current example of the phablet. It has a beautiful 5.5 inch 1280x720 screen, a super-speedy processor, LTE 4G cellular data, GPS support, and a battery twice the capacity of most cell phones.

The Note 2 has a body that measures a half inch longer and wider than Samsung's popular Galaxy S III phone which has a 4.7 inch screen. Compared to the new iPhone, the Note 2 is about an inch longer, and 3/4 of an inch wider.

That size increase is not a big deal if you have a large hand. Unlike a 7 inch tablet, the Note 2 still slips into a pocket. And it's certainly not a problem if you tend to use your phone with both hands, tablet style. People with smaller hands may have difficulty using the Note 2 with one hand.

The second feature that distinguishes the Note 2 is its stylus. You can use a finger to interact with the touchscreen, or, in some applications, use the stylus. If you're like me, you find it difficult to press the right button on a small smartphone screen. I often have to enlarge the screen to accurately press the right button. The stylus makes it easier and faster to interact with a complex screen layout without enlarging.

Samsung sells the Note 2 in overseas markets today. The Note 2 will be introduced to North America at the end of October. It will be very interesting to see what price point they (and the cell phone carriers) select.

haven

Expedition Leader
Here are some specs for the Galaxy Note 2

Screen: 5.55 inch Super Amoled, Capacitive multitouch
Screen: 1280x720 pixels, 16:9 aspect ratio
Screen: 265 ppi pixel density
Screen: S-Pen stylus support

Processor: 1.6 GHz Samsung Exynos 4412 quad core (ARM Cortex-A9)
Graphics processor: ARM Mali 400 MP4 quad core
RAM: 2 GB
Storage: 16/32/64 GB flash memory

User interface Samsung TouchWiz

Cellular Radio
2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

Cellular Data GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA 21 MBps
Cellular Data LTE 700 MHz Class 17

Wireless: WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC

Navigation: USA GPS, Russian GLONASS
Navigation: Compass, Barometer

Ports: MicroSD, up to 64 GB
Ports: 3.5mm earphone/mic
Ports: microUSB, HDMI out (via USB)

Camera, rear 8 MP, 1080P video
Camera, rear touch focus, face detection, image stabilization
Camera, rear panorama mode, burst mode
Camera, front 1.9 MP

Battery 3100 mAh, removable
Dimensions 151.1 x 80.5 x 9.4 mm / 5.94 x 3.17 x 0.37 in
Weight 183 g / 6.42 oz

Software included:
HTML 5 web browser
SMS, MMS, Email, IM, RSS
Video player (MP4/DivX/XviD/WMV/H.264/H.263)
Audio player (MP3/WAV/eAAC+/AC3/FLAC)
Document editor (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, PDF)
Facebook client
Image/video editor
Google Maps, Gmail, YouTube, Calendar
Swype keyboard
Voice support for memo, phone dial, issuing commands

Note 2 Features that may not be available in North America
FM radio
TV receiver

LR Max

Local Oaf
Eeeehhhhh, probably not. I doubt it'll fit in any pocket, forcing me to carry a murse. Not particularly looking forward to that.

reece146

Automotive Artist
I've seen a few of these around in the wild. Makes the people using them as phones look like dorks. LOL

haven

Expedition Leader
Looks like AT&T will be the first USA carrier to offer the Galaxy Note 2. An announcement is scheduled for later this month (October).

Samsung offers a split screen option for its Galaxy Note 10.1, its more conventional full size tablet with (you guessed it) a 10.1 inch screen. That feature will be part of the Note 2 as well. The two windows initially split the screen real estate, but the windows can be resized. Any Android app can run in the smaller window.
http://gigaom.com/mobile/galaxy-note-2-multi-windows-software-update/

Two windows on a 5.5 inch screen means you'll need to get your prescription for bifocals updated. I'm not sure how useful this will be, but I'm intrigued.

ThomD

Explorer
Neither fish nor fowl. I admire Samsung's willingness to try every form factor possible to see what this emerging market wants, but I think this is a miss. I have a Tab 7.7 and an Infuse with a 4.5 inch screen. I like looking at the infuse screen, but with a 4.5 screen it is too big to hold one handed. I can't hold it firmly and reach across the screen with my thumb to touch things on screen. At 5-6 inches, you are definitly in the two-hand camp and are not gonig to fit into a lot of pockets. I'm going two handed, the 7inch tablet size is great (in part because it can be held one handed for just vieweing).

kraqus

Norcalwood
This is obviously NOT for everyone....more like a purpose phone.
Being in the IT industry this will be a BLESSING for me.
Finally I can RDP into a server and have somewhat of a screen to work on.
Also I will be able to leave the Laptop at Home on duty weekends.
Can't wait to get my hands on one.

Benny

ldivinag

Adventurer
This is obviously NOT for everyone....more like a purpose phone.
Being in the IT industry this will be a BLESSING for me.
Finally I can RDP into a server and have somewhat of a screen to work on.
Also I will be able to leave the Laptop at Home on duty weekends.
Can't wait to get my hands on one.

+100000000000000

plus it will fit in a jeans pocket and if you need to talk using the phone and NOT look like a dork with a paperback book on your ear... use a BT device or a wired mirophone and earphone.

i like how the s-pen acts like a mouse on certain things on a webpage.

haven

Expedition Leader
Samsung released the source code for the Note 2 OS yesterday. This will permit quick development of alternate versions. I can imagine the Note 2 as a tool in hospital and medical clinic settings, to help take inventory, as a way for servers to take orders in restaurants, and in other customized ways.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Just got a Note 2 and am blown away. This is simply a great device.

I looked into a new iPhone but with my huge hands it just wasn't a good option.

The Note 2 is very easy to type on the screen with fingers and the S pen is like a mouse.

Photo quality is great.

I am just getting spun up on it but so far so great....

haven

Expedition Leader
Samsung uses Lebron James in commercials about the Note 2. In his hands, the device looks tiny! "Official phone of everyone who can palm a basketball!"

haven

Expedition Leader
The Note 2 is officially a hit for Samsung. Sales of the Note 2 have topped 1 million units in the company's home, South Korea. International sales have topped 5 million, and are on schedule to reach 10 million units by April 2013.

Other manufacturers have taken note. At the CES Show next week, at least 7 manufacturers (LG, Sharp, Oppo, HTC, Huawei, ZTE and Sony) are expected to show "phablets" with screens that measure 5 inches or greater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior