Re-tread tires

sacto_patrol

Adventurer
On my last XJ, I ran the 285/75/16 muds on cragar soft 8's. The tires were on Bridgestone Dueller bodies all 5 were matched and balanced great. This vehicle saw daily driving duites and trail duites. The tires are soft and did well on the rocks. I only got 20K miles out of them though. Otherwise great tires.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
The thread that just wont die:)
I have had Hi Tech retreads on my D130 for about 2 1/2 years. They have thousands of highway and hard off road miles on them. Wear is hardly noticeable if at all so far. I tore a pretty good hole in the sidewall of one and replaced it but that has happened to me with other tires so you cant blame it of the fact that they are retreads. I am used to BFG AT's and the Hi Tech OTR's that I have grip the rock better. Probably a stickier rubber compound. If I could do it all over again I would have requested what carcass they used. I have 4 Big O carcases and my buddy had his done on a Michelin heavy duty tire carcass. Still I cant complain because they have and continue to hold up very well. I know there are purists out there who will poo poo the idea but for the person on a budget this has been one of the best bang for the buck purchases I have ever made.

Last edited:

dnellans

Adventurer
I'm in the market for a set of 255/85/16's and after seeing this thread and doing some reading would definitely "try" a set just to report how they do.... unfortunately this doesn't seem to be a size they currently offer, does anyone know if they just happen to be out of stock right now or if they never carry this size? i could make due with 265/75/16's but prefer to stick with the size i'm running now....

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I would be willing to try a set as well, particularly in 255/85. But I don't think they are likely to ever offer this size, just not popular enough (even though it should be more popular than the wider 285/75).

But even in 235/85 I have considered a set just to try them. I don't need any inexpensive mud tires as I have enough quality/new mud-terrians, but a set of their all-seasons for my old truck might be interesting. The thing is, by the time I pay shipping and have my local shop mount them, I can buy a set of inexpensive 235/85 all-seasons locally ($93.17 each) for a few dollars less than Hi-Tech retreads.

I think the mud tires make the most sense for a tire one is going to abuse off-highway

dnellans said:
I'm in the market for a set of 255/85/16's and after seeing this thread and doing some reading would definitely "try" a set just to report how they do.... unfortunately this doesn't seem to be a size they currently offer, does anyone know if they just happen to be out of stock right now or if they never carry this size? i could make due with 265/75/16's but prefer to stick with the size i'm running now....

Mobryan

Adventurer
Hate to bring up the Zombie one more time, but:

I have a pair of Hi-tec 235/85/16E M/T's, very impressed so far, minimal wear over 5K miles, on a rig rather infamous for killing tires.

Only negative experiance was one tire lasted 15 miles before a palm sized piece of tread flew off :eek: I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the customer service, though. "You say WHAT happened??? Never heard of that, we'll send a new tire on the next truck, please return the carcass so we find out what happened." New tire within 24 hours, and not another problem since.

Matt

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
You have a pair of them or a set of 4?

Mobryan said:
Hate to bring up the Zombie one more time, but:

I have a pair of Hi-tec 235/85/16E M/T's, very impressed so far, minimal wear over 5K miles, on a rig rather infamous for killing tires.

Only negative experiance was one tire lasted 15 miles before a palm sized piece of tread flew off :eek: I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the customer service, though. "You say WHAT happened??? Never heard of that, we'll send a new tire on the next truck, please return the carcass so we find out what happened." New tire within 24 hours, and not another problem since.

Matt

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Just took some pix of my Hi-Tec's... I only have maybe 100mi of street use on them and I really like 'em... Not as annoyingly loud as my buddy's muds, and they feel and look very professional. Everybody is amazed they're retreads. Too bad the vintage mags are a bit porous - front left leaks a little through the wheel.

IMG_1402.JPG

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Very interesting. I had some retreads back in the old days (early 80's) when retreads were just cheap tires - you bought them cheap and didn't complain if they failed on you 'cause you get what you pay for.

I've wondered if the retread business might improve with all the new tech available. So first big question: Where do you find retread tires? Are they pretty much only sold at places that specialize in big-rig tires?

And Mobryan:

73 IH Travelall 345/5sp/open/locked, some doodads

Dude! That's totally cool! Do you have pictures? My first two vehicles were IHC Travelalls: A 1957 (first year of the 4x4) and a 1968. My '68 had a similar drivetrain as yours: 345 and a 4 speed. No smog crap in 68 either. Strong as a horse and uglier than original sin! :yikes: That thing was a tank! Only serious drawback: No power steering (although it did have the tiny power-steering-sized wheel.) As you can imagine, it wasn't fun to try and parallell park that thing.

Unfortunately, being young and stupid, I traded it in for something that looked better (a '71 Blazer) but that was a total POS. Shoulda kept it, dang it! Twin gas tanks, trailer brake, and even a cheapie Kraco AM/FM/Cassette - I felt like the coolest 20 year old on the block back in 1982!

I've often thought it would be cool to find an old 'Binder and rebuild it. Those were some real, By-God trucks! :clapsmile

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
A good friend ran the Green Diamond snow tire retreads for years. He absolutely loved them and they took a beating.. He also said they were phenominal snow tires as well, for what its worth. I would buy a set personally..

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have a vague recollection that radial tires can't be retreaded. It this still true? I'm pretty sure all my retreaded tires were bias-ply not radials.

stomperxj

Explorer
Martinjmpr said:
I have a vague recollection that radial tires can't be retreaded. It this still true? I'm pretty sure all my retreaded tires were bias-ply not radials.

AFAIK all the High Tec Retreads are radials. All 3 sets of mine were BFG A/T casings... they have been retreading radials for many many years...

Mobryan

Adventurer
Redline said:
You have a pair of them or a set of 4?

Set of 4, excuse me. (I had a pair of beers at the time :p)

Martin, no pics, :( Need to take some after I finish the build up :Mechanic:

I love it to death, it's my 6th Binder, so maybe I'm biased, but when you take your 4000mile, minimal highway honeymoon in a stock vehicle almost as old as the two of you put together, and come out with a flat tire, a leaky vacuum line (fixed with bubblegum), and no other repairs, it does say something for the build quality of the truck :D :D :D

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online