Suspension selection and design for technical terrain

TeriAnn

Explorer
Dirty Harry said:
You mention getting more travel out of your front coilovers, however I was under the impression that the ball joint in the upper control arm and the CV joint were the limiting factors to travel on the front IFS used on Tacomas and 4Runners. Like Hornito asked, do you think that uniball upper arms would be beneficial?

As I read the first two pages in this thread, I've been getting the feeling that there is little here for us leaf sprung folks. Coiler folks & leafer folks have different ways to to deal with the same issues. Things like shackle angle and leaf to leaf resistance are of much interest to a leaf spring owner and things like cones to keep a coil spring from going for a walk at full downward articulation have absolutely no meaning.

Perhaps there should be parallel threads for different suspension types
where it seems appropriate?

I'll try & get one started for leafer owners. Meanwhile, has there been a good thread done on dynamic centre of gravity and where it meanders around while on off road trails & how you can influence it by modifications and loading your rig? Dynamic centre of gravity is a major factor when thinking about any vehicle modification and something that should be understood when dealing with things like lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles