Demise of Callen Campers?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
As of yesterday,the lot in El Cajon,Ca is devoid of any trace of Callen Campers. Unless they've moved(no sign outside) looks like that's it for a 50 yr old business.
They'd been having difficulty since dad Jim turned it over to his son Scott.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Too bad if that is true...I always liked the simplicity of some of the Callens I would see on this site...expecially that one on a dodge with the big rear doors and side windows...so functional...

Fish

Adventurer
Interesting. Haven't been there for a while. Their website has been updated since last time I looked at it. There's even pictures of my last two trucks on there. (F24, F32, D13) Kind of odd since I took those pics and didn't send them to Callen. The website says something about being updated in 2012.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
About six months ago,the website had a banner proclaiming "Jim's back". Nothing now.
Hopefully,they've moved,regrouped and will start pumping out some sturdy campers again.

First of all, I didn't do it! haha Come on regcab & fish...we all knew it was a matter of time. Scotty's star performance on the KUSI news couldn't have helped much!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My friend just sold a like new Callen cabover shell w/double doors,insulation,powdercoated rack and steps off of his 95 CTD longbed. It was built while Jim was running the show. It had the old fit and finish. Somebody got a real nice camper.

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
All I know I would really like to be lucky and find one for my 2006 short bed GMC crew cab.
If anyone has a lead on one ,please contact me. dpardy917@att.net.
Thanks
Dave

Try SoCal Trucks in San Diego. http://socaltruck.net/

I purchased a used Callen from them, for my Mazda B4000, earlier this year. It's in great condition. I paid $800. People go in and sell pick up shells for resale all the time, so send them an email and let them know what you're looking for.

I had them install it and put in some additional wiring for an outlet in the back. When I had some problems they redid everything and were very good on the repairs under warranty.

There are also a fair number of these for sale on craigslist in San Diego. Now that I own one, I also notice them more often in the neighborhood. There are definitely a lot around for all different size trucks, and they are very well-made.

I got mine after doing some research since I go down into Baja. I had a fiberglass leer shell on my last truck, but by the time I got to my campsite the gear in back was always covered in dust. I don't have that problem with the Callen. It is really well sealed.

Good luck. They are bombproof camper shells.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Try SoCal Trucks in San Diego. http://socaltruck.net/

I purchased a used Callen from them, for my Mazda B4000, earlier this year. It's in great condition. I paid $800. People go in and sell pick up shells for resale all the time, so send them an email and let them know what you're looking for.

I had them install it and put in some additional wiring for an outlet in the back. When I had some problems they redid everything and were very good on the repairs under warranty.

There are also a fair number of these for sale on craigslist in San Diego. Now that I own one, I also notice them more often in the neighborhood. There are definitely a lot around for all different size trucks, and they are very well-made.

I got mine after doing some research since I go down into Baja. I had a fiberglass leer shell on my last truck, but by the time I got to my campsite the gear in back was always covered in dust. I don't have that problem with the Callen. It is really well sealed.

Good luck. They are bombproof camper shells.

View attachment 163876
View attachment 163881
Yeah,I've had three of them on various trucks. I had to spray an expanding foam insulation product to the rear sides of the back in order to seal it up from Baja dust. Definitely go aluminum when you do your rack if it's full sized like Callen would provide. Theirs was darn near as heavy as the camper.

Anyone know how to get in touch with Jim Callen (Callen Sr.)?
My husband is a welder/mechanic/offroad enthusiast and is just itching to start Callen Campers back up again. It is his absolute dream to bring Callen Campers back to GLORY!
We loved ours and we know how much other people love theirs. We'd love to talk to Jim Callen about how to revive the brand and restore the legacy and provide quality Callen Campers once again!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
That's a noble ambition. Jim had suffered a heart attack way back before son Scott killed the company. Hopefully,the demise of the company hasn't worsened Jim's health further. I saw a 2005 Superduty that had it's bed walls bowed out from a Callen with hard offroad use. With the thinner sheet metal in use now a design change will be necessary as the rails just can't survive with the weight of those campers. I'll ask around at a shop I use in Santee.

Last edited:

HMalice

I had 2 different Callen campers on a 96 3/4 Dodge while living in San Diego. They were the kind that mounted on top of the bed rails and I can echo the weight issue, over time the front panel and sides started to separate/crack at the bed floor more so at the heavier front cabover area. Regardless I really liked their products and would do it again, I ended up stitch welding the cracked joints back together. While shopping for the first camper, I missed out on a really nice Callen camper where instead of mounting to the bed rails, it was a full slide in but essentially a taller empty shell with barn doors and larger than the bed rail mounted shells. This design seems ideal as it places weight on the floor that can take it vs the rails, pretty sure a member on this site scooped up that camper before I could get to it. :)

The company had a tough time in its later years, you and your husband may be better off starting with a clean slate. Aluminum tubed frames vs the heavier steel square tube...? Both of my bed rail mounted units were in the 8-900lb range for an 8' box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste