Forgive me if I'm drooling...

hoser

Explorer
e36c_12.JPG

eBay linky

Blair G

Adventurer
Lynn said:
Don't think I had seen that one before. Is it a Unicat?
I don't think so. Interior of the camper appears a little to unrefined. Regular diamond plate opposed to 5 bar makes me think it was done in the states.
Blair

Rhode Trip

Adventurer
Blair G said:
I don't think so. Interior of the camper appears a little to unrefined. Regular diamond plate opposed to 5 bar makes me think it was done in the states.
Blair

The Ebay listing says the cabinet with diesel cooktop and granite countertop was custom made by Earthroamer, llc.

It's definitely not Unicat, some of it was put together by Earthroamer. Also, I have sincere doubts the camper is 16' long. Look at how much rear overhang I have compared to him; my camper is 4.8m = 15.8' long. You can see mine on www.unicatamericas.com "Photos & videos", the blue one. I'd guess his is 12 or at the most 13'.

Charlie

Robthebrit

Explorer
Thats looks like Rob Pickering's yard (Colorado Unimogs). He's a good honest guy, I am sure its legit but there are a few errors in the text, I'm sure its a consignment sale.

I wonder what the reserve is, the truck alone is worth more than the current bid.

Rob

jgolden

Adventurer
Nice Rig!!!

Looks like the interior could be "soften" up pretty easily.

Would you guys agree that a Unimog is the best U.S. option for worldwide Expedition Travel?

jgolden said:
Nice Rig!!!

Would you guys agree that a Unimog is the best U.S. option for worldwide Expedition Travel?

My personal opinion is that as far as a newish heavy vehicle is concerned, a U500 is the most serviceable and capable for worldwide travel. Elsewhere I've listed the differences between the U500 NA and U500 Euro spec.
Old Unimogs in the U1550L/38-2450L/38 are much easier to work on. All sorts of older trucks are as well. But very few US market trucks are seen worldwide; the U500 is an outstanding exception.
Outside North America you won't see too many F650-750s or Internationals, maybe a few in Latin America here and there. And you can't buy MANs or Ivecos in North America.
That's an obviously controversial and unanswerable question if you expect a unanimous answer.

Charlie

Lynn

Expedition Leader
jgolden said:

No.

There are opinions, but never agreement :)

I don't own one, but have been researching the last few years. IMHO it really boils down to how 'extreme' you need your RV to be. If you want 'go absolutely everywhere' capability, then it's the 'Mog.

If you want 'go pretty darn near everywhere' capability, then several people have accomplished some respectable expeditions in Mitsubishi Fuso - based rigs. Plus the Mitsus can be considerably cheaper, and (again, IMHO) come closer to comfortable highway driving..

Those two are pretty much the only two options if you want to be able to get parts outside North America.

If you aren't the DIY type, Mog-based rigs can be obtained from http://www.unicatamericas.com/

The only source I know of for off-the-shelf Mitsu - rigs is http://www.ruf-inc.com/

Again, I have no experience with either.

A good source of info and discussion is www.expeditioncampers.com

Robthebrit

Explorer
Lynn said:
No.

Those two are pretty much the only two options if you want to be able to get parts outside North America.

They are your only options if you want to get parts inside North America. Outside the US there are lots of trucks that are servicable worldwide. To name a few: Mercedes, MAN, Volvo, ERF, Iveco, DAF. The Japanese heavy trucks have the same problem as the US trucks, in that they are not used worldwide.

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles