Looking to add driving lights - Your likes & dislikes.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I'm at the point that me seeing trumps looks. But I'm going to make up a removable mount for a set.
Sent from my SGH-T899M using Tapatalk

Beamer pilot

Explorer

lugueto

Adventurer
You know, a company here sells a light that is a GE landing light sealed beam on a casing that is pretty similar to KC daylighters made of plastic. These are 100W halogen lights. They're extremely cheap, have an awesome pattern and are really bright.

Beamer pilot

Explorer
You know, a company here sells a light that is a GE landing light sealed beam on a casing that is pretty similar to KC daylighters made of plastic. These are 100W halogen lights. They're extremely cheap, have an awesome pattern and are really bright.

On the "heavies" we run wing landing lights that you can see for miles and turn them on as per standard operating procedures below 10,000 feet until touchdown. Unaffordable !!!
Most lights on small aircraft are no better than what we run on vehicles and often worse. As for GE you can cross match and see that it's the same as tractor spotlights!!!

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Aircraft landing lights are a different breed (I've work corporate aviation for 30+ years)
While they are bright (depending on bulb) if you look in the GE catalog, some only have a 'life' of 25 hours.
They are used for approach only and as soon as the plane has landed they are switched off and taxi lights are switched on.
They also general a crazy amount of heat. On our aircraft (a Falcon 50) if they are left on they will melt/distort the clear fairing in front of them
While they can hold up to the shock of landing (what, all pilots don't make butter smooth landings?) that is one shock (or 2-3) not the continues pounding of off-road driving.
Landing lights are not the way to go.
BTW- most of the 'real good ones' light wise are 24vdc

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Aircraft landing lights are a different breed (I've work corporate aviation for 30+ years)
While they are bright (depending on bulb) if you look in the GE catalog, some only have a 'life' of 25 hours.
They are used for approach only and as soon as the plane has landed they are switched off and taxi lights are switched on.
They also general a crazy amount of heat. On our aircraft (a Falcon 50) if they are left on they will melt/distort the clear fairing in front of them
While they can hold up to the shock of landing (what, all pilots don't make butter smooth landings?) that is one shock (or 2-3) not the continues pounding of off-road driving.
Landing lights are not the way to go.
BTW- most of the 'real good ones' light wise are 24vdc

I concur...except the part about "butter smooth landings" I think I did two of them...in over forty years on the flight deck...Yep, close to packing it in to expedition full time.
Reason I follow this thread - need good lighting.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Back when I was evaluating PAR36 bulbs for flood lights (found some good ones) we also tried some aircraft landing lights. Aside from the very short life the pattern was such a tight spot it was not really useful for vehicle lighting. Bright though.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I know sport compact car used them on a rally car project, melted the front grill wher they had them mounted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior