1986 6.2 Blazer

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I bought a 1986 K-5 Blazer. It is the Silverado package with the 6.2 deisel. It has a mere 185,000 miles on the clock give or take a few. I know the owner, and he is quite meticulous and the vehicle is in great shape considering its age and mileage. The seats have always been covered and look great, the carpet is clean the dash unfortunatley is cracked in a few places, but a dash mat will fix that. He put a new head liner in it before he parked it and it has new 31x10.5 mud tires of some creation. Over all not bad for what I paid. He only asked one dollar. He hadn't started it in over six months, and it fired right up. I took it out and was rather impressed with how well the engine pulled considering it's the old 6.2. I am very used to this type of vehicle and engine, I drove an '82 6.2 Jimmy back in high school. I am not really going to do any kind of a build, more like a mild resto. I need to make it so I can actually see the dash at night. All of the windows are stuck or slow due to being all dried out. We rolled down the rear window rolled it up once, and then the next time nothing so I have to get it looked at. If anyone knows what I might check to get the rear window going again please feel freee to let me know. Also, I read the other day that there might be an LED light kit for the gauge clusger, if any of you have a link please share. I took one picture tonight to show how it looks, the paint is gone off the hood and the roof is quite faded however it's pretty solid.

Attachments

• The Blaze.jpg
    The Blaze.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

FellowTraveler

Explorer
I had the same Blazer for many years excellent in every-way. The old 6.2 would like some additional lube in the fuel system as the low sulfur fuel can cause excessive pump and injector wear I use 2 stroke at 1oz to 1gal and have not needed to worry about the wear. 2 stroke has almost the same burn rate of diesel and there are no known problems using it over so-called cetane boosters.

Great find and a keeper too!

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Is there any kind of switch associated with the tailgate that keeps the window from rolling up when the tailgate is open? Kind of like a dome light switch on a door. The switch on the dash that operates the window has the same result as the key. It can roll the window down, but nothing happens when I try to roll it up.

bfdiesel

Explorer
Yes there should be a switch preventing it form being rolled up while the gate is down. I just wired past the one on my burb as it had become intermittent.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I have the back window working, (bypassed the safety switch). However, it struggles at about the half way point. It sounds like the cable is slipping. Possibly a rounded end not holding tight enough. Where can a I get a new one that won't break the bank?

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Here are a few pictures I took of it.

Attachments

• The Blaze-mess 007.jpg
    The Blaze-mess 007.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 6
  • The Blaze-mess 001.jpg
    The Blaze-mess 001.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 9
  • The Blaze-mess 002.jpg
    The Blaze-mess 002.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 6
  • The Blaze-mess 003.jpg
    The Blaze-mess 003.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 6
  • The Blaze-mess 004.jpg
    The Blaze-mess 004.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 7
  • The Blaze-mess 005.jpg
    The Blaze-mess 005.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 6
  • The Blaze-mess 006.jpg
    The Blaze-mess 006.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 6

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Just got it back from the shop. Tank was rusted through, needed a new wiper motor, power steereing line was leaking, rear window was stuck in the down position, and the left side wheel bearing and ball joints were shot. Then I took it and filled it up. $109 for a tank of diesel ouch! I will be careful how much this thing gets driven.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94