Tacoma Build Advice

dirtpro06

Well, I am nearing the end of paying off my current vehicle so my dream of owning a Tacoma is getting closer! Let me say up front that I completely understand that this (and every) truck will be a build of compromises. I am under no delusion that I can build a Moab ready truck and retain relatively decent fuel economy. My purpose here is to expand the capabilities of the stock truck without going overboard in any one direction. I do understand that every accessory I add to the truck adds weight. This will not be an all at once build, and as such I'm sure I will tweak it as I gain my own experience. That said I am the planning type and I like to know where I am going before I start out. What I am looking for from you all is the voice of experience. Feel free to point out things i have not thought of or problems that might arise from my ideas. Thanks!

PURPOSE:
1. All weather daily driver - gives me mobility year round, including in snow. Enables me to pull out less prepared friends. Is driven 2-3 days per week.
2. Cross country base camper for 2 - cross a couple states, depart from pavement, set up camp. Sleep in the bed if desired. Explore the area via unimproved roads and "jeep trails".
3. Car camping for 4 with lots of gear.
4. Future SAR vehicle - I have yet to find any wilderness SAR groups in my area
5. Ferrying products to events to sell.

MODIFICATIONS:

1. DCLB TRD Sport with the tow package: double cab for hauling 4 full sized people; long bed so I can sleep back there and carry more gear. Tow package for the tranney cooler, oil cooler and better battery.

2. Bed Cap: Leaning towards an ARE brand cap here. I want a cab height cap that will blend well with the truck and give me the option of a windoor. I've also heard that an opening front window is worth the extra cash. Reasons? ability to carry more crap and keep it out of the weather. Also I want the ability to sleep in the bed on trips. I plan to build a sleeping platform in the bed with a storage system underneath to facilitate uncluttered storage. Everything in it's place.

3. Lift/Tires: I am leaning towards OME suspension with tall skinny AT tires. The main purpose of this is to increase my angles (approach, departure, etc). I'm currently deciding between BFG ATs or Michelin LTXs. I plan to have a separate set of mud tires and wheels for the wet season as Oklahoma trails get very muddy.

4. Sliders: I consider these a must due to the long wheelbase of the DCLB. I plan to mount these just wide enough so my 5'3" wife can use them as steps to enter the vehicle. I'm not looking for a running board here, just enough to get a foot on.

5. All Pro Front Bumper: This provides me with a better approach angle, multiple recovery points, off road lighting and a winch. The modular design makes my wallet happy. I realize it is not as sturdy as other designs, but I am ok with the compromise.

6. Rear Bumper: I am unsure of what brand/model I will go with but I do want it to reach around the sides to protect the bottom of the bed. This also gives me more recovery points and extra reverse lighting. I have considered adding barn door swing outs but I'd like to try to get everything inside the vehicle before adding one.

7. Communications: UHF and CB. These are the bands that the people i talk to use. I may also mount an external cell antenna for better reception. I have handheld UHF radios that I use now and plan to get a handheld CB to double check how much I'll use it before going with a vehicle radio.

8. Navigation/Computer: I plan to mount a laptop in the truck and run GPS software with it. I run an external GPS antenna which I will mount to the truck and works with my DeLorme Topoquads maps. My other uses for the computer are to use as an mp3 player hooked into the Taco's sound system, writing articles in the field and finally for jumping on wifi hotspots for internet access in town. I plan to mount this on a folding mount so it can be stowed when not in use.

9. On Board Air: I consider this a must so I can air down and back up at will.

10. Fridge. This is an "almost for sure" mod for me. I am sure I want one as I take frequent day trips and would love to ditch the cooler. I just cant figure out where to put one while retaining the rear seats and an open platform in the rear for sleeping!

11. Other modifications I have considered:
cargo rack over bed with extra lighting
Toyota cargo rack runners over cab
dual battery
supplamental guages
built in water supply
strobes (SAR)
air lockers
VHF radio or HAM
Extended range fuel tank
numerous smaller fixes

Last edited:

m3bassman

Observer
Well, I am nearing the end of paying off my current vehicle so my dream of owning a Tacoma is getting closer! Let me say up front that I completely understand that this (and every) truck will be a build of compromises. I am under no delusion that I can build a Moab ready truck and retain relatively decent fuel economy. My purpose here is to expand the capabilities of the stock truck without going overboard in any one direction. I do understand that every accessory I add to the truck adds weight. This will not be an all at once build, and as such I'm sure I will tweak it as I gain my own experience. That said I am the planning type and I like to know where I am going before I start out. What I am looking for from you all is the voice of experience. Feel free to point out things i have not thought of or problems that might arise from my ideas. Thanks!

PURPOSE:
1. All weather daily driver - gives me mobility year round, including in snow. Enables me to pull out less prepared friends. Is driven 2-3 days per week.
2. Cross country base camper for 2 - cross a couple states, depart from pavement, set up camp. Sleep in the bed if desired. Explore the area via unimproved roads and "jeep trails".

MODIFICATIONS:

1. DCLB TRD Sport with the tow package, roof rack: double cab for hauling 4 full sized people; long bed so I can sleep back there and carry more gear. Tow package for the tranney cooler, oil cooler and better battery. Roof rack for future lighting options.

2. Bed Cap: Not sure on brand yet but I want a cab height cap that will blend well with the truck and give me the option of a windoor. I've also heard that an opening front window is worth the extra cash. Reasons? ability to carry more crap and keep it out of the weather. Also I want the ability to sleep in the bed on trips. I plan to build a sleeping platform in the bed with a storage system underneath to facilitate uncluttered storage. Everything in it's place.

3. Lift/Tires: I am considering a 3" or less suspension lift to allow me to run mildly larger tires and to increase my angles (approach, departure, etc). If I change tires much I will definitely regear to get back lost MPGs. Also, I'll be honest I love the look of a DCLB!

4. Sliders: I consider these a must due to the long wheelbase of the DCLB. I plan to mount these a little wide so my 5'3" wife can use them as steps to enter the vehicle.

5. All Pro Front Bumper: This provides me with a better approach angle, multiple recovery points, off road lighting and a winch. The modular design makes my wallet happy.

6. Rear Bumper: I am unsure of what brand/model I will go with but I do want it to reach around the sides to protect the bottom of the bed. This also gives me more recovery points and extra reverse lighting.

7. Communications: UHF and CB. These are the bands that the people i talk to use. I may also mount an external cell antenna for better reception.

8. Navigation: I plan to mount a laptop in the truck and run GPS software with it. I run an external GPS antenna which I will mount to the truck.

10. Other modifications I have considered:
dual battery
fridge
built in water supply
roof rack with area lighting and spotlight(s)
strobes
air lockers
VHF radio or HAM
numerous smaller fixes

sounds like you got it figured out. my canopy has windoors on it and it is an priceless feature when the canopy is filled to the roof and you need to access something up near the cab.

my sliders are the widest part of my truck. they make great steps but sometimes i wish i had grip tape on top to prevent passengers from slipping when getting in. had a few fall already.

front bumper wise, IIRC allpro makes theirs out of thin steel. not the strongest option.

for the rear, check out CBI, they make amazing rear bumpers.

cant go wrong with a tacoma. well, kinda, a first gen tacoma dbl cab would be much better choice :D

downhill

Adventurer

PURPOSE:

MODIFICATIONS:

1. DCLB TRD Sport with the tow package, roof rack: double cab for hauling 4 full sized people; long bed so I can sleep back there and carry more gear. Tow package for the tranney cooler, oil cooler and better battery. Roof rack for future lighting options.

2. Bed Cap: Not sure on brand yet but I want a cab height cap that will blend well with the truck and give me the option of a windoor. I've also heard that an opening front window is worth the extra cash. Reasons? ability to carry more crap and keep it out of the weather. Also I want the ability to sleep in the bed on trips. I plan to build a sleeping platform in the bed with a storage system underneath to facilitate uncluttered storage. Everything in it's place.

3. Lift/Tires: I am considering a 3" or less suspension lift to allow me to run mildly larger tires and to increase my angles (approach, departure, etc). If I change tires much I will definitely regear to get back lost MPGs. Also, I'll be honest I love the look of a DCLB!

4. Sliders: I consider these a must due to the long wheelbase of the DCLB. I plan to mount these a little wide so my 5'3" wife can use them as steps to enter the vehicle.

5. All Pro Front Bumper: This provides me with a better approach angle, multiple recovery points, off road lighting and a winch. The modular design makes my wallet happy.

6. Rear Bumper: I am unsure of what brand/model I will go with but I do want it to reach around the sides to protect the bottom of the bed. This also gives me more recovery points and extra reverse lighting.

7. Communications: UHF and CB. These are the bands that the people i talk to use. I may also mount an external cell antenna for better reception.

8. Navigation: I plan to mount a laptop in the truck and run GPS software with it. I run an external GPS antenna which I will mount to the truck.

10. Other modifications I have considered:
dual battery
fridge
built in water supply
roof rack with area lighting and spotlight(s)
strobes
air lockers
VHF radio or HAM
numerous smaller fixes

Having a clear idea of where you want to be is great. You have obviously thought through that. If you want wider sliders I would not mount them wide. I would buy a set from one of the many custom builders and have them build you a wider set. That said, I would advise against doing it. Sliders are already wider than the body, so there will be room for a foot when getting in. Remember too that anytime you have to lean into the truck for something, that slider will be against your leg. That's especially disconcerting when it's covered with mud. The normal width sliders are bad enough.

Just a general comment that you might or might not find useful:
I've been traveling by various vehicles for a few decades. I have spent weeks, months and years out there. I've been living in my truck with a small trailer now for over 3 years in every conceivable circumstance. I think one of the biggest mistakes that people make in planning a build is over building. The analogy is a swiss army knife with 100 blades. At some point the whole mess succumbs to it's own size and mass. I've tried that. Tacomas in particular do not do so well in this regard. You read about the results like premature wheel bearing failure, steering rack failure, rear differential failure, CV axle failure, CV boot wear,...and the list goes on. These trucks are fairly lightly built. I can't afford any of that, and my means to deal with those problems are limited. Hence my philosophy: Keeping the truck light is perhaps the greatest virtue to strive for. It does little good to carry several hundred pounds of armor if the weight results in a broken leaf spring. I see lots of builds that are a virtual showroom of the coolest stuff ever. Every contingency covered, every desire fulfilled. I understand the appeal. The items that make it into my build now are things that have definite and critical uses. It's not as exciting! Every item is scrutinized right down to the tools in my tool box. I carry water in square blue plastic jugs. The tires I run are 235/85-16 - E. As you might imagine, I hardly ever get laid :sombrero: There is no fat, and resourcefulness figures heavily into my scheme. Over the years I have found that no matter how I try to plan, there will always be somethng that requires a part or tool or something that I do not have anyway. Still, you will find my truck in the most unlikely places, and getting through the worst weather when others flounder. I have to depend on that.

dirtpro06

Thanks for the responses guys

they make great steps but sometimes i wish i had grip tape on top

That's a good thought, that hadn't crossed my mind. Perhaps some sort of pattern in the metal would be in order to deal with muddy boots...

front bumper wise, IIRC allpro makes theirs out of thin steel. not the strongest option.

That's true, the wings in particular are of a thinner steel than others. Currently that's a compromise I'm willing to make to lighten the load. IIRC the all pro bumper without goodies is already 60 pounds heavier than the stock bumper.

If you want wider sliders I would not mount them wide. I would buy a set from one of the many custom builders and have them build you a wider set. That said, I would advise against doing it. Sliders are already wider than the body, so there will be room for a foot when getting in. Remember too that anytime you have to lean into the truck for something, that slider will be against your leg. That's especially disconcerting when it's covered with mud. The normal width sliders are bad enough.

Enough space for a foot is all the room I need. The last thing I want to do is make the truck unnecessarily wide. I'd never fit some of the places I like to go if I did! I hadn't thought about the slider being in the way when you lean into the truck but that makes alot of sense.

Keeping the truck light is perhaps the greatest virtue to strive for. It does little good to carry several hundred pounds of armor if the weight results in a broken leaf spring. I see lots of builds that are a virtual showroom of the coolest stuff ever. Every contingency covered, every desire fulfilled. I understand the appeal. The items that make it into my build now are things that have definite and critical uses.

I hear you loud and clear. My last "expedition" vehicle was a bone stock 1988 4Runner. I carried my gear in duffle bags and rejoiced when the back window decided to go down! Not overbuilding is definitely one of my goals because I know if I build too much in one direction I will lose capabilities in others.

:smiley_drive:

m3bassman

Observer
yes the plate bumpers are heavy. i wouldnt call it a compromise since it is still an upgrade from the plastic stock one.

as for the width of the sliders. i totally understand what downhill is saying. I dont think it is much of an issue though. its one of those things you learn to live with. plus by mounting them out and angled up slightly, it protects your door that much more, not just the rocker panel. also it gives you a nice step to stand on and scout from if need be.
old picture of my rig for reference on the width.
IMAG0269.jpg

upcountry

Explorer
Sounds like a great plan. I have recently chased a similar project and am still very happy with it, but had to draw the line and say enough is enough!

dirtpro06

Copy that on angling the sliders up to protect more of the door...not sure I'll go quite as wide as you did though bassman!

Upcountry, that's a good looking truck you have there.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Welcome from another okie! I went with a toytec adjustable suspension and bfg a/t's for tires, and really love the combination. Good luck on the build and look forward to pics.

Seeker

Adventurer
Just get out there, see what you need, and make the adjustments. I ran a shell and rack on the back of my truck for years until I realized they were more pain than they were worth for my application.

If you're going to put a shell on your bed, you might look and see if there are other air-gaps in the bed itself that need to be sealed to keep the dust out. I know the tailgate will probably need a gasket. In the 95.5-04 models, the bed was chock-full of holes under the bed-rail and virtually impossible to seal such that the dust stays out.

I've found that fuel seems to be a big determining factor in how long I can stay out and where I want to go. I carried 15 gallons of fuel in three jerry cans for a long time. This worked, but it might be more convenient if you can find a long range tank you can use.

On-board air is great. I found I was much more willing to air-down when I knew I could re-fill my tires at my own whim and didn't need to rely on a gas station or someone else. This meant I was almost always running the right pressure for the conditions.

Flat tires suck. Run good tires. Run good tires. Run good tires.

You might go with portable radios for a while, rather than hard-mounts, and see which you really use most. Then, if needed, get a hard-mount version of that radio and keep the hand-held version of the other. I've also found it uesefull to have a handheld radio in general so one person can go off and do things and still maintain contact with the vehicle without cell service.

For hard-mount lights - fix only what you need for driving. For camp setup, a couple portable LED or Flourescent (something that doesn't attract bugs) with a good long wire lead rocks because it can go anywhere, point at anything, and mount up anywhere. You don't have to anticipate the need - it is fully adaptable.

If you're going to mount your rear tire to your bumper, you might consider a backup camera - your view over your bumper will be virtually eliminated.

If you're doing a rear swing-out, consider a "barn door" style swingouts from each corner, or a single, half-length swing-out. The single, long-armed swing-out can really get in the way at times - like when you tow and can't open the swing-out w/o disconnecting from the trailer. Also, make sure the swingouts lock in the open position. Further, if you're going to put a shell on the cab, and do a swing-out bumper, consider getting windows on the side of the shell that swing-up and open as you won't be able to get into the bed at all without opening the swing-out otherwise.

If you're getting a roof-rack (I would try to avoid aside from some very unique situations) do your best to keep the weight down. Also, get something you can walk on. Lashing things gets significantly easier if you can get on the roof and do the work from there. Additionally, it can be a nice elevated spot to look around.

You might throw some gauges at the thing. I like to have trans temp, oil temp, and battery voltage gauges. If you're spendy, get the kind that allow you to set thresholds that alert you when they are exceeded. Idiot lights do little to aid troubleshooting and gauges could let you see the issue approaching and save you from dammage and idiot light would otherwise only alert you to.

Also, as most folks have said - GVWR is king. Keep things light. It reduces breakage, keeps gas mileage up, and lets the truck work better at altitude, and lets the vehicle crawl over things easier when push comes to shove.

Last edited:

downhill

Adventurer
If you're doing a rear swing-out, consider a "barn door" style swingouts from each corner, or a single, half-length swing-out. The single, long-armed swing-out can really get in the way at times. Also, make sure the swingouts lock in the open position.

If you're getting a roof-rack (I would try to avoid aside from some very unique situations) do your best to keep the weight down. Also, get something you can walk on. Lashing things gets significantly easier if you can get on the roof and do the work from there. Additionally, it can be a nice elevated spot to look around.

You might throw some gauges at the thing. I like to have trans temp, oil temp, and battery voltage gauges. If you're spendy, get the kind that allow you to set thresholds that alert you when they are exceeded. Idiot lights do little to aid troubleshooting and gauges could let you see the issue approaching and save you from dammage and idiot light would otherwise only alert you to.

Agreed, swing outs are a mixed blessing. Mine, a full length, eventually was taken off. A single long swing out may interfere with a trailer too. Mine did.

I have just two gauges : outside ambient air temp, and rear diff temp. The Scangauge has been a very welcome addition. I believe it will measure auto transmission temp on the newer trucks.

dirtpro06

Welcome from another okie! I went with a toytec adjustable suspension and bfg a/t's for tires, and really love the combination. Good luck on the build and look forward to pics.

Thanks! I've heard good things about both the Toytech and OME suspension but I have yet to decide for sure. I am pretty much set on BFG A/Ts for my 3 season tire I plan on running a separate tire for winter/mud as OK mud and A/T tires don't mix well).

Seeker;

I absolutely plan to get out there and upgrade as needed. My list of upgrades is what I forsee that I will need as of today. I'm sure that will change some but only time will tell.

Thanks for the info on holes in the bed with concern to a shell. Personally I would rather put a flat top on the bed but I know I will need to carry more gear than that so a shell is my solution.

I have had the thought to install an extended range fuel tank because I would like to refrain from carrying multiple fuel cans (I do usually carry one).

As far as radios go, I have a couple handheld UHF radios I currently use but every off roader I know uses a CB, hence why both radios are on the list. If/when I do install a CB I will definitely have at least one hand held to go with it for spotting and such.

One of the features I like about the Sport package is the factory back up camera, which I am very excited to have!

I don't plan on using any swing outs but if I do, it will be barn door style. I'd like to keep everything inside as much as possible (yup I'd even like to get the spare in there).

I don't plan on adding a roof rack but I do want the capability if i need to one day. Thanks for the tip on needing to walk on it, I hadn't thought about that but it makes a ton of sense.

Hmm...guages. Yup that'd be good.

GVWR IS king for sure. I hear that just about everywhere I go in the overlanding world and I don't think I can be reminded about it enough! Thanks

dirtpro06

Not to necropost, but I've updated my primary post a bit. I also wanted to add that in my continuing research I had a couple phone conversations with Mario from adventuretrailers.com. I've never purchased anything from them and yet he was willing to spend almost an hour on the phone with me so I could bounce some ideas off of him and get some much appreciated advice.

Thanks Mario!

Reconsider cab height canopy ESPECIALLY if you're planning on making a bed with storage underneath.

My canopy is raised 4" above the cab height and I made a bed that fit right over the wheel wells. I felt like a sardine, in there. It was doable but i eventually got rid of the bed and now I sleep with my wife on foam inbetween the wheel wells. Its a little tighter but its nicer to have the space above you, especially if you're hanging out back there on a rainy day. Also, if you're considering a roof rack, consider a roof rack on your canopy as well. It will be a huge benefit to hanging a tarp off the back of your truck which is great for climbing in and out of the back when its raining.

DSCF0783.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online