A TENT MATERIAL PVC

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Hmmm, have you thought about one of the self-contained Alaskan truck bed campers or similar designs? They are very nice from what I have seen and would completely free up the trailer. Which engine do you have in your truck?

Just a quick note. When I said throw in the freezer for a few days and see if it was still pliable. I meant while frozen. If it was covering the pool at -10 there's a good chance it wasn't rolled back up then ;) Even if it was brittle in the cold as long as it doesn't break once it warms back up its normally fine. My Uncle used a pool cover to go ontop of a trailer he had, that was the year the ice storms hot the south pretty good, the cover cracked all over and when it thawed it got tons of water in the trailer. We had put a couple of table saws in there to protect them from the elements on a jobsite.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Black ZJ, I like the Alaskan, I have the small V-8 and I have had no problem hauling a 5,000 lb boat on a trailer.

Right now I have a tanoue (sp?) cover on my bed, fiberglass and it lifts from the rear. I could use it by making attachments along the edges under the lip and make some simple sides and back that would provide a decent sleeping platform. Great for weekends or a week out, not so much for any long haul.

POD8 I believe had a build from foam and fiberglass that was lifted like the Alaskan, a very nice build. Someting along those lines would be great, much lughter than the Alaskan I'm sure. There is also the issue of any build.....I enjoy such projects, designing and building. I did a custom van, out of materials I got from a limo manufacture, used 1X2s no 2X4s, masonite, foam rubber and covered it in material, I used PVC gutters cut down for valances and a custom ceiling console, covered with a fake leather stuff, that ran the full length. I went to a custom van shop to get a table and the owner looked inside to see what would fit best, ask where I got the van and told him I did it, he offered me a job on the spot.....LOL. It's not just about saving a ton of money but also about the build itself.

HillbillyAL, I know what you're talking about. We did adjust the pool cover to get snow off, and break the ice just along the sides, this cover was very stiff but it did not crack or break. There is a weave of material in this cover, it's not pure PVC, but have no idea what the weave is. I need to track down the manufacture and ask, but really, even knowing probably won't keep me from using it. Taking a sample to test is a very good idea, I'll do that when I have a plan and know where my cuts will be so that I don't slice off a piece in the wrong spot. I do wish it was tan and not blue, but it is what it is.

Black ZJ, I think you're right too about a hard sided shelter, I think that has really been in my mind from the start and incorporating this giant tarp as a tent over a build, being more of the outter shell or the cover from one area to another. I don't see this as a wall tent standing alone.

What if you had something like two Alaskan pods, one on a trailer and one on a truck that could be connected and cover the whole thing, top and sides with hard walls at the ends? I'm thinking fold out or panels set in to make the transition between the two pods.

I think 1" foam board (blueboard) with 1x2 frames and 1/8" ply skins would be light enough and when topped with a thick tent cover would provide sufficient insulation for heat and air. Paint the ply with a marine epoxy paint, I don't see the need to fiberglass, wood boats properly sealed and painted will out last me.

Hopefully, there will be enough material left over for some storage bags, like those shoe bags that hang up, a cover for the genset, etc.

gsanders

Observer
Okay so here is some input for you.

One, I have heard that raft companies have bought surplus PVC coated vinyl from the military that was supposed to be used for wall tents but was excess...so it got used to make whitewater rafts. So yes, heavy duty PVC can be good as a tent material. However, most of what I have seen applies to wall tent styles (military tents, wedding tents, etc). These usually require some sort of pole support and do not have a floor and they don't really seal all that well. Another use I have seen for PVC coated fabric is for the walls in yurts. Very good stuff and lasts throughout the winter on a wood frame (the PVC is just the skin), but the yurts are heated with a wood stove and some have solid foam board insulation inside and these yurts usually take a day to setup and sit in place for several months at least. I guess I am still a bit lost on your intentions. You have multiple vehicles and a trailer and you want to make a tent shelter to put on the truck or the trailer? Or, do you want the tent to span from the truck to the trailer as well?

Questions

Do you need walls? If I were you and wanted a simple shelter, I would turn the PVC material into something like this: http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2773&pdeptid=2122. Easy to setup, gives a nice awning like shelter, and you could string it up over the bed of the truck and sleep in the truck. If you need walls, I would try to construct a wall tent style like this: http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/reenactm...e=googlebase&gclid=CLnCxrKG97ICFWWCQgodrFIAYQ. I think that will get pretty complicated pretty quickly although with some poles, rope tie offs, and some velcro I think you could make a solid wall tent.

Have much fabric do you have and what is your budget? In all honesty, I think that anything outside of a simple awning or shelter and the cost you will spend to make something will be more than just buying a good wall tent and small heater, or for that matter a good used cabover camper to put on your pickup. Hell, there is a nice little pop-up cabover for sale in my neighborhood right now for only $2400. I would look around for something like that.

I would look for a small cabover camper for the truck or build some sort of folding tent shelter for it. Maybe build your own canvas back truck canopy like this: http://www.can-back.com/. Then, modify the trailer to haul the motorcycle on one side and build a mount for the canoe on the other side and pack stuff under the canoe. Make some shelves, bins, etc or buy a rafting dry box for kitchen/camp use (http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=3071&pdeptid=1860). Take along a good rool up or collapsible table to work off of and maybe build a flip up table/counter off of the side of the trailer. Then, you can cover the trailer with an awning type setup and cook under it and then sleep in the back of the truck. Buy a small folding step setup to get in and out of the truck easily and put in a sleeping deck with more storage underneath. You could use your fabric for the canvas back truck canopy and for the awning and it would be really mobil and you could setup different pieces and parts as needed.

Okay, just some thoughts for you. Good luck with the project and I hope my suggestions have been helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94