Re-tread tires

crawldit

Adventurer
Thanks for the responses. It didn't sound right at all.

So the tires are on now. I had to go back to work last night, so my wife snuck over to my office and stole my truck. She had talked to Big-O tires and the guy loves Treadwrights, and told her to bring the truck right over. He mounted and balanced them without any problems and raved about how great Treadwrights are. Only issue is that they rub a little, but I'll trim the lower valence today and solve that issue.

peneumbra

Explorer
After I'd had my Treadwrights on for about 2 months, I called and told them they weren't LOUD enough, and could they please send me a CD of mud & snow tires whining.

They sent me a free coffee cup...

Thanks for the responses. It didn't sound right at all.

So the tires are on now. I had to go back to work last night, so my wife snuck over to my office and stole my truck. She had talked to Big-O tires and the guy loves Treadwrights, and told her to bring the truck right over. He mounted and balanced them without any problems and raved about how great Treadwrights are. Only issue is that they rub a little, but I'll trim the lower valence today and solve that issue.

Which tires did you get? I'm about to move to Loveland (I'm typing this from my hotel room here) and am needing new tires for my truck. I want the 315/70R17 Guard dogs, but I'm not too sure about their snow and ice handling capabilities versus the Warden A/T (if it handles anything like the BFG AT/KO its a clone of.)

crawldit

Adventurer
I bought the Warden A/T's. We haven't had much snow, so I can't speak for that yet. But the tread pattern is identical to the BFG AT/KO, and they have a lot of siping, so I am hopeful that they will perform similarly. From what I have read, they do very well.

I bought the Warden A/T's. We haven't had much snow, so I can't speak for that yet. But the tread pattern is identical to the BFG AT/KO, and they have a lot of siping, so I am hopeful that they will perform similarly. From what I have read, they do very well.

Being from California, the past 2 days were quite snowy for me.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The BFG AT clone (warden), will be far better in snow (on road) than the Goodyear MT clone (guard dog). The 'dogs might be better offroad in deep snow.

peneumbra

Explorer
We got about a foot of snow here in Flagstaff, and I took my truck with Treadwrights (Guard-Dog 245/70/19.5s) out to see how they'd do.

They do very well - the deeper the snow, the better they seem to bite...

Jcrayton99

Observer
I will say, we have had a few dustings-3" of snow, and I am not impressed with their handling in wet slippery crap. But dry or mud or rock and id dare say snow with any depth to it they work great.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I'm still running my 245/75/16 bfg at clones. load E

2.5 years now. not a single issue. 50K miles and only down 50%

made it through Moab's: Golden Spike, Gold Bar, and Poison Spider.

Countless off road excursions in Montana, Wyoming, and a few trips through Utah.

552344_10151133816850028_1185169325_n.jpg

gt6star

Observer
I've been running TreadWrites Maddogs on my 2012 JKU for 15,000 miles now. I used (and abused) them on a 5000 trip from Tucson up to Washington and Oregon with mostly off road desert driving in between including airing down to 16 PSI in the heat of summer. The only hickup I had was a rear tire failure while driving aired down to 1 bar on a graded gravel road, not paying attention I was travelling at 55 mph when the tire failed at the tread. More my fault then the tires. I was heavilly loaded for a 2 week trip. Other then that the tires are a little noisy on pavement. They have good traction and wear time. The $150 price tag for a 315/75/16 can't be beat. I ordered my set last spring and recieved them (5 tires) in 3 weeks. I also ordered 1 replacement that arived in 2 days. They all came on BFG AT carcasses but you can ask for whatever carcess you prefere.

jnorton1

I ran my first set of treadwrights on my JKU for 40k miles before I sold the 285's and upgraded the 315. The tires were great. I drove it to Phoenix pulling a trailer for 1600 miles and again 1000 miles to Iowa and back, wheeled the hell out of it as well. I never had chunking or separation issues whatsoever. I wont buy another brand again unless treadwright doesn't offer the size I need.

Last edited:

Stroverlander

Adventurer
I've had Treadwright Warden A/T (BFG T/A KO carcass) 245/75-16 E load with 8 oz Off-Road Dynabeads for almost 10 months now on my van. Minimal wear, good grip in all conditions and not noisy at all. I researched these for quite awhile before making the decision and even held off on selling my 235/75-16 Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S that were mounted on other wheels for a bit to be sure I was going to be satisfied with the Treadwrights. All in all, I'm happy with the setup, the environmental aspect (as small as that may be) and especially at the price.

As an aside, I also installed an Orange Electronic P409S TPMS at the same time for peace of mind, nice being able to keep on pressures and temperatures. Only thing I don't like about it the aluminum valve stems could be a weakness as they stick out a bit too much for my liking (potential off-road damage) and no ability to run 5th sensor on spare wheel/tire which would be nice for a five tire rotation.

WestEndNOLA5.jpg

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Fyi... according to treadwright they will no longer be able to ensure a certain ply sidewall with their new bead to bead retreads. You will no longer know if your carcasses match once they skim coat the sidewalls.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
It's not a ply or load rating issue as that will be specified, it's brand/carcass that can no longer be specified. While I like the idea of a bead to bead remold and I'm sure it's a great way for them to make more efficient use of their carcass selection, I prefer to have matched brand/model carcass so the uncertainty of different types/brands is probably a deal breaker going forward.

TW is proud of our brand and its promise of safety, performance and unbeatable value and we are excited to be able to now display it on our tires where it belongs. We are looking forward to increasing the portfolio of TreadWright branded tire sizes and tread designs as quickly as we can! The reason for going to a premium bead-to-bead remold is 3 fold. One, after buffing the casing sidewall, this allows us to apply a new branded veneer that is much more resistant to ozone and weather cracking. Two, since we only use premium brand casing (like Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone, etc.) and not lower tier casings, you can count on only the highest quality, matched ply rated, casings available. Third, since all casing must fit within 1/8” to the mold measurements, each tire offered in a particular size is precisely matched for load, ply, and dimensions.

In an effort to more efficiently fill orders, and reduce order fulfillment time in the face of overwhelming demand, TreadWright can no longer accept requests for specific models of tires when taking orders. For the time being, on some sizes, we will continue to work to fill requests for specific brands of casing. (For example, you may by able to request a BF Goodrich casing, however, you will no longer be able request a specific model such as AT KO, or KM2, or Rugged Trial. We will send the first four matching BF Goodrich casings, of the same model, that are in stock.)

Also, please note that if you order less than 4 tires at a time, we cannot guarantee matching model casings with your future orders.

We appreciate your understanding and we will continue to strive to improve the efficiency of our operation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles