Project MULE - Expedition build on a 1991 1500 4x4 Suburban

Thanks for detailing your build and letting us know what kind of results you are getting out of the work you are doing. I am looking for a Suburban for our Summer outings and have a few questions:

1. How hard is it to do the TBI upgrade and what is the cost you spent on parts?

2. How hard would it be to convert a tailgate style Suburban to barn doors (if it has been done)?

I look forward to reading more.

Kevin

Motor16

Nice truck! Had an 83 3/4 ton in high school, loved it!
Have you considered swapping the axles out for 3/4 or 1 ton running gear instead of trying to strengthen the 10 bolts? A used 14 bolt rear & prolly a 12 bolt front would be in a better gear ratio & freshened up, would be money ahead IMO. A D60 would be awesome but $$$! Might save some teeth gnashing and hair pulling on a no name trail some day ;-)

PMA4x4

Adventurer
You can always find a steel doner from a ''72 to ''79 I believe Just pull it clean it and stick in yours. Its astronger unit than that stock plastic one . I did it on mine and it worked great until the day I sold it. M2C

I have a 10 metal tabs coming in this week. Will use one and sell the rest.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Thanks for detailing your build and letting us know what kind of results you are getting out of the work you are doing. I am looking for a Suburban for our Summer outings and have a few questions:

1. How hard is it to do the TBI upgrade and what is the cost you spent on parts?

2. How hard would it be to convert a tailgate style Suburban to barn doors (if it has been done)?

I look forward to reading more.

Kevin

1) If you have a little bit above basic mechanics skill you can do the TBI swap. Its not hard, if need be just have a manaul with you and read the new instruction carefully.

2) with enough money anything is possible. I have never heard of a tailgate to barn door swap or vise versa. Not even sure if the back body lines around the seal are will match up.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Nice truck! Had an 83 3/4 ton in high school, loved it!
Have you considered swapping the axles out for 3/4 or 1 ton running gear instead of trying to strengthen the 10 bolts? A used 14 bolt rear & prolly a 12 bolt front would be in a better gear ratio & freshened up, would be money ahead IMO. A D60 would be awesome but $$$! Might save some teeth gnashing and hair pulling on a no name trail some day ;-)

Gears have not happened yet. I am always on the look out for a 14bolt rear and if I find a deal good enough I will swap both out. But this build is worse case scenario using the exsiting axles.

I am more worried about weight capacity on the tubes and shafts then I am binding it up on a rock.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
I love my 91. Same color interior, but midnight blue exterior for mine. I did full springs and a 14 bolt and 44 to get the lowering gearing. Mine is taller, but it was built for a different purpose. Looking forward to watching your build.

PMA4x4

Adventurer

Sorry forgot your other question.

Kevin, the whole TBI upgrade with air filter will set you back around $600 But these items offer proven lower end power and better MPG. One guy over on the CK5 forum has been testing these parts for almost 3 years one part at a time and combined trying to see whats snake oil and what really works. The items I chose have all gained mpg or power. I did some similar mods to my Jeep Cherokee and noticed bottom end and MPG gains.

All your doing is letting an "airpump" breath better.

These things come off the line with a Fuel pis range of 9-14. Gm said good enough its within spec. The adjustable fuel pressure regulator will allow me to up it to the proper 13 to 13.5lbs. The "powerplate" is a TBI spacer with bored holes to match the TBI bored holes and are blended together so that one side can scavenge from the other if/when needed other wise one side of the motor starves out.

Also in the pile-O-parts is rebuilt matched fuel injectors. rebuilt is obvious but matched is another thing. it will allow for more consistent burn again not starving one side or the other. a cheap trick i learned was to take a timing light and aim it at the fuel injectors. I noticed my drivers side FI was more of a drip then a spray. I am still waiting on the Hypertech Powercharger aka the "Salad bowel" you basically cut out the center section of your stock air cleaner and install this allowing the air to curve more graciously down to the TBI instead of it having to do an abrupt 90* down turn. The skeleton looking black piece of plastic is a Fuel injector pod spacer. It raises the injectors a 1/4" to help atomize better.

Hope this helps.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
More things from this weekend.

Battery upgrade and clean wiring.

Installed a Marine Deep cycle AGM battery which is made by Odyssey Batteries. Used military battery clamps and re did new battery cable ends with waterproof shrink tubing.

Before
batu-01.jpg

batu-02.jpg

after
batu-03.jpg

batu-04.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles