Paiting a rooftop cargo box?

zuren

Adventurer
(edit - title should read "Painting")

I'm curious if anyone has ever painted a rooftop cargo box? I have a 5 yr. old Thule CascadeXT rooftop box that I use to keep bulky, long and odd shaped items out of the van (skis, fishing poles, paddles, etc.). I was washing everything today and discovered that being outside all summer has caused the clear coat to bubble up. It looks like one giant sunburn blister from the nose of the top cover to the back.

I'm exploring my options. I got a note back from Thule Customer Support saying there is no preferred method to repair it, but I could cover it in stickers. While I appreciate the suggestion, I'm going for more of an original OEM look.

I could take it to a body shop and see what they could do. I also have a partial can of roll-on bedliner (would be hard to undo/reverse in the future). I'm just wondering if anyone has encountered the same issue and what you did, either as a repair or as a modification?

Thanks!

preacherman

Explorer
I have painted lots of plastic car parts. The krylon plastic paint seems to work best. The key is in the prep. I have found the best way to prep it is to clean it really well with TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) then after it dries wipe it down with a paint prep spray and clean rag. Then paint. For extra protection you can also spray an adhesion promoter on before you hit it with the spray paint that will ensure the paint sticks.

The whole process relies on the prep. Good luck and have fun!

sseaman

Adventurer
I painted an old Thule box I had to cover up a crack repair, I also used the Krylon plastic spray paint and it has held up well.

zuren

Adventurer
I apologize if it is bad form to dig up my own thread 3 years later but I'm just now getting to this project! Over the 3 years the clear coating has almost been completely stripped off the box.

When you guys used the Krylon product, what finish did you use? I'm thinking gloss might repel water and dirt better. Also, any experiences with Plasti Dip? Some people recommend it but then mention it will only last about a year on a roof top box before touch ups are needed. That is a little too high maintenance for me.

Thanks!

rayra

Expedition Leader
What material are they made of? Is it fiberglass or ABS or something else altogether?
I'd go after the remaining clearcoat, get it removed without damaging the base, then lightly sand the whole thing to promote paint adhesion, wipe / prep the surface and spray it in the cool and shade. Give the fresh paint as much time as possible to lay down before it starts curing. Give it a couple months to cure / out-gas, and then hit it with a good wax. And keep it waxed going forward.

shop around some body shops, you might find a reasonable price for them to paint it, might be worth it. Or get an HVLP sprayer and learn and do it yourself. It isn't hard and will look a lot better than rattle-cans.

eta or have it coated in bedliner. But that bill will likely be as much as buying a new one.

robert

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a perfect project for Plasti-Dip.

Too easily damaged by things like branches and once it starts to peel the wind will make it worse. Good prep work, a plastic paint primer then paint as suggested or bedliner would probably work. That elastomeric paint that you use on mobile home/shed roofs might work (it's available in white and helps reflect heat)- then again it might now, I don't know.

Binkie

How about vinyl?

I can't imagine prepping and painting a second time after unfortunate results the first time. Plastic just isn't suited to painting, especially a second time. successful painting is all about the prep, and there may not be a great way to clean up/blend the remaining paint.

jrporter

Sounds like a perfect project for Plasti-Dip.

Not sure if your comment is tongue in cheek, but I just got a Thule Evolution 1600 that I mounted on a kayak trailer for wet stuff and paddles. I'd like to have some kind of protective layer on the floor of the box to keep stuff from sliding around. I'm looking at Plasti Dip, mats, etc. Any thoughts????

rayra

Expedition Leader
My roof rack deck was little more than an idea sketch when I made my first reply to this topic. I've used Rustoleum Hammered Finish paint and I have to say it is very durable so far. And it is taking the full brunt of SoCal summer weather without any trouble at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior