Extreme 4X4...on Spike...

brittan

Adventurer
I understand this is old news, but I just saw the episode this weekend...and sent the following email.

The environmental movement is clamoring to keep off-road vehicles out of the public recreation areas. Their argument is that off-road enthusiast are irresponsible users of public lands by leaveing trash on the trail, destroy sensitive areas by going off trail, kill tress by winching off them, etc.

This bad perception was re-enforced this weekend (Twin Toy Part 2) when Extreme 4X4 winched off a tree with out a tree strap to get the Toyota out of tight spots. Irresponsible use of public lands will further the demise of the sport and your show. I am requesting an on air apology and a commitment to Tread Lightly ( http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php/home/Home.html), or another like minded organization.

I want to be able to enjoy our public lands now and into the future. My fear is that the "Extreme" arm of the sport will destroy this option for all of us.

Brittan Smith

Last edited:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
The Coconino FS in AZ has already implimented a plan to close nearly 2000 roads and spurs. Nationally the Forest Service is proposing to impliment closing many more roads and fine anyone who continues to drive on any road not marked with a FS number.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Here is Ian's reply on the matter from another forum.

Hey Guys,

I will pop in and try to answer most of the questions/concerns with one post if I miss any I am sorry.

1) First off, great board, never new it was here until this, but I hope to drop by and talk tech a little more.

2) I totally agree and will take full responsibility for the clip being shown on national TV. I am only one link in the chain, but I take my job a writer/technical producer very seriously. All I can say is that when I "posted" the show I missed it.

3) Removing the clip before a re-air, is one of those things that honestly is harder than you think. The "masters" are at Spike TV not here at RTM. I do not understand all the TV junk as to why making changes after a show is posted is so hard....but I will say that it is next to impossible.

4) I completely understand everyones point about whether or not it should have been done, and the "issues" around showing it that can arrise inside both our wheeling community as well as outside groups trying to close our trails. I am working with a few groups to find ways to promote their causes on the show....honestly there are so many, and we have had a few "interesting" problems with groups that turned out to not be who they said they were so we are very careful (not fourwheeling groups a different cause all together)

5) Honestly the best way to turn this negative into a possitive will be to shoot a full segment on proper winching and trail issues. By removing it from the show it is taint amount to ignoring it. I am not above hangin my self out to 9 million households and saying that I honestly "f*cked up" it was a long day on the trail, we had a problem and just wanted to keep going......... The proper winching/Hi-Lift show will are sometime early 2008. I begin shooting those shows in two weeks.....this season has been put to bed today with the payoff on a full width CJ.

6) I can tell that alot of you feel strongly about these issues and that is good, if I personally can do anything to hell your cause, E.G., appear at an event, or fundraiser with a project vehicle, make a donation, please feel free to PM me here or over on Pirate. I will do what I can.

Thanks again for watching the show and I hope you guys enjoy it each week I can tell you I enjoy making it.

Ian

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
That is the 4th time that has aired and I was the first one to give Ian grief about it. I think he hates me now...the giving him hell about his speech impediment ("bout" I was Bout to repair) might have something do with it. :oops:

He came back with another post asking what types of stories and products and I told him "Tree savers".

Really he is a good guy and overall a good spokesman for our sport but I really wish they would edit that off.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Grim Reaper said:
Really he is a good guy and overall a good spokesman for our sport but I really wish they would edit that off.

The explaination about why they don't edit is plausable. With that said, I'm glad they gave them hell about it.

7wt

Expedition Leader
I saw that episode a while back and the lack of tree saver bugged me. Then I saw a thread about it being no big deal because it was on private land which bugged me more. At least Jesse didn't do it, that would taint my love for that tatoo cladded cutie forever.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
That stuff is one of the reasons I never watch those shows. Hopefully by catching a load of crap from the off road community he will think a little harder about the environmental issues as he films future shows. He can talk all he wants (about helping groups keep trails open, etc), but until his actions back up his words, then it is all just a bunch of talk. We don't need talk, we need action. I hope the future "proper winching" episode pans out...complete with an apology and explaination as to why his actions were unacceptable.

He is human....and subject to making mistakes. But as a human who makes mistakes, he needs to step up and admit the mistake (to the original audience), and take the opportunity to educate his viewers to the issues surrounding the mistake.

JPFreek1

Explorer
brittan said:
I understand this is old news, but I just saw the episode this weekend...and sent the following email.

The environmental movement is clamoring to keep off-road vehicles out of the public recreation areas. Their argument is that off-road enthusiast are irresponsible users of public lands by leaveing trash on the trail, destroy sensitive areas by going off trail, kill tress by winching off them, etc.

This bad perception was re-enforced this weekend (Twin Toy Part 2) when Extreme 4X4 winched off a tree with out a tree strap to get the Toyota out of tight spots. Irresponsible use of public lands will further the demise of the sport and your show. I am requesting an on air apology and a commitment to Tread Lightly ( http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php/home/Home.html), or another like minded organization.

I want to be able to enjoy our public lands now and into the future. My fear is that the "Extreme" arm of the sport will destroy this option for all of us.

Brittan Smith

The timing of this is VERY ironic because I saw that episode and several weekends before, I was out on the trails and saw a huge number of ORV enthusiasts using the land without regard to responsible use. This very thing is the subject of my editorial in JPFreek Adventure Magazine's new issue which will be released tomorrow morning, 10/10.

Thanks for posting this up, Brittan. Change needs to happen now before it's too late.

-Frank

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
good to hear it.. A lot of us are environmentalists too who mostly believe in keeping land open to 4WD, and it always makes the arguement harder...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne