Budget classic FWC that I want so badly. Helpful opinions please?

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Well Ive been wanting a FWC for the back of my 99 GMC shortbed project (see here):

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/84491-NBS-GMC-rebuild-repair-alteration-project-thread

And I happened to stumble upon this one on craigslist:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/rvs/3280200369.html

To shorten a long story, due to complications, my wife and I are 1400km away from home in toronto where she has delivered out first baby (14 weeks early). The camper is a 5hr drive from home and I will be back there by myself in a week. Both my trucks are down right now but hoping that will be resolved shortly.

Id like to go buy the camper, not sure Id buy it unseen though. Im curious about mounting the camper and tying it down. I think it is too short to clear the cab on a newer truck so I could mount it on pallets to get it home, then build a base for it. Id want to build a base for the extra length that my 6.5ft bed dosent have and leave the tailgate off anyhow. It dosent appear to have tie downs (or does it?). The ad says jacks are readily avail for rent, does anyone agree. Id buy jacks and mount them later on once its at home and I could figure that out better. I was thinking on building an 8ft base to get the camper to proper height and have a perimeter frame made of steel or alum tubing and mount jacks to that, that way I can secure camper to said base, and remove everything as a unit with 4 jacks. possibly do a boatrack also.

If he still has camper in a couple/few weeks when I can get it, Ill go look at it with cash in hand.

Thanks for your opinion!

ExpoMike

I think the main problem you will have is it will not physically fit between the tailgate opening. Early models were built for trucks of the era and the tailgate openings were wider then in later years. Your's being a '99 bed, I think they are 2-3" narrower than the camper. Stan at FWC can confirm but this is the info I have seen him post before. I am not sure when the cutover year was but you will need a later model camper to fit your truck.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
$600? Buy it. At that price you can't lose, even if it's just a shell. If you can't make it fit your truck you can sell it.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Four Wheel Campers built before 1990 will Only fit ...

Chevy Trucks built in 1988 or older.

Dodge Trucks built in 1993 or older.

Ford F-150 Trucks built in 1996 or older.

Ford F-250 / F-350 Trucks built in 1998 or older.

So unless you are prepared to modify the camper and camper base (pretty big project), it will not fit in your 99 Chevy/GMC truck bed.

The camper will be TOO wide.

If you are going to drive down and get it, the easiest way to get it home would be to put the camper on a small trailer and tow it home.

Once you get it home, then you can take your time and rebuild the camper base to make it narrower.

It looks like you are good working with your hands.

: )

Attachments

• trailer truck and camper 1.jpg
    trailer truck and camper 1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 6
  • trailer with camper.JPG
    trailer with camper.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 7
  • trailer #1.JPG
    trailer #1.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 8
  • trailer with grandby 2.JPG
    trailer with grandby 2.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 6
  • trailer with grandby 1.JPG
    trailer with grandby 1.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 6

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Thanks alot guys! especially for the pics, much better than what Ive found on google search. I understand the tailgate opening now, thats great. Im really crossing my fingers that it will still be around by the time I am able to pick it up. I would initially haul it home on my 8.5x10 snowmobile trailer, then either build a flatbed with opening sides for the GMC, or build a 12 ft deck trailer with sides that open and an open cargo area in front of the camper where I could park my ATV sideways. Any ideas on getting it jacked up temporarily to get it onto my trailer?

Stan, I was hoping you could help me with this one also. Ive been thinking about the camper alot, do you see it fairly easily possible to replace the old style louvered type windows with the new style windows? Mostly my concern is the size, although if newer windows are smaller I could make a trim ring to mount it in/on. (this is mostly for the large right side picture window) Are the new style windows available for purchase?

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Have the seller measure the camper for you and compare that to your truck. My 88 Hawk, now no longer in existence (see the Dirt Sherpa build in this forum), fit in the bed of my 2011 Tundra. It did need to be on a 2 1/2" tall platform but that is an easy mod for you. That being said, I would pass on the camper and try to find one with the newer radius corner windows and a longer cabover. You'll likely dump a ton of money in whatever you buy so make sure you're starting with the right general format.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Hi Bushcoat,

We have a Granby mounted on a flat deck (truck) with drop sides similar to what you describe. In the past we have rented, a set of cable jacks (see bottom of page) from a tool rental store. To load, the camper is raised ~12” from ground, then supported with blocks. Then the jacks are lowered and re positioned outwards and two 8' steel bars (or say 4”x4”x10's) are placed below the base of the camper and on the jacks (bridging them). Then the camper is raised high enough to clear and then be lowered onto the truck deck. A pair of bottle jacks is used between deck and camper to free the trapped bars. - Hope that makes sense.

FWIW re: custom windows, here's a source used by member westyss

Good luck on that Granby, it looks like an interesting project at a good buy-in price.

Thanks alot for that, yes it makes perfect sense and now seeing the jacks I know exactly what to look for!

I never really knew of a source for windows other than Ebay before the link you posted, I checked it out and bookmarked it. Canadian too!

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
GCecchetto,

Thanks alot sir, Yes Ive seen your build and drool over it every time(both truck and camper). I think Im pretty well heart set on placing the FWC on a trailer the more I think about it. This way I can loan it out for a weekend if a family member needs it for a weekend, can haul an ATV up front, and eventually over the next couple years I would like to replace both of my trucks with something a little roomier, more reliable, etc. when my wife is out of school and we have a better idea of what we need. If I do get this FWC and it stays on a trailer, it is easier to just hook it up and go with either truck. Ideally if I do it this way, I will always have a camper on a trailer but will also buy a camper for my new truck whenever it comes along so if we need more space I can haul the FWC on trailer, plus having the new camper on the new truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94