Grandpa Builds A 2000 Montero

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Have you noticed any difference in handling having that weight up top? How much does the tent weigh any way?

Have you noticed any difference in handling having that weight up top? How much does the tent weigh any way?

Correct me if I'm wrong Grandpa, but it weighs in around 150lbs? Euro, my load for my recent trip is over 150lbs. 60lbs of fuel, 65lbs tent, and the cargo box had all of our sleeping bags, clothes, etc, at 50-80lbs all in. So, my roof load for the trip was upwards of 175lbs.... NOT including the actual roof rack! I could certainly feel it lean but it wasn't unbearable. I don't know how I'd like it if I didn't have the sway bars attached. Also, the C rated tires are noticeable squishy.

Sorry to cut in, but pertinent info.

grandpa

I'd love to see the tent in the closed position if you get the chance. I'm also interested to hear your thoughts on your reasoning for positioning it the way you did, to the side, as opposed to covering the rear door (90* to rear from shown) or opening to the drivers side (180* from shown) to avoid walking around the rear door to access the tent.

I don't have a picture with the tent closed. I'll get one when I have it mounted again. About the positioning, I couldn't make up my mind about opening to the side or back, so I built a sliding and rotating mount that allows me to turn the tent either way.

Here it is to the back. The ladder had to be held out some to clear the rear door if opened all the way.

Correct me if I'm wrong Grandpa, but it weighs in around 150lbs? Euro, my load for my recent trip is over 150lbs. 60lbs of fuel, 65lbs tent, and the cargo box had all of our sleeping bags, clothes, etc, at 50-80lbs all in. So, my roof load for the trip was upwards of 175lbs.... NOT including the actual roof rack! I could certainly feel it lean but it wasn't unbearable. I don't know how I'd like it if I didn't have the sway bars attached. Also, the C rated tires are noticeable squishy.

Sorry to cut in, but pertinent info.

CVT says the tent weighs 125 lbs. The Front Runner rack is aluminum and weights about 40 lbs. I drove around town and on the freeway without any problems. I noticed a little wind noise above 65 mph. I don't think the weight will be a problem except on extreme off camber situations.

jlocster

Explorer
Hey grandpa...the rig is looking great and that tent mount is ingenious. I also see you installed a Gen 3 snorkel. Is it from eBay? How did the install go for ya? I'm thinking of doing the same.

grandpa

Hey grandpa...the rig is looking great and that tent mount is ingenious. I also see you installed a Gen 3 snorkel. Is it from eBay? How did the install go for ya? I'm thinking of doing the same.

The snorkel is for a Gen-3 and was purchased on Ebay. The install was very involved since there were no instructions and all the parts had to be modified. I had to remove the headlight washer reservoir and trim the inter fender support. The intake tube that runs through the fender was cut to length and connected with a rubber sleeve. I modified the factory air horn with a rubber connector to seal the connection to the air filter box. I was able to keep the factory power antenna. The shape of the exterior snorkel doesn't match the fender very well and I still need to fill the gap. Here are a couple of pictures with the fender off.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yeah, Grasscat did the same setup (an ARB for the Gen III montero into his old 98) but he bought the snorkel from 4 Wheel Parts at their annual show in San Mateo CA.

Like what you're experiencing, it wasn't a simple bolt-on install nor did it fit the gen 2.5's contours exactly. Send him a message to ask about it if he doesn't see this and respond.

It gave it's life...how can I repay the debt?

Grandpa,

I have misty eyes looking over your build. My Mont. was struck hard enough to total it with my whole family in it. My two kids don't even have a bruise from the 45+ mph T-bone that shook our world. My family has been through just about everything with our friend. California Redwoods, cross-country road-trips 3 times, Arizona ATV trails, Missouri's Mark Twain Natl. Forest, Oregon beaches, Gulf shores Alabama, etc. We've slept in it, cooked food on the engine, EVERYTHING!

How in the world can I keep her in the family? I feel like the insurance co. is going to steal her after their motorist tore her up. If anyone has any ideas, please, let me know. We are going to get another, but I don't think I can let go of the Mont. and keep the memories. Someone mentioned salvage titles, but I don't know...the ins. co. has to sign off on that. Please help.

Charlie...and the Mont.

grandpa

It's great to hear that your family survived a terrible accident. It sounds like the Montero did its job well in protecting and serving your needs. You can't replace family, but vehicles are just parts and pieces that are replaceable. Maybe it's time to find that next memory maker. They can't take away the memories, so make some new ones.

Good luck with your search for your next vehicle. Love your family every day!

Grandpa

Souper

Observer
Very similar to mine that I have just picked up!! In mn now, but from SoCal
reme2y3u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

grandpa

Thread resurrection....

Beautiful build. Well thought and extremely tasteful.

How is the Montero faring?

Thanks for the comment.
The Montero is reliable and has never let me down. It is no longer my daily driver and sits quietly awaiting my needs. I sold the roof top tent and the roof rack since I wanted to go a different way.

cjgolfer7

Observer
I love this thread. I just drove from western north carolina to Raleigh to purchase a 99 with the winter package and 145k. I love it. What roof rack was that you were running? Id love that same set up on mine.

grandpa

The roof rack was a Front Runner. It is a very high quality rack. Good luck with your new purchase. Thanks for the comments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior