The Josh's M416 Trailer Build

TheJosh

Explorer
Late last night I picked up this looker. All And all it seems in decent shape. There is a couple dents on the exterior that I can learn to work out and a little bit of rust on the bottom of the tub on one of its cross supports. The frame is really solid so I don't think there is much to do there so I'm debating where I should start.

I'm thinking about pulling the tub first and maybe cleaning up some of the welds with a grinder and the chopping off the hitch so I can have a receiver type hitch welded on the front. I've welded with gas but that was 10 years ago so I'm debating if I should have someone do my welding or should I teach myself on this project? After a new receiver hitch is welded on I was thinking about taking the trailer frame into get sand blasted and them powdercoated then work on the suspension and convert the hubs to 6 lugs. Those are my thoughts for now.

Anyone have any input on where I should start and what I should take care of first?

4CDF18E4-479E-4C21-BC6F-96ED381D58D3-3752-0000029621DC50F5.jpg

CE816832-1EC3-4B55-ACCD-3B1D904B1C21-4744-000003850A39FD83.jpg

TheJosh

Explorer
I called around a few shops to get a quote to powder coat the frame of the trailer and they told me $400-$500. This seems a bit excessive. I've had tons of stuff powdercoated before but it was never that expensive. Does this seems right?

M35A2

Tinkerer
You don't really need to rip it all apart unless you really want to.

I'm not sure why you would need to convert to SOA.

I would first mint out the wires andlights. Adding small amber running lights to the fronts of the fenders helps when backing at night.

Next, open the wheel bearings andregrease. Adjust and free up the brakes as needed.

Then, address the rust inside the box. Make sure the drain valves are working properly (one at each end).

If you switch to 6 lug wheels, I am interested in the stock steel wheels. I need an extra set.

Best of luck, these trailers are the best. Here are some shots of mine.

M416 2.jpg M416 1.jpg

TheJosh

Explorer
Spring over, 6 bolt axle, matching blue paint.
Gonna look great!

I'm actually building the trailer for my silver 4runner in my avatar :) but yes I wanna paint to match.

What kinda of cj-3 spring kits should I go with?

Should I change out the axle, where can I find one? Or can I just switch out the hubs to a 6 lug?

TheJosh

Explorer
You don't really need to rip it all apart unless you really want to.

I'm not sure why you would need to convert to SOA.

I would first mint out the wires andlights. Adding small amber running lights to the fronts of the fenders helps when backing at night.

Next, open the wheel bearings andregrease. Adjust and free up the brakes as needed.

Then, address the rust inside the box. Make sure the drain valves are working properly (one at each end).

If you switch to 6 lug wheels, I am interested in the stock steel wheels. I need an extra set.

Best of luck, these trailers are the best. Here are some shots of mine.

First off nice trailer!

I will be selling the wheels and tires, but I actually have two sets, he have me two spares with the trailer.

I kinda want to rip it apart hahah and just replace all the hardware and when I paint the frame I can make sure I got every inch. I figured since its just a trailer and not a truck it'll be a lot easier.

I was thinking SOA because I want to run 35"s to match my tow rig. Any negatives with SOA?

I definitely will open up the bearings and probably replace them, anyone know what the parts numbers are? And where to locate?

Thanks for your comments I'm looming forward to this!

M35A2

Tinkerer
One other item: those prices for powder coating seem quite high. Personally I am not a fan of PC in an application like a trailer that is not just for show. PC chips and flakes and scratches. More importantly, absent perrfect application technique, corrosion will form underneath the PC, which then comes off in sheets exposing rusty metal underneath.

Plain old paint is probably a better choice. Pleanty of options are available depending on what you want to achieve. Just for informational purposes, the MV boys are presently keen on plain old Behr house paint. Apparently, once cured, it is bulletproof.

TheJosh

Explorer
One other item: those prices for powder coating seem quite high. Personally I am not a fan of PC in an application like a trailer that is not just for show. PC chips and flakes and scratches. More importantly, absent perrfect application technique, corrosion will form underneath the PC, which then comes off in sheets exposing rusty metal underneath.

Plain old paint is probably a better choice. Pleanty of options are available depending on what you want to achieve. Just for informational purposes, the MV boys are presently keen on plain old Behr house paint. Apparently, once cured, it is bulletproof.

Excellent point and makes perfect sense, I want function over pretty looks most of all. I've actually used behr exterior paint on my work trailers and it last for years before its fades. Maybe ill save a lot of money and do just por15 on the frame and paint it after either rattle can or something else and that'll be better for touch ups

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Josh, all I do with anything that has a chance of hitting rocks, being chipped, etc. Is to clean it, and prime and paint.

Touch up is easy with a rattle can, and you can keep it looking nice year round.

Powder Coat looks good, but I never understood why companies use it on things like bumpers and rock sliders, things that will for sure be in contact with rocks (if the rig is used as it's designed)

One chip in PC, and it's flaking off, as was mentioned previously.

They have some nice rattle cans out these days, and even if you spray it with good automotive paint, you can get touch up paint in a rattle can.

IMO, it's the only way to go with something that will most likely get some dings from use.

TheJosh

Explorer
Josh, all I do with anything that has a chance of hitting rocks, being chipped, etc. Is to clean it, and prime and paint.

Touch up is easy with a rattle can, and you can keep it looking nice year round.

Powder Coat looks good, but I never understood why companies use it on things like bumpers and rock sliders, things that will for sure be in contact with rocks (if the rig is used as it's designed)

One chip in PC, and it's flaking off, as was mentioned previously.

They have some nice rattle cans out these days, and even if you spray it with good automotive paint, you can get touch up paint in a rattle can.

IMO, it's the only way to go with something that will most likely get some dings from use.

Thanks that's the route I will go. Ill take the trailer apart. Pressure wash, por15 the frame and the top coat with a nice rattle can and call it a day!

Now for the suspension and hubs. What should I get and from where to clear some 35"s and is it possible to swap hubs to a 6 lug to use Toyota wheels?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne