Shower and toilet enclosure thread

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
I'd be interested in hearing what people have to say about the Cabela's shower enclosure as well. I'm also considering the Zodi unit...

From looking back in this thread, it looks like the cabela's unit might be the same as the black canyon one that 24hoursofnevada uses.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I have used the Cabela's shower enclosure. And I also own the Sportsman's Warehouse copy version. They both take too much time to assemble/disassemble unless you're setting it up for 4-5 days or more of camping (IMO). And if you're in windy conditions you better stake the entire enclosure down...

The one I have been using and really like over the other two I own is the spring steel collapsible Outback. It is super fast to setup and collapse...even for roaming expeditions where you're in a different camp each night. No it doesn't have a center hook in the ceiling but the quick set-up/tear-down makes up for it. As mentioned above I have the SW and also a PahaQue...but the Outback is the one that gets used now. Want to buy my others?

ExpoMike

OverlandXJ said:
Quick search brought me back here...

Those with the Pett toilet, is it stable? Will it hold up to use from 225# users?

Yes, I'm 240 and it's been tested at a high rate then that. No problems.

We were a little septical when we first ordered the PETT and P'UP tent but after using them on two trips, they rock. For my wife, there was no other way she would join me on trips without some form of a toliet. This fit the bill. I will say that the height of the toliet is lower then any current standard home toliets but you get used to it quickly.

As far as the PETT P'UP tent, it really is easy to setup. We set it up and tore it down in about 5 minutes on a lunch time potty stop. The biggest issue with most of these light weight tents is dealing with the wind. During this stop, I had to hold the poles from the upwind side or it would have blown away. Now this was in 15-20mph winds mind you.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Another Outback Porta Privy user here. Here's another great thread on toilet and shower enclosures -

Can't beat the quick set up of the Outback. Literally seconds, once you free it from it's storage bag. Once you get the hang of folding it up, it packs away quickly too. The soap pockets, towel hanger, sunroof, shower head tie and removable floor make for some nice options in a $40 package.

I was on a trip once with a fella (who shall remain anonymous) and his $200 Paha Que shower tent blew away in a strong wind, even with the floor secured and the tent staked down. So I'm leary of spending too much on a tent that might 'disappear.'

Storing the large round Outback on the go is the only issue I have with it. It's not bad but I prefer the knocked down Pett tent, which folds up like a camping chair, over the big discus Outback. YMMV....

MaddBaggins

Explorer
I was considering going with the PETT system. A huge plus is that it all goes into one case. Keeps gear organized. Plus get one of those wood floors from Cabelas and it becomes a potty/shower room. I'll be picking up a bug weed sprayer and adapting it for shower use. far cheaper than Zodi's.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I have spent countless hours reading and reading all the shower, toilet and enclosure threads & posts on soooooo many forums... I have narrowed it down to the PETT toilet which I will order from one of our forum sponsors.

Now I am trying to figure out what to do with for a shower and enclosure. We are a family of 6 - Suzi & I, 3 boys, and 1 daughter. I am thinking about buying one of these: http://www.survivalstore.com/r7s7lab2.html , then use a 2 gallon metal sprayer from ACE Hardware to heat up the water in. But I am still up in the air about that.

The biggest hurdle for me seems to be the shower/toilet enclosure. I need something that is quick to set up and take down for those potty breaks on the trail,:bike_rider: yet is strong enough to hold a shower head for 6 showers at the end of the day.:friday: Any suggestions on that one?

ckkone

Explorer
Can anyone that owns an Outback shelter post some pics of the inside and outside? And, how do the water proof floor work, does it have a drain?

Bergger

Explorer
Okay the wife was at work tonight so I was able to reach a new level of dorkdome. I set up the Outback privy in the house and took some quick pics for you. It is really easy to use and for $40 is great. I've used it for a total of about 14 days and it has held up well. I had it free standing and a strong gust of wind blew it away but it was retrieved undamaged. I then used the 4 guy lines to stake it in along with the 4 corner stakes and it did not move. Add the 4 sand bags and the thing will not go anywhere. It also has a glow in the dark zipper around the door so it can be seen at night. The only problem I had was the two interior pockets tore. They are not very sturdy and the kids tore them in their haste to grab the t.p. over a number of occassions. I simply cut them off.

This is everything it comes with, minus the storage bag. The shelter, floor, 4 sand bags, 8 stakes and bag. It all fits in the storage bag. The main storage bag has a side pouch for the stakes and sand bags.
View attachment 17188

The hole on the back wall is for your shower head/hose.
View attachment 17189

The floor is simply a blue tarp cut to shape. It is held in place by 8 velcro connectors. I have yet to use mine as a shower, only for a toilet, so I have never actually used the floor in the field. It seems to stay in place well though.
View attachment 17190

The ceiling zips open, rolls up and is held open by elastic thingies, the strings on the back wall are to tie your shower head to. The side wall also zips open so you can reach out and retrieve your towel which is hung on a strap sewn to the out side of the wall.
View attachment 17191

Outside view of the zipper and towel strap just below it.
View attachment 17192

ckkone

Explorer
Thanks! I like it and with the money saved I could get cedar decking to stand-on when taking a shower. Anyone using the cabela's shelter want to add their $.02?

kcowyo

ExPo Original
stevenmd said:
The biggest hurdle for me seems to be the shower/toilet enclosure. I need something that is quick to set up and take down for those potty breaks on the trail,:bike_rider: yet is strong enough to hold a shower head for 6 showers at the end of the day.:friday: Any suggestions on that one?

If I were on the trail with my 3 year old little diva and she said to me, "Daddy I gotta go now, now!", I know I could have my Outback set up in less than 1 minute from pulling it out of the truck. True story.

I have yet to use the shower head tie strap to hold the shower head in place. Since showering with the Zodi or most other camp shower kits is more akin to rinsing off at the beach, I don't want the shower head in a fixed position. It's quicker and better controls the amount of water used, to use the shower head to hose one's self off. Sure you feel and look like a dog chasing it's own tail with that method, but it's effective.

Good pics Bergger.

gier

I have the 35 buck shower tent from walmart. It has a floor and is strong enough to hold a shower bag in it The bag is kind of low though. I use it with a electric shower. Its great. Not as big as some of the others but its better than no shower at all.

VikingVince

Explorer
I have the PETT toilet and the PETT toilet/tent enclosure which I also use for showering with my Zodi. The tent is really fast...goes up and comes down in one minute b/c of the quick-set design with the rods built in.

Check out this new model from Cabelas...big...nice for basecamp if you're there for extended period. Wives/girlfriends would like it.
s7_518187_imageset_01

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
VikingVince said:
Check out this new model from Cabelas...big...nice for basecamp if you're there for extended period. Wives/girlfriends would like it.
s7_518187_imageset_01

I hadnt seen that one, it's huge. You could use it as a changing room as well.

VikingVince

Explorer
OverlandXJ said:
I hadnt seen that one, it's huge. You could use it as a changing room as well.

Yeah...it's intended for that...even has a "closet" with clothes rod!!
It's 8' long x 4' wide and stands 8.5' high!!!
Would probably be a PITA to set up but for extended camps, might be worth it.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
VikingVince said:
Yeah...it's intended for that...even has a "closet" with clothes rod!!
It's 8' long x 4' wide and stands 8.5' high!!!
Would probably be a PITA to set up but for extended camps, might be worth it.

Memorial Day camp every year consists of about a dozen people, each needing a shower or two. Setup and teardown wouldnt be difficult with the extra hands. The ladies in our group would prefer this as opposed to my smaller shelter.

Thanks for the link, i'll have to check it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94