Interest in a Hannibal awning group buy

ScottReb

Adventurer
Hey all. I have contacted Hannibal of SA for an awning purchase. Im wondering if anyone else is interested in getting one. The prices I received, when queried about 1 awning were, 2.4M -$550 & 1.9M- $460. I have not gotten any shipping cost yet. I figure if we brought over 10 or so it would help all who are interested. I dont think there will be a big change in unit price, just shipping costs. They also make a 1.4M for the rear of vehicles as well. I will be purchasing a 2.4 and possibly a 1.4 with or without any other buyers. Hopefully in 30-45 day timeframe. Awning only at this time please. I will give this about 2 weeks, then contact them for cost based on how many are interested.

This is just a first call to gauge interest. Please post your name and location if interested.
Im located in Sacramento CA area.
Thanks Scott

Here is the list I will try and keep updated. 10-23.
ScottReb- 2.4 & 1.4
DirtAddictLC80- 2.4
seetheworld349- 2.4
Toymaster- 1.9
Hobietony- 1.9
ttn333- 1.9
DMOZ- 1.9(w sides)
Mike- 2.4
Oskar- 2.4
Forty4fun- 2.4
DDub- 2.4

I have interested as:
Kingnailer
Putnam Dan
Jrose609
Jevy

This gives a count of
2.4-7
1.9- 4 (1 with sides)
1.4- 1

Last edited:

Kingnailer

I'm interested as long as Sierra 4x4 is in no way affiliated with the sale.
I refuse to do business of any kind with Chris.

I'd be interested in this. I have an 80 series Land Cruiser with a full length Baja Roof Rack. I am wondering if that is sturdy enough and will it fit the 2.4M with the right brackets?

Also, is it possible to order the side walls on the same buy? Cost on that?

Last edited:

ScottReb

Adventurer
Nothing with Sierra. I will talk a little more with Hannibal later this week. As soon as I have firm prices I will post a date for finalizing. Then we can figure out shipping to individuals. I will keep you posted.

Hafwit

Adventurer
I find it surprising that somebody hasn't attempted to copy the design of the Hannibal awning. It doesn't look too complicated, and there is an opportunity to improve on the Hannibal design by offering a greater variety of sizes and perhaps even a swing-out arm to enable it to be used in different configurations. If there is a fabricator lurking here, you might find this to be a money maker too.

Cheers,
Greg

ScottReb

Adventurer
I actually built the swing arm and roller and a complete 2.4 copy for my land cruiser a couple years ago. The swingarms and associated pieces are easy. I built mine out of steel as a prototype, since I had enough around it didnt cost anything. Then I went to several upholstery, tent maker and other fabric type shops to have the awning sewn. Out of a canvas type material I got quotes from a low of $400 to $750. This was just the fabric and I built the arms out of free steel I had. Add in aluminum and fabbing that and it gets even more. You cant get the SA or AUS style canvas in the US. It is readily available in EU. I was going to get family to ship from EU and that would have increased the cost even more. So even at Hannibals cost plus shipping etc its very reasonable.

Im going to try and talk to Hannibal on the phone this week. Ill update when I do.

Hafwit

Adventurer
I think it can be done cheaper than that. I don't feel a need to have that specific material for the awning since there are many good alternatives available here. I will talk this over with a fabricator I know and see if the cost can be brought down. If a company with the resources here were to make a good comparable design, I'm sure it could be produced in quantity (especially in a cheap labor country) for a lot less.

Cheers,
Greg

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I believe corbin8or was working on something along these lines - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/78187-Zebra-Built-awnings!

ZebraAwning_zps56db1b4a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online