RTT on trailer and changeing room

XJINTX

Explorer
Do those of you that use your RTT on a trailer miss being able to add or use a changeing room?

I want to add a RTT but really like a changing room option... would be place for Dog(s) to hang at night.

Errant

Explorer
I don't use my RTT on the trailer, because of the changing room. I use it a lot and not want to have to go without it.

ThirstyCamel

I'm building and extendable rack on my trailer so I can keep the changing room. I'll lower the rack to get the RTT under the slipstream while driving and then extend it to be able to use the changing room and also to be able to stand under the awning that covers my kitchen setup

XJINTX

Explorer
ThirstyCamel... please keep me posted! My trailer is a home build and could be modified. I am just not sure on safe proper way to add the additional height.

XJINTX

Explorer
That is a nice setup JeepFreak... you said it's solid when lifted with just those 4 corner points of contact?

I guess I need to talk with my welder ;)

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
That is a nice setup JeepFreak... you said it's solid when lifted with just those 4 corner points of contact?

I guess I need to talk with my welder ;)

I had me my wife and a 1.5 year old up there in a thunderstorm in 20+ mph gusts (at least) and it barely wiggled.

huskyfargo

Adventurer
Mine could stand to be about 6" taller, but it's not bad:

IMG_0512.jpg

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I have had the same problem with my trailer and tent. I looked at the "made for trailer" tents that have an annex room and most that I saw were in the $2k-$3K range and I could not go there.

My answer was to buy a ARB Simpson III and annex and have Rainy Pass Repair in WA cut 10" off the annex and put it all back together. Here is what I ended up with and still at less then the other tents.

Before the cut:

Annex1.jpg

After the cut:

RTTAnnex4.jpg

XJINTX

Explorer
HuskyFargo could you please give me the height of your mounting bars? My trailer looks to be close to the height of yours. I could definitely work with that setup!

tdittyrocks

Observer
Here is my setup. The RTT can be left in the lower position for travel or if the annex is not needed or lifted to full height, around 6'8" off the ground for the annex. The lid to the trailer can be opened easily whether the tent and annex are deployed or not.

Attachments

• IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    618.9 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0246.jpg
    IMG_0246.jpg
    638.3 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 132

loup407

Adventurer
I recently put a Globe Drifter on top of my Horizon in order to gain the changing room. Yes, it wasn't cheap. Yes, it was worth it. After bolting it onto the Horizon, we took off for a four-week trip. We didn't always deploy the room, but when we did, it was nice to have a place to eat dinner when the weather was inclement, or to change in a crowded campground.

brentbba

Explorer
Here is my setup. The RTT can be left in the lower position for travel or if the annex is not needed or lifted to full height, around 6'8" off the ground for the annex. The lid to the trailer can be opened easily whether the tent and annex are deployed or not.

tdittyrocks - what kind of extension lift is that? Details please. Right now on my CDN M101 my Thule bars sit 60" off the ground. Just not high enough for an ARB Simpson III or similar knockoff. Trailer tents from Ezi Awn or Howling Moon are just outrageously expensive new and rarely come up for sale used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles